Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Mid-atlantic area autocrossers...cheap tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 04:28 PM
retired moderator

Mid-atlantic area autocrossers...cheap tires

I know there's a FS forum, but this is more autocross-centered......just wanted to let you guys know that after the next event, I'll be selling my Hankook Ventus R-S2's for cheap....they have about 6 events on them (all short autocross) and have a ton of tread left...and are in very good condition overall. Size is 225/45/17 so they would be good for people running STS or lower on stock 5th gen rims.

I'm bumping up to wider rims/tires for next season, so that's why I'm giving these up....I really like the performance and will probably buy the same tires in a wider size....

So, if any mid-atlantic guys are interested, let me know. Pick-up only. Will post "current" pics of the tread after the event in a couple weeks.....
Old 10-11-2005, 04:46 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by irish44j
I know there's a FS forum, but this is more autocross-centered......just wanted to let you guys know that after the next event, I'll be selling my Hankook Ventus R-S2's for cheap....they have about 6 events on them (all short autocross) and have a ton of tread left...and are in very good condition overall. Size is 225/45/17 so they would be good for people running STS or lower on stock 5th gen rims.

I'm bumping up to wider rims/tires for next season, so that's why I'm giving these up....I really like the performance and will probably buy the same tires in a wider size....

So, if any mid-atlantic guys are interested, let me know. Pick-up only. Will post "current" pics of the tread after the event in a couple weeks.....
Irish,
you going to go to one of the Ripken auto-x's? You might want to keep the kooks for one of the Ripken events, it will be a long 45-55 sec run event. There are two events left on the schedule at Ripken. The 30th might be easier for me, but I could probably do the 16th if that is better for you.
Day of event registration is the easiest way to go, just pay attention to day of event time deadlines.
http://www.phillyscca.com/solo2/docs...s.htm#schedule
Old 10-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Conecarver

I assume you're doin the 245 Kooks - you gonna stay on the 17's or switch down to 16"?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:01 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
Irish,
you going to go to one of the Ripken auto-x's? You might want to keep the kooks for one of the Ripken events, it will be a long 45-55 sec run event. There are two events left on the schedule at Ripken. The 30th might be easier for me, but I could probably do the 16th if that is better for you.
Day of event registration is the easiest way to go, just pay attention to day of event time deadlines.
http://www.phillyscca.com/solo2/docs...s.htm#schedule
Let me think on that....I'm scheduled to run on the 23rd with CDC, but 2 sundays in a row missing football is like torture.....

maybe I'll cancel out of the CDC event and do Ripken on the 30th instead. I'll let you know in a day or two.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
I assume you're doin the 245 Kooks - you gonna stay on the 17's or switch down to 16"?
Unfortunately, I haven't found a 16 that will clear my front rotors (I have the 12" 6th gen rotors) so have to stick with 17's. I'm going to try to mix-and-match a front pair and back pair of 17x8's with 245's.

I want to get a pair of REALLY light wheels ($$$$) and a pair of not-quite-as-light wheels ($$) ....I can't justify all four $$$$ ultra-light wheels. Wife would kill me.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:12 PM
retired moderator

97SE...what class are you running?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:35 PM
retired moderator

I'm signed up now for the Ripken event on the 30th for STS. Looks like I'll get whooped up good based on the cars registered so far, but it's always fun anyhow.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:55 PM
this place is dead

97SE...what class are you running?
I don't run enough where I care, so if you're in STS I'll just run as a Non-comp in the same heat. I still run GS when I can, but there are far too many Mini's in there on R-comps. I still am not THAT serious about auto-x, I just had a son and need to get into a house, so the wife won't be excited about me buying STS or R-comp tires for fun. I somehow convinced her that a suspension upgrade is ok though , just haven't had the funds. I have gone to 4 weddings this year (3 in Tampa, 1 in Denver) and I have one more to go to in Florida, so we're keeping Southwest in business. Next season I hope to get my act together, I really want to run Watkins Glen.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:59 AM

I fully expect to be there with the 626 in STS (and will probably arrive early on the 30th). Too bad that car isn't on 17's . . . it really would benefit from an STS tire and I might start liberating more than 1 second from dark places in those last runs.

Norm
Old 10-12-2005, 08:05 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I fully expect to be there with the 626 in STS (and will probably arrive early on the 30th). Too bad that car isn't on 17's . . . it really would benefit from an STS tire and I might start liberating more than 1 second from dark places in those last runs.

Norm

The dreaded 626, oh noooooo!!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:25 PM
retired moderator

I don't run enough where I care, so if you're in STS I'll just run as a Non-comp in the same heat. I still run GS when I can, but there are far too many Mini's in there on R-comps. I still am not THAT serious about auto-x, I just had a son and need to get into a house, so the wife won't be excited about me buying STS or R-comp tires for fun. I somehow convinced her that a suspension upgrade is ok though , just haven't had the funds. I have gone to 4 weddings this year (3 in Tampa, 1 in Denver) and I have one more to go to in Florida, so we're keeping Southwest in business. Next season I hope to get my act together, I really want to run Watkins Glen.
well as you can see in the beginning of this thread....there will be some STS tires available after this event Of course, I'll be in STX tread next season

I hear you on the weddings. For me this year:
1 in Va. Beach
1 in St. Maarten (dutch antilles)
1 in Atlanta
1 in Key Largo coming up.....
Old 10-12-2005, 04:13 PM
retired moderator

by the way...what is the deal with Philly run timing and course work? Does each driver get AM and PM runs, or are all your runs on one half of the day? -this is a bit important to me, since it's quite a hike to get there...

the Philly SCCA isn't really clear on the morning vs. afternoon issue....
Old 10-12-2005, 05:15 PM

Your run heat and work heat are both in either the am or in the pm. So, for STS on the 30th, you'd only need to be there early enough to meet the registration and tech afternoon session availability and the pm session drivers' meeting. All of your runs would be in heat 3, and you'd work 4th heat.

