Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Brake Cooling Ducts

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Lightly modded

Brake Cooling Ducts

Although not necessary for auto-x, I think I may need some brake cooling ducts if I want to continue to run road course events on street (Hawk HPS) pads next year.

I've looked around online for generic parts, and came across sites like this:
here that sell inlets and ducting. Not exactly cheap, but it may be worth it.

Then I came across this page: here

that has a neat picture:

Has anyone ever pulled this off on a Maxima before? Now that I took the traction bars off my car I have some more room to work with, so I don't think getting the inlets or ducting in will be a problem. However, it looks like a good deal of work to get the generic spindle ducts to work on our/any car. Also, are the spindle ducts really necessary?

So what do you think? Overkill? Good idea? Too much work? Does anyone know of roughly how much cooler brakes stay with cooling ducts?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:42 AM

where would you be routing the air from..
Old 12-01-2009, 04:06 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by mist max2000
where would you be routing the air from..
Go to autozone and get some of those chrome-rimmed fender vents, install them using w/e tools you have. On the inside attach some ducting from Lowes to the vent holes and run that to your brakes. You could probably use an electric fan to keep them cool even while at low speeds. All improving looks, and increasing your braking power.

Last edited by sparks03max; 12-01-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Go to autozone and get some of those chrome-rimmed fender vents, install them using w/e tools you have. On the inside attach some ducting from Lowes to the vent holes and run that to your brakes. You could probably use an electric fan to keep them cool even while at low speeds. All improving looks, and increasing your braking power.
^^^^

HAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHH and dont forget your nos drink while doing this.

Just run ducts to the front bumper.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

The caliper is in the front so that limits room for a proper brake rotor duct to match up. It is alot easier if the caliper is in the back.

I'm thinking take out the corner lights and use that for the air ducts. The corner markers have to come out for my car anyways when I run on a roadcourse.

Again I will say that HPS pads are not good for road course use and I switch out to track pads. Right now they are Carbotech XP8 pads.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:21 PM

can't be on the fenders - not good air pressure there. gotta be somewhere in the grille. Probably best to do it in the foglight area, that's supposed to have the highest air pressure on the 4th gen.

98SEBlackMax, why do your corner markers have to come out on a road course? Is that your personal preference, or a rule there? I've never heard of lighting having to be removed in order to race (not that I've ever been to a road course race, just oval tracks and drag strips)
Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by nalc
can't be on the fenders - not good air pressure there. gotta be somewhere in the grille. Probably best to do it in the foglight area, that's supposed to have the highest air pressure on the 4th gen.

98SEBlackMax, why do your corner markers have to come out on a road course? Is that your personal preference, or a rule there? I've never heard of lighting having to be removed in order to race (not that I've ever been to a road course race, just oval tracks and drag strips)
True the foglight area is the best place on alot of cars. Like I said the corner markers are open on my car at the track. I've had these since 2004 and they have been to many roadcourse events. Reason being is that the corner markers now pop out of the front bumper under hard braking with the R-comps and track pads. At NJMP they popped out and ripped the wiring. The corner lamps blew out going from 120 MPH to 70 MPH for turn one, dangled for a bit while I slowed down, and they ended up in the grass somewhere around turn four. They now make a nice trophy.

Bought a new set off of Ebay and got some wire harness from the junkyard and I take the markers out now to prevent the same problem.

Last edited by 98SEBlackMax; 12-05-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

I can only hope that my post was taken as a joke considering it was an obvious poke at most "custom" import tuner mods. Maybe I should also have suggested a ram air intake through the hood.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
I can only hope that my post was taken as a joke considering it was an obvious poke at most "custom" import tuner mods. Maybe I should also have suggested a ram air intake through the hood.
This is Maxima.org. Just when you think a comment is so stupid that it has to be sarcasm, you find out that it wasn't. It was a serious post by a serious idiot. Never underestimate stupid people.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:45 PM
STFU n00b!

What nalc said... I was >< that close to deleting it and smacking u down... then I got distracted by work and forgot....
Old 12-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Lightly modded

I was on gtrblog and saw these:

Old 12-05-2009, 07:19 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
I was on gtrblog and saw these:

these give you both the advantage of brake cooling, plus an extra 59 horsepower due to multiple custom carbon-fiber pieces and JDM red hoses.

true story.

also the irony of all those cooling ducts on a car that very clearly has never set foot on a track....the word "poseur" comes to mind.

Last edited by irish44j; 12-05-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:31 PM
retired moderator

nick, if you want cooling ducts, I would start simple before trying to integrate them into a caliper backing plate (which will be even tougher because of the space needed for the FWD CV axles as compared to a RWD car that doesn't have those).

Just route some hose from behind the lower grille and have it "dump" into the wheelwell at an angle that somewhat "aims" toward the back of the brake assembly. It won't be nearly as effective, but getting cooler air into the inner wheel well should at least to some extent lower temps in there (in theory).
Old 12-05-2009, 07:35 PM
retired moderator

here's a thread from NASIOC that addresses some interesting arrangements:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ht=brake+ducts
Old 12-06-2009, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
also the irony of all those cooling ducts on a car that very clearly has never set foot on a track....the word "poseur" comes to mind.
Judging from how clean the inner wheel wells are, it's never set foot on a road either... unless, of course, he always drives behind street sweepers
Old 12-06-2009, 09:21 AM
retired moderator

Judging from how clean the inner wheel wells are, it's never set foot on a road either... unless, of course, he always drives behind street sweepers
I hate people/companies that spend tons of money that can't even be enjoyed on the street for fear of dirt, damage, or miles. Cars like that are all about "look at me and how much money I have and how awesome I am."

I was reading an old Grassroots Motorsports mag with a review of the 2006 Z4 M roadster where they said that "people who own this car and don't take it to the track should be kicked in the head" (or somethig like that).

people who own a GTR and don't take it to the track should be beaten with a lead pipe, IMO.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Lightly modded

I hate people/companies that spend tons of money that can't even be enjoyed on the street for fear of dirt, damage, or miles. Cars like that are all about "look at me and how much money I have and how awesome I am."

I was reading an old Grassroots Motorsports mag with a review of the 2006 Z4 M roadster where they said that "people who own this car and don't take it to the track should be kicked in the head" (or somethig like that).

people who own a GTR and don't take it to the track should be beaten with a lead pipe, IMO.

It might not have been on a track yet, but it will be soon:
FIA GTR
Old 12-06-2009, 04:38 PM
retired moderator

^^ that would not be in the category of "people I hate" then, would it?

though the GT-R is still ugly, no matter how many decals you put on it.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:21 PM

i agree with your 'poser' theory.. but the gtr is far from ugly,..maybe in pics.. but when you see it in person.. its simply beautiful
Old 12-07-2009, 02:51 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by mist max2000
i agree with your 'poser' theory.. but the gtr is far from ugly,..maybe in pics.. but when you see it in person.. its simply beautiful
I see GT-Rs at least once a week around here, sometimes more often than that. Lots of people in this area with money, trying hard to impress other people by driving the most expensive Porsche, BMW, Benz, etc they can find. Hell, I work for DoD and someone in my building drives an Alpina B7!!

I swear E46 M3s, AMG Benzes, and 911s are more common than Camrys in this area.....
Old 12-07-2009, 07:58 PM

I see GT-Rs at least once a week around here, sometimes more often than that. Lots of people in this area with money, trying hard to impress other people by driving the most expensive Porsche, BMW, Benz, etc they can find. Hell, I work for DoD and someone in my building drives an Alpina B7!!

I swear E46 M3s, AMG Benzes, and 911s are more common than Camrys in this area.....
yeah i know what you mean,.. being in CT i see my fair share of people driving the high end cars..i've seen a veyron in greenwhich beforetalk about also..a resturant walking distance from me always has a lambo and a viper parked in front every weekend,.. BUT reguardless of seeing it all the time i still every time i go by...and on that note i still love my maxima,.. dont worry though im a big REX fan too, just cant afford one right now lol

back on topic..um..cooling ducts..racing..EBC pads..2 piece rotors.. 4 piston calipers.....blah blah blah
Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 PM
SLOW

Brake ducts would be nice, but like has been said it's hard to do them when the brake caliper is on the front of the steering knuckle.

Get better pads man. HPS are not even close to being enough pad for a maxima like yours at the track. HPS had me driving at like 4/10ths the one and only time I had them at the track, my first time ever, and that was when my car was stock as far as power was concerned and I had crappy *** tires Kumho 712s back in 2001. HP+ were pretty poor too, and they're worlds beyond HPS.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Conecarver

You've already cut away that inner rotor shield right? I found that tended to hold heat in pretty good. Maybe keep some of it around the outer edge to stop debris from causing havoc though. Pegasus is good but priced for serious spenders. Porterfield has ducts and ducting for about half the money.
http://porterfield-brakes.com/catego...cessories.html

Hoerr is also a great source for racer parts and good service, but not the cheapest either.
http://www.hrpworld.com

Last edited by BEJAY1; 03-19-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:56 PM

Waste of time. Get better pads and bigger rotors.