Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

doh...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:14 PM
retired moderator

doh...

one of the guys from the subie forum made a wee bit mistake at a track day

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent=Cap001.flv
Old 10-31-2009, 08:34 PM

WOW
Old 10-31-2009, 11:10 PM

Ouchhh
Old 10-31-2009, 11:21 PM

... that sucks
Old 11-01-2009, 09:08 AM

wow that does suck...looks like a costly mistake
Old 11-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you can't afford crashing, don't go to track. It look to me like he maybe let off gas and back end slide around. Should have turned wheels to the right and maybe stay in the middle of the track.
Video is too short too see the result.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:39 PM
retired moderator

On the forums he said that his tires were so greasy that he just lost traction....
Old 11-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Turbo'd Saab

saw the result pics.

looks like it maybe totaled, cause the frame shifted.

Sucks, but you learn from your mistakes
Old 11-02-2009, 09:04 AM

looks like he just froze. he let off the gas and didnt try to correct.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 PM

After pics? or link? It was a good looking car too.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:27 PM

will this be covered by insurance since it happened on the track?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Fox Body FTW

Originally Posted by nsnrider
no.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:50 AM

That depends if they KNOW it happened at the track.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 PM
retired moderator

alot of tracks offer trackday insurance...costs a couple hundred bucks and covers you if you wreck the car on course (since your regular insurance sure as hell won't)....
Old 11-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by irish44j
alot of tracks offer trackday insurance...costs a couple hundred bucks and covers you if you wreck the car on course (since your regular insurance sure as hell won't)....
from what i've read, you can get a multiple day package for like 10 races and the price drops a ton per race
Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 PM

I like how people are all experts on how he should have corrected to avoid the crash...If u never have an off or close call, you'er not going fast enough. Just hope it doesn't cost you a lot of money when you do finally have one.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:47 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
I like how people are all experts on how he should have corrected to avoid the crash...If u never have an off or close call, you'er not going fast enough. Just hope it doesn't cost you a lot of money when you do finally have one.
That's only if you're driving a race car at a race event, not a DE event. You should NEVER be driving past your abilities at a DE day.

And no, there's really no way he could have corrected other than to mash both feet in and hope the ABS didn't freak out and release the brakes.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Lightly modded

Wow, that makes me a think a little harder about going to more track events at Summit Point. I can afford to pay for mistakes made at auto-x, but not going 110+ on a road course. Thankfully all I have to worry about is understeer That is until I can get my beam bent in the spring...

Josh, are you coming out next year? These Hyper Drive events are awesome....20 minutes on the main course at SP with an instructor for $50!! Can't beat it! I went to one a few weeks ago with Patrick (in the Subie) and Darius (in his 3.5 4th gen). Darius cooked his brakes (pedal to the floor), but they recovered after a few minutes. That's why Cobra rotors>Z32 rotors
Old 11-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Wow, that makes me a think a little harder about going to more track events at Summit Point. I can afford to pay for mistakes made at auto-x, but not going 110+ on a road course. Thankfully all I have to worry about is understeer That is until I can get my beam bent in the spring...

Josh, are you coming out next year? These Hyper Drive events are awesome....20 minutes on the main course at SP with an instructor for $50!! Can't beat it! I went to one a few weeks ago with Patrick (in the Subie) and Darius (in his 3.5 4th gen). Darius cooked his brakes (pedal to the floor), but they recovered after a few minutes. That's why Cobra rotors>Z32 rotors
One of these days I'd like to try out Summit Point with my car. Also If it's not to far for you guys NJMP is a good track. I will probally will go at least one weekend next year.

Oh and the understeer doesn't totally go away with a bent beam.

Brake fade can also be pad fade or the brake fluid boiling. I got pretty far using stock rotors with the right pads and fluid. Though I do like my '04 two piece rotor setup.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
One of these days I'd like to try out Summit Point with my car. Also If it's not to far for you guys NJMP is a good track. I will probally will go at least one weekend next year.

Oh and the understeer doesn't totally go away with a bent beam.

Brake fade can also be pad fade or the brake fluid boiling. I got pretty far using stock rotors with the right pads and fluid. Though I do like my '04 two piece rotor setup.
Depending on the drive I might be down to try out NJMP. Post something up when you figure out when you're going!

Are you using a RSB with the bent beam? Does anybody?

Darius has Z32 rotors/calipers with good blue fluid and Hawk HPS pads. I suppose it could have been the pads, but I also have HPS pads and while I glazed them/the rotors over, my pedal never went to the floor.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Conecarver

Looks like he just locked em up and didn't try much of anything. Granted, you only have a couple seconds to feel it coming around, countersteer, drive out, etc.

IMO - he was fortunate to only bend the frame and total the car. Could've been even worse. Glad he's ok.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Depending on the drive I might be down to try out NJMP. Post something up when you figure out when you're going!