Event Date(s) 30-Oct-2005
2nd Session:
*2nd session starts with a mandatory meeting about 12:45 PM
*Suggested arrival time- 11:00 AM
* Registration opens around 10:30 AM
* Registration closes 12:00 PM
* Tech closes at 12:30 PM
* First car off 1:00 PM

There will be a 30-minute break between AM and PM sessions to allow for walk throughs, gridding of PM cars, lunch, etc. There will be no walk throughs between heats, only between sessions.

Heat 3 - STS, STS2, STX2, STU, DS, Ladies, F125, Karts
Heat 4 - FS, GS, HS, PRO, All Mod Classes
I'll note that the break between sessions isn't quite as generous as the amount of time available for course walking before the am session gets underway, so leaving yourself enough time to watch some of 2nd heat run in addition to that needed to take care of the necessary administrative details is probably a good idea.

Norm
Old 10-12-2005, 05:33 PM
this place is dead

I'll note that the break between sessions isn't quite as generous as the amount of time available for course walking before the am session gets underway, so leaving yourself enough time to watch some of 2nd heat run in addition to that needed to take care of the necessary administrative details is probably a good idea.

Norm
Or if you get there early enough just do 1 or 2 ride-alongs, it's kind of like cheating, but isn't.
Honestly, I haven't had to work in the last few events I've been too, there have been more people than positions to work. I don't do the truck stuff, just chase the cones, but I haven't been that late, just fills up quick it seems.

Norm the auto-x pontiff (Jon) during his novice walk through talks enough where I can usually get 2 walk through's finished before he is done.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:33 PM
retired moderator

how many runs do you typically get in the session?
Old 10-13-2005, 04:11 AM

So far this (summer) season we've been getting 5 runs at all the events I've been to. A winter series Ripken event in mid-March (Standard Time) still had 4. At Ripken, you can generally expect run times to average 50 seconds, give/take ~10%.

There's some current discussion about 5 being too many for longer courses at Boeing - longer here meaning average run times in the high 30's or better (can't get 3 cars on course simultaneously at that smallish lot), but nothing of this sort has been discussed relative to Ripken. Guess I'll find out for sure come this Sunday.

[Edit]Umm, on further thought, with the time reverting to Eastern Standard at 2:00 am on 30 October, we may only get 4. Probably a few minutes less daylight than there was for the March event, actually.

Norm
Old 10-13-2005, 03:23 PM
retired moderator

Jason (soonerfan) just told me he's bringing out the 3.5 Maxima to the event as well, running novice (only his 2nd time autocrossing).....the more the merrier!
Old 10-13-2005, 04:59 PM
this place is dead

Jason (soonerfan) just told me he's bringing out the 3.5 Maxima to the event as well, running novice (only his 2nd time autocrossing).....the more the merrier!
I still think you should have done the novice thing, might have been humorous.
Josh you mind if I take a ride along for one of you runs? Intersted to see how a set up max compares to my stocker. d00df00d came out to a test and tune a while back, but I had extra people with me so I couldn't ask him.

Off topic, but I don't think it deserves it's own thread:
Tryed to change the rear valve cover gasket this past sunday, not too too bad until I realized that the stealership gave me the wrong part, had to rent a car for two days. Fixed the car in the dark (THAT was fun) Still, even if the stealership won't reimbursh me for the rental, I still spent under $100, with the spark plug seals. I have never opened up a V-6 before, had a rotary most of my life. Aside from the time and the annoying bolts by the firewall, it was interesting, definitly not a unusually hard job, would have cost at least $250-400 to get that done, I have heard higher estimates but who cares.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:27 PM
retired moderator

I still think you should have done the novice thing, might have been humorous.
Josh you mind if I take a ride along for one of you runs? Intersted to see how a set up max compares to my stocker. d00df00d came out to a test and tune a while back, but I had extra people with me so I couldn't ask him.
Yeah i thought about that, but seems kind of unfair since I've been autocrossing for a while.

Feel free to ride along - most of my best times this season have been with a passenger, for some reason.

Are you and Norm signed up yet? I didn't see you on the entry list...
Old 10-14-2005, 01:04 PM

As far as I know right now, I'll be there. I haven't been pre-registering this year for a number of reasons. But with entry lists running 130-ish against an advertised 200 limit I haven't been worried that I'd be making a trip for nothing.

Norm
Old 10-14-2005, 01:52 PM
this place is dead

As far as I know right now, I'll be there. I haven't been pre-registering this year for a number of reasons. But with entry lists running 130-ish against an advertised 200 limit I haven't been worried that I'd be making a trip for nothing.

Norm
I have never pre-registered, ever, never had a problem following this stategy. Usually because I never know if I will actually be able to go or not.
I'll be there on the 30th, it's my last run of the year before ski season.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:29 PM
retired moderator

I have never pre-registered, ever, never had a problem following this stategy. Usually because I never know if I will actually be able to go or not.
I'll be there on the 30th, it's my last run of the year before ski season.
we'll have to talk a little skiing....I've work weekends at a ski shop for the last9 years....the reason the 'kooks are coming off is because my 17's are getting snow tires
Old 10-15-2005, 09:09 AM
this place is dead

we'll have to talk a little skiing....I've work weekends at a ski shop for the last9 years....the reason the 'kooks are coming off is because my 17's are getting snow tires
I usually go up to Blue Moutain near Allentown, which I will probably continue going to since I realized that they have VERY cheap babysitting, $2/hr weekends, free on weekdays. Plus, outside of the west or Vermont, they are the highest at 1100 vertical feet and runs of a mile or more.
Where down there do you go?