Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Some pics from our last CDC autocross...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005 | 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by gdmaxse
ST springs, St swaybars, konis at 1.8/2, fstb, rstb, stage 1 LTB

camber is around -1 front and rear

tire pressures 42/35 f/r
i think thats all but i could be forgetting something

im prolly gonna increase front camber to -2 or so
Old 07-14-2005 | 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
You guys ever get out to NASA HPDE's? Actually I think the Miata club is having one Aug 1st, NASA's is (I think) Aug 27-28.
I am going to Ripken for SCCA auto-x this weekend on Saturday afternoon heats.
FYI you don't have to be a member to race.
i usually just do autoX because i dont have the money to drop on hpde and i want to get a harness and some better tires before going to a real track, i definately want to get out on a track eventually though
Old 07-14-2005 | 10:15 AM
Conecarver

i think thats all but i could be forgetting something

im prolly gonna increase front camber to -2 or so
If you want the best performance setting...at your next event ask if anybody has a pyrometer and check your inner/outer tire temps. Or just find an empty lot and do some of your own skidpad testing (both ways around). That's the best way to determine the camber needed.
Old 07-14-2005 | 10:29 AM
this place is dead

i usually just do autoX because i dont have the money to drop on hpde and i want to get a harness and some better tires before going to a real track, i definately want to get out on a track eventually though
Depends on how hard you want to push it, regular tires are fine for the 1st time, and you don't need a harness for HPDE. I would discourage spending money on your car for the track especially when you haven't been there yet. There are some auto-x'ers that don't like it, 20-40 minutes of high speed driving is much different than 45-60sec auto-x runs. And where auto-x is a lot of sawing at the wheel, track time is mostly finessing your car around a course at speed. You can't make sudden movements at ~100mph.
Another thing is unless you have EMRA or some type of time trials available at your local track, it's actually not competition.
Actually if you wreck your car at a HPDE, your insurance will cover it because it's looked at as a driving school. You will probably be able to get away with time trialing under the same driving school umbrella.
Either way, I would recommend a track day, it brings out more of the maxima's good points, unlike auto-x.

Oh crap I forgot to take out the car seat!