Are you using a RSB with the bent beam? Does anybody?

Darius has Z32 rotors/calipers with good blue fluid and Hawk HPS pads. I suppose it could have been the pads, but I also have HPS pads and while I glazed them/the rotors over, my pedal never went to the floor.
Ok I will either be running with SCDA or the Cobra Mustang guys sometime at NJMP. The scheduling is still up in the air for now.

I've heard of one Sentra guy that ran a RSB, bent beam with some slight toe out, and really stiff rear springs. Basically alot of stuff to get oversteer on a FWD car. Did his first lap on a roadcourse with the new setup. However he didn't know how to handle oversteer and did something similar to that Subie.

ATE blue & yellow is good brake fluid. I'm not sold on the HPS pads for track use. They lasted one track day for me though I'm rough on brakes especially with the R-compounds.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Lightly modded

ATE blue & yellow is good brake fluid. I'm not sold on the HPS pads for track use. They lasted one track day for me though I'm rough on brakes especially with the R-compounds.
I've had HPS pads on for 3+ years, 20+ auto-x events and 1 track day and only now after the track day are they dead. I would like dedicated pads for track days, but I thought it was also necessary to have dedicated rotors that are matched/ bedded in with the race pads so you don't mess up your street rotors. Any truth to this?

Also, what are people doing for brake cooling ducts?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

6/21 MON New Jersey - Lightning
6/22 TUE New Jersey - Thunderbolt

9/13 MON New Jersey - Thunderbolt
9/14 TUE New Jersey – Lightning

NJMP schedule for SCDA, to bad the June event didn't overlap with Maxus it would of made for a fun optional road course event. Watkins Glen and Monticello track days are also up if that isn't to far for you. So far the only event I'm commited to is at Watkins Glen, I will be there on May 31st and June 1st with Phoenix CMR.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:17 AM
STFU n00b!

PEdal to the floor = boiled brake fluid. Flush the system with good fluid and that will go away.

Hawk HPS ARE NOT a track pad. They're fine for Auto X, since you never get the brakes hot on a 40 second course at 60mph. On a road course, your brakes get hotter in the first turn than on an entire auto X run.. Hawk HP+ are a minimum for a road course once you get past green group.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
PEdal to the floor = boiled brake fluid. Flush the system with good fluid and that will go away.

Hawk HPS ARE NOT a track pad. They're fine for Auto X, since you never get the brakes hot on a 40 second course at 60mph. On a road course, your brakes get hotter in the first turn than on an entire auto X run.. Hawk HP+ are a minimum for a road course once you get past green group.
I know he had very good (can't recall the brand) blue fluid. I don't think the fluid itself was the problem. From what my mechanic has told me a big part of why the fluid boils is because it basically stays in one place (doesn't circulate) once it's in the caliper and gets very hot, so cooling the caliper, as opposed to the rotor, can be quite beneficial. I think my Cobra rotors can dissipate heat well enough, so I think I'm gonna try to put together caliper cooling ducting for next season.

And yes, I'm aware HPS isn't good for track use, but I don't feel like swapping out rotors and pads before I go to the track. However, although I glazed over the pads (which went away after a day or two) and my pedal got a little soggy, I was actually quite impressed with how well the HPS pads took the abuse, considering they are 3+ years old and have been through 20+ auto-x events. I know most people just swap pads, but I've heard that isn't ideal because they aren't bedded in (?) with the street rotors, so having a dedicated set of track rotors that you use to break in the race pads is a better, longer-lasting bet. How true is this?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:42 PM
STFU n00b!

The flluid boiled because it was dirty/contaminated/watered down with age. it may not have been completely flushed properly on the last fluid change.
In 10 years of tracking a car, I've lost the brakes a couple times due to pad fade, but never have I boiled my fluid- even when using cheap stuff.

Lack of circulation may have exacerbated the problem, but your brakes should never get hot enough to boil the fluid with the driving that we're doing in Maximas- even boosted cars with R comps.

Swapping in track-only rotors is a nice idea, but many dual-use cars I know of (that's a pretty high number considering the 8-10 car clubs I generally track with) just take a change of pads with them. Install their pads at the track and then use the first few laps of the first session to bed them in.

That's all you really need. just be wary your first session or so until you feel them really start to bite (that's when you should be driving easy to relearn the track and lines anyway before starting to push things). After that you're good to go.

when the day is done, take the 5 minutes to change back to your street pads and go home.

All that said, it takes me about 1 additional minute to change rotors when I'm changing pads. Buy the cheapest $20 Autozone crap rotors you can find and wear them out at the track. throw 'em away after a few track days and buy another set. keep your good shiny Brembos for the street brakes. iron discs are iron discs- don't matter what brand they are.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Lightly modded

The flluid boiled because it was dirty/contaminated/watered down with age. it may not have been completely flushed properly on the last fluid change.
In 10 years of tracking a car, I've lost the brakes a couple times due to pad fade, but never have I boiled my fluid- even when using cheap stuff.

