Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

r-comps on front only?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:39 PM
retired moderator

r-comps on front only?

I've been pondering getting r-comps this offseason for next year, but really can't justify the cost of a full set (plus, I want to keep my shaved 'kooks for road racing or just summer street driving occasionally, so I won't have any free rims)....

so what I'm thinking about doing is picking up a pair of rims and r-comps for the fronts, and just running the shaved kooks on the back. Thoughts as to the pros/cons of this? I figure the bulk of the issues the maxima has autocrossing is related to front grip (particularly pushing through corners), whereas it's good to rotate the rear and grip is not really a problem.

anyone try out this setup or think it would be worthwhile. Otherwise, I'll probably just stay on the kooks all-around....I foresee only 4-5 events next year as I spend more time/money on the new house (that I should have by then) and my triumph....
Old 11-11-2006, 02:31 PM

i would never put r comps only on the front of MY car, but my car oversteers pretty heavily if you let off the gas in the middle of a fast turn even with the r comps on the back. the 710s have pretty much the same handling balance as my old street tires, i just can take turns faster, brake later and i rarely spin the tires out of a turn. the r comps have a lot more grip than the streets

if i was you, id put your all seasons on the back and your hankooks on the front and drive around an empty parking lot to see if it oversteers too much although im sure it will oversteer uncontrollably with rcomps on the front and streets on the rear

anyway, you'll need all 4 to catch up to me
Old 11-11-2006, 02:33 PM

oh if you do end up doing that, you should set your rear shocks fairly soft
Old 11-11-2006, 04:08 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by gdmaxse

anyway, you'll need all 4 to catch up to me
oh yeah? how about we take it to MIR
Old 11-11-2006, 04:12 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by gdmaxse

if i was you, id put your all seasons on the back and your hankooks on the front and drive around an empty parking lot to see if it oversteers too much
If you recall, I actually had to drive home from one event with two shaved kooks and two A/S proxes on the car, when I had the seized lug nut

btw, the r-comps are not to beat you. I have a much more reliable plan for that.

It probably won't be ready anytime next season though!
Old 11-11-2006, 04:59 PM

how did it handle with the a/s proxes and hankooks on there. if you are dead set on doing this my advice is to use one of the less grippy r comps like a toyo ra1 and set your rear shocks fairly soft. the thing is, the step up in grip from a summer tire to an r comp is a lot bigger than the step up from a high performance a/s tire to a summer tire. i think you'll find that it has uncontrollable oversteer in sweeping turns when you actually load the rear of the car. i know my car would be absolutely uncontrollable with street tires on the back.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:05 PM

hey can i buy those rear bearing dust caps from u, i have been paranoid about those ever since the 22nd
Old 11-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Conecarver

I like the idea but there is always the possibility of lots of oversteer on cold surfaces. Try to find somebody with your same bolt pattern who's got some lying around at an early event next year and try it. I've got two extra 265 V710's and 245 A3S03's unmounted your welcome to borrow and mount up.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:17 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
I like the idea but there is always the possibility of lots of oversteer on cold surfaces. Try to find somebody with your same bolt pattern who's got some lying around at an early event next year and try it. I've got two extra 265 V710's and 245 A3S03's unmounted your welcome to borrow and mount up.
thanks...my primary problem with finding some to borrow is that I need 17's with a 35 or lower offset to clear the front brakes....else I would just steal Gabe's when he wasn't looking.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:44 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by irish44j
btw, the r-comps are not to beat you. I have a much more reliable plan for that.

hockey puck??!!....meh
Old 11-13-2006, 05:50 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by irish44j
I've been pondering getting r-comps this offseason for next year, but really can't justify the cost of a full set (plus, I want to keep my shaved 'kooks for road racing or just summer street driving occasionally, so I won't have any free rims)....

so what I'm thinking about doing is picking up a pair of rims and r-comps for the fronts, and just running the shaved kooks on the back. Thoughts as to the pros/cons of this? I figure the bulk of the issues the maxima has autocrossing is related to front grip (particularly pushing through corners), whereas it's good to rotate the rear and grip is not really a problem.

anyone try out this setup or think it would be worthwhile. Otherwise, I'll probably just stay on the kooks all-around....I foresee only 4-5 events next year as I spend more time/money on the new house (that I should have by then) and my triumph....
A couple guys that I USED to race against before the Mini invasion actually did this..and it's what I planned to do..... eventually. However, these guys were all runing GS, so although they could upgrade some things (like struts) they didn't have as much done as you do.

You might get some additional feedback from the phillyscca or whatever other site you go to regarding this.
I know it's been done though and without disasterous results.

AND what's the big idea calling a brotha out in that "suspension and brakes" thread anyway?....