Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Going to the track thursday

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 07:11 PM

Going to the track thursday

Im gonna test my car out at Gingerman in Michigan. My current setup is eibachs on stock shocks, RSB, FSTB, and G-Force KWDS tires. This is my first time going to an actual road course so it should be fun. Any tips that would be helpful for me???

PS...Telling me not to crash is not a tip
Old 08-13-2002, 07:27 PM

Re: Going to the track thursday

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
Im gonna test my car out at Gingerman in Michigan. My current setup is eibachs on stock shocks, RSB, FSTB, and G-Force KWDS tires. This is my first time going to an actual road course so it should be fun. Any tips that would be helpful for me???

PS...Telling me not to crash is not a tip
What brakes do you have and what fluid? Make sure you put more air in the tires for the session and build speed slowly throughout the day. Don't try to go too fast too soon, bad things have a habit of happening Roadcourse driving is a blast, just try to concentrate on having fun and not going as fast as you possibly can and try not to race anyone out there. There will be people in "lesser" cars who are faster than you. It can be pretty hard sometimes not to give in and try to catch them, but it's really easy to get over your head and cause a problem or wreck your car if you try to chase them down. I'm rambling, so I'll shut up now.

Just FYI, you're going to kill the stock struts.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:28 PM

I have performance friction carbon metallic pads on...I fogot to mention this.

I already have 20k on the stock shocks. They are still good believe it or not. I am gonna get a set of AGXs though very soon.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:35 PM

I have performance friction carbon metallic pads on...I fogot to mention this.

I already have 20k on the stock shocks. They are still good believe it or not. I am gonna get a set of AGXs though very soon.
Have you replaced the brake fluid and bled them recently? At the very least, I'd bleed them. I've never tried those pads on the track, I'm curious how they'll hold up.

The stock struts may seem fine now, but if you're aggressive on the track, you'll kill them fast. That's how mine went. They seemed okay, but you hit one good size bump in the road at speed and it was like driving a Crown Vic. AGX's are great.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Have you replaced the brake fluid and bled them recently? At the very least, I'd bleed them. I've never tried those pads on the track, I'm curious how they'll hold up.

The stock struts may seem fine now, but if you're aggressive on the track, you'll kill them fast. That's how mine went. They seemed okay, but you hit one good size bump in the road at speed and it was like driving a Crown Vic. AGX's are great.
I havent bled my fluid ever. I have 37k on the car so do you recommend that I do it?? I can go buy some Motul fluid at my local performance shop, so thats not a problem.

As for the Perf. frictions they were recommended by my friend who is a serious racer. He uses them on his Z06 and they hold up very well. We will see how they perform on our cars.

Should be a lot of fun... My friend is bringing his modded E46 M3 and my other friend and his dad are bringing a Z06 and GT500 Cobra racecar. They have been to the track many times before so im sure they can provided me with some info on what to do here and there.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:51 PM

I havent bled my fluid ever. I have 37k on the car so do you recommend that I do it?? I can go buy some Motul fluid at my local performance shop, so thats not a problem.

As for the Perf. frictions they were recommended by my friend who is a serious racer. He uses them on his Z06 and they hold up very well. We will see how they perform on our cars.

Should be a lot of fun... My friend is bringing his modded E46 M3 and my other friend and his dad are bringing a Z06 and GT500 Cobra racecar. They have been to the track many times before so im sure they can provided me with some info on what to do here and there.
You should definitely change and bleed the brake fluid. Any DOT 4 fluid with a high boilng point should be fine, it doesn't necessarily have to be Motul. I use Ate Super Blue which is a lot cheaper and just as good.

You'll have to give us all a report on the PF pads, I don't think anyone else here has tried them on the track yet either.

Going in a group is definitely more fun, especially since you can get pointers.