Lack of circulation may have exacerbated the problem, but your brakes should never get hot enough to boil the fluid with the driving that we're doing in Maximas- even boosted cars with R comps.

Swapping in track-only rotors is a nice idea, but many dual-use cars I know of (that's a pretty high number considering the 8-10 car clubs I generally track with) just take a change of pads with them. Install their pads at the track and then use the first few laps of the first session to bed them in.

That's all you really need. just be wary your first session or so until you feel them really start to bite (that's when you should be driving easy to relearn the track and lines anyway before starting to push things). After that you're good to go.

when the day is done, take the 5 minutes to change back to your street pads and go home.

All that said, it takes me about 1 additional minute to change rotors when I'm changing pads. Buy the cheapest $20 Autozone crap rotors you can find and wear them out at the track. throw 'em away after a few track days and buy another set. keep your good shiny Brembos for the street brakes. iron discs are iron discs- don't matter what brand they are.
Not trying to be a d1ck, but I know his brakes were flushed properly not that far before the track event

I know we're not driving Corvettes, but getting on the brakes repeatedly from 120 mph in a 20 minute session seems, in my uneducated opinion, to be enough to get the fluid pretty hot. However, I had my brakes flushed and filled with good, but not great, fluid the night before the event and my brakes worked relatively well. Who knows All I know is that both of our brakes were smoking when we got off the track!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:44 PM
retired moderator

yeah, I'll get out there next year. I have full suspension going in this winter with bilsteins and some up-rated springs, camber plates, ss brake lines, and probably some brake ducting. Probably take the first half of the summer to work into the new setup with some autocross, figure out my camber settings, etc and then hit the track. I just turned 20k miles on the car, so by the end of the summer my powertrain warranty will be up anyhow, so then I can just say "**** it" and go run, lol....

by biggest fear is that once I start open tracking again, that's all I'll want to do....and I can't afford that shiz or the tires/brakes I will destroy in the process....autocross is a "no worry" activity and it's cheap and easy on the car (I still have 3 years of payments on the car!).

That, or I'll pick up a track beater of some sort...I'd like to do a GRM challenge car, or a LeMons car. Those would force me to keep it cheap!

Last edited by irish44j; 12-04-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:30 PM
STFU n00b!

Not trying to be a d1ck, but I know his brakes were flushed properly not that far before the track event

I know we're not driving Corvettes, but getting on the brakes repeatedly from 120 mph in a 20 minute session seems, in my uneducated opinion, to be enough to get the fluid pretty hot. However, I had my brakes flushed and filled with good, but not great, fluid the night before the event and my brakes worked relatively well. Who knows All I know is that both of our brakes were smoking when we got off the track!
stopping from 120mph on Hawk HPs will definitely overheat things quickly. you're spending so much time on the brakes, you're transferring a LOT of heat to the pads and through to the pistons and calipers. Those kinds of speeds are definitely too much for the HPS to handle more than once or twice. I wasn't aware you were looking at those kinds of speeds, as there's only one track in the area (out of seven) that we see those kinds of speeds.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

stopping from 120mph on Hawk HPs will definitely overheat things quickly. you're spending so much time on the brakes, you're transferring a LOT of heat to the pads and through to the pistons and calipers. Those kinds of speeds are definitely too much for the HPS to handle more than once or twice. I wasn't aware you were looking at those kinds of speeds, as there's only one track in the area (out of seven) that we see those kinds of speeds.
Stopping from 100~110 MPH at NHMS was enough to eat a new set of Hawk HPS pads in one track day. 115~125 MPH stops at NJMP killed a set of HP+ in two track days and left nasty uneven pad deposits on the rotors. I had thought with the big two piece rotors that I could run a more streetable pad, this doesn't seem to be the case. Two track days at NJMP on the XP8 Carbotechs only consumed 15~20% of the pad with no uneven deposits. The XP8s allow for DEEP braking and scrub off the speed quickly. I noticed I did not spend as much time on the brakes which is probally why they wear out slower.

I would recomend anyone running higher than green group run a track pad.

So Matt I'm guessing TWS is the fastest track in your neck of the woods?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Conecarver

All that said, it takes me about 1 additional minute to change rotors when I'm changing pads.
I'm not that fast but agree. It takes 5 nuts to get the wheels off and only 4 bolts for both calipers & brackets. It's a great opportunity to do regular inspect of pistons, pads, and rotor backside no matter what type of driving you do.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:20 PM
STFU n00b!

So Matt I'm guessing TWS is the fastest track in your neck of the woods?
yup. 3 straights of 100mph, one at ~110, and one at ~130mph in the Maxima.
none of the others I get over 105mph more than once per lap.