Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Aackshun's AutoX Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:32 PM

Aackshun's AutoX Thread

Hello guys, time to share more of my exploits with my car.

http://www.facebook.com/v/360495563936

Warning: I suck, and this is a video of one of my many DNF's.

I hope to update this thread with less autox failure in the future.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:26 AM

i spy with my little eye... a loose object!

we red flagged a guy whose passenger had a camera this weekend.

what class you running? g-stock? you a novice?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 AM

oo..rain....
Old 03-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by tyler5619
i spy with my little eye... a loose object!

we red flagged a guy whose passenger had a camera this weekend.

what class you running? g-stock? you a novice?
Tee hee, yah NGS, even though they f'd up and put me in regular GS. If you look closely at the end of the video you see one of the officials running towards me to tell us no "loose objects", we already knew that but we wanted a in car cam, so we'd figure they wouldn't kick us out after the first warning lol.

I forgot to ask my questions...

Wtf do you do with tires psi?

and

How do I keep the back end of my car under control? (not spin out so much)

I started with 40 psi in the front and back, then backed them both down for every run, I got down to 30 front and 35 back, and did not like it at all... I think 35/38 gave me the best feeling, I'm going to Gymkhana soon and I'll play around with it some more.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Tee hee, yah NGS, even though they f'd up and put me in regular GS. If you look closely at the end of the video you see one of the officials running towards me to tell us no "loose objects", we already knew that but we wanted a in car cam, so we'd figure they wouldn't kick us out after the first warning lol.

I forgot to ask my questions...

Wtf do you do with tires psi?

and

How do I keep the back end of my car under control? (not spin out so much)

I started with 40 psi in the front and back, then backed them both down for every run, I got down to 30 front and 35 back, and did not like it at all... I think 35/38 gave me the best feeling, I'm going to Gymkhana soon and I'll play around with it some more.
I ran NGS myself, then realized I was up against ALL novices. I got stomped by a 'Vette, a Lotus Elise, etc.

as for the tires, i invested in a Slime digital tire gauge (~2 bucks at the local Walmart...it reads out XX.X PSI) and set my tires to 44.0 PSI (the max PSI on my tires) and intended to adjust down from there after every run, but the car felt great. i left them at 44 all day.

p.s. i ran on Z32 N/A wheels wrapped in BFG Traction T/A 225/50R16
Old 03-11-2010, 03:04 PM

Michelin PS2's up front 235/45/17s and I don't know what's on the back lol but they're 235/45/17s all on G35 coupe rims. I can't wait to hit up the cones again.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Conecarver

Michelin PS2's up front 235/45/17s and I don't know what's on the back lol but they're 235/45/17s all on G35 coupe rims. I can't wait to hit up the cones again.
Try all sorts of pressures and chalk em to prevent rollover. Pressure depends alot on your suspension. I've run as high as 50's in the fronts and 60 in back (who cares what the tire says). My last season on Bridgestone 225/45's I liked 40/32 on a very stiff setup. Change em in 3lb increments until you find something you like.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:44 PM

^^ more about the chalk thing.

take a piece of chalk and draw a line from the sidewall to the footprint. you should have your tires inflated so that your chalk is rubbed off right to the edge where your tread meets your sidewall.

that's what the novice handbook says anyway.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Bump!

Vids from the last Gymkhana of the year I won today in the stock FWD class (Vs a lightly gutted crx) and I won for the year (not much of an accomplishment, I just kept showing up unlike the other fwd guys).

I only had the camera out for the fun runs, me and the ae86 were having a "grudge match", but you know how it goes, as soon as you get the camera out you do your worst -_-

That was like a 34.3x, my best of the day was 31.83

here's a dnf for lolz

Course map 4 lol'z

Last edited by aackshun; 12-12-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:03 AM
STFU n00b!

1. stop trying to drive so fast and you'll actually go faster.
2. If I ever see a D-bag driving around with a camera at another event, they're going home- no warnings. you're told at the driver's meeting.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
2. If I ever see a D-bag driving around with a camera at another event, they're going home- no warnings. you're told at the driver's meeting.
1. Hard to agree with you on this one here, I know they point you're trying to get across (Drive smooooooth), but this car rapes on the straight aways. I ended up dropping near 3 seconds when I opened up the throttle.

2. This isn't your average autox event, they're pretty loose on rules like that in the fun runs, but yes, at most auto-x's you will be kicked out for having a camera out in your hand.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 PM
STFU n00b!

The point is you're overdriving into the turns because you're trying to drive too fast. try braking earlier on corner entry and rolling into the gas a bit easier on corner exit. see how that does for ya.
If you drive into the corner too hard, you're going to understeer the entire way through because the front tires are already overworked. slow down a tad going into the corner and the car can hang onto the turn a bit more because the tires have some grip left- instead of trying to stop the car AND turn..
Old 12-14-2010, 09:44 PM

The point is you're overdriving into the turns because you're trying to drive too fast. try braking earlier on corner entry and rolling into the gas a bit easier on corner exit. see how that does for ya.
If you drive into the corner too hard, you're going to understeer the entire way through because the front tires are already overworked. slow down a tad going into the corner and the car can hang onto the turn a bit more because the tires have some grip left- instead of trying to stop the car AND turn..
I feel ya! I wish I had my best run recorded, I think I did a better job of this on my best then what I have to show you here, I have recently purchased the gorilla camera mount thingy and I will be recording my tracking a lot more now! I hope to get some more advice from you soon!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With a loose camera right? Something like a GoPro attached to the glass or on a harness bar is totally fine. Would be pissed if they didn't allow that.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:48 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by speedymax99
With a loose camera right? Something like a GoPro attached