Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Rotors or BBK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 09:04 AM
Very sound, Mike

Rotors or BBK?

As far as roadcourses/tracks goes, which would provide the most bang/buck?

a) Aftermarket slotted rotors + pads (thinking Axxis Ceramics) for about $475
b) SSBC 2-piston 12" Big Brake kit (front only) for $700, though i might have to spend another $300 to match the rear rotors (primarily for aesthetic reasons).

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by soundmike
As far as roadcourses/tracks goes, which would provide the most bang/buck?

a) Aftermarket slotted rotors + pads (thinking Axxis Ceramics) for about $475
b) SSBC 2-piston 12" Big Brake kit (front only) for $700, though i might have to spend another $300 to match the rear rotors (primarily for aesthetic reasons).

Thanks.
I personally would go with slotted rotors and pads. I would go with porterfield R4S pads and Powerslot rotors. I have these pads on my car and I am very happy with both their performance when I autocross and their streetability. I have yet to hear a single noise from these pads and their initial bite and fade reisitance is good.
I would stay away from a BBK because it bumps you into a higher class of competition, atleast in autocross. For roadcourses where more brake power is needed it might be worth it but I have never gone to a roadcourse.
Custommaxima has powerslot rotors for $199 and you can probably get a better price if you look around. The porterfeild pads are around $80-$90 a pair with the maxima.org discount. I would also pickup some SS brake lines, I'm not sure if the lines will bump you up a class or not. Hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:08 AM
Very sound, Mike

Thanks for the very informative response.

The noise issue is one of the top things i'm trying to alleviate, since i use the same car as my daily driver and would like to go on the occassional weekend course.

Would you go as far as saying that the slotted rotors+pads perform a lot better than the OEM inspite of using the same caliper?
Old 10-31-2003, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by soundmike
Thanks for the very informative response.

The noise issue is one of the top things i'm trying to alleviate, since i use the same car as my daily driver and would like to go on the occassional weekend course.

Would you go as far as saying that the slotted rotors+pads perform a lot better than the OEM inspite of using the same caliper?
I found the performance pads had a better initial bite and did slow the car down faster. The biggest change however was when slowing down from speeds of 60 mph or faster because the pads did not fade like the OEM ones so the car decelerated at a more linear rate rather than taking longer after the initial braking. It also performed much better when it was submitted to repeated braking because they did not fade at all.
While the pads and rotors were enough for me, I have been in cars with BBK's and the BBK's do perform noticeably better than the stock rotors and calipers. This is due both to there being 4-piston calipers which can produce more force and also because the radius of the rotor is larger and therefore the braking torque applied when braking is greater (Torque = radius x Force). One other thing to remember is the braking power is only as good as the grip your tires are capable of.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:41 AM

The pads make the largest difference. Remember the BBK will mainly give you fade resistance and better pedal feel. The factory calipers are plenty sufficient to stop the car, the question is can the heat be dissipated from the stock size rotor. I have experienced very few problems with my brakes. But if you road course race often, the BBK could prove helpful. I would look into the GD's run by AutoMax. I ordered my rotors from him and was very happy. The whole set of 4 will only run you about 200 bucks. I would suggest Porterfield pads too, never had them, but most seem to like them. I'm not overly impressed with my Axxis pads. I would start here, If you have fade problems go with the BBK.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:27 PM

BBK for a roadcourse. If you use stock size rotors, be prepared to replace them after a day of racing
Old 12-06-2003, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by slammed95
Definitrley get bigger brakes. The stock one's will last about 1 day.
coming from a man who's made the leap to bbk, i'd believe him. BBK if u can afford it!
Jae
Old 12-14-2003, 06:38 PM

What's the best bang for the buck with BBKs. I'm going to start road course racing I see the price range is pretty steep. Is there a modestly priced set that can hold it's own on a roadcourse? I'm not exactly in the price range of Brembo GTs.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:10 PM

fastbrakes kit all the way
Old 12-15-2003, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by mitch33x
fastbrakes kit all the way
Cool, thanks. Where could I buy this and how much does it cost?
Old 12-15-2003, 11:59 AM

I posted about a week ago about fastbreaks in the general for sale forum. Going price was under $1000 I think.
Jae