Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

ABS and brake pedal feel

Old 11-26-2007, 05:31 AM

ABS and brake pedal feel

This concerns a 5th Gen manual tranny car with OE rotors and calipers (20AE car built ~10/00, if that matters any).

If you have had any sort of ABS system failure (i.e. the 'ABS' dash light on) did you happen to notice any change in pedal feel or a change in any other aspect of braking performance?

Feel free to list any causes found for your ABS light being lit.

I'm asking this specifically in the Auto-X/Road Course forum rather than in the 5th Gen forum because I think it's more likely that people here have the necessary awareness.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-26-2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

I can't speak for the 5th gens, but I can notice a difference in my dad's I35 whenever the TCS detects a slip and shuts itself off, resulting in the ABS to stop working as well. This will last until you reset the system (mildly annoying when it's wet). In this situation, I've noticed that it takes longer to stop with the pedal in the same distance. Don't know how much that helps you...
Old 11-28-2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
In this situation, I've noticed that it takes longer to stop with the pedal in the same distance.
Thanks. Every little bit helps.

Are you referring to the distance that you are physically moving the pedal?

Can you tell me anything about the force that you feel against your foot as you're braking when this happens?

I'm intentionally providing as few hints as possible because I don't want to "lead the answers" if I can help it. IOW, I want actual observations, not what anybody may think should have been happening or what they might think I want to hear.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-28-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

I was referring to holding the pedal at the same place and noticing the car slowing down at a slower speed than normal (increase brake distance for the same amount of pedal travel).

Maybe it's mental, but it seemed as if the I35 was "heavier" or that the weight of the car could be felt more when the ABS was off.

It also felt as if the pedal was less firm when the ABS was off. Hope it helps!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:31 AM

Interesting . . . .
Old 11-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

My ABS is weird, it will function normal at times. The feel is similar to my old '98 Maxima without ABS, very solid linear braking. At other times it's down right scary. The pedal gets a huge amount of travel to get the same amount of braking with some ABS noise along with it. There has been some times I've overshot stop signs/lights and ended up stopping further ahead of where I've wanted to. It's random and it happens in all types of weather conditions.

With my Maxima I pulled the ABS light from the dash cluster years ago. I did not have my front two ABS sensors for a while and the light was pissing me off. Earlier this year I replaced the missing front ABS sensors and cleaned the two rear ones. I also put all the ABS fuses back, but have yet to put the ABS bulb back in. So maybe Im having an intermitant ABS failure and don't know about it. On some road course days I like to pull the ABS fuse out and get more linear braking, so that's one reason I have not put the bulb back in. Over the winter I might put in a kill switch for both the ABS fuse and bulb when I don't want ABS.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
My ABS is weird, it will function normal at times. The feel is similar to my old '98 Maxima without ABS, very solid linear braking. At other times it's down right scary. The pedal gets a huge amount of travel to get the same amount of braking with some ABS noise along with it. There has been some times I've overshot stop signs/lights and ended up stopping further ahead of where I've wanted to. It's random and it happens in all types of weather conditions.
Did you noticed any shift in brake force distribution, ABS vs without it?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-02-2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Did you noticed any shift in brake force distribution, ABS vs without it?

Norm
When the ABS fuse is pulled the pedal is fine, distribution of brake force feels the same with or without the ABS active. When the problem occurs with the ABS the pedal goes soft and drops down a bit requiring more push on it to stop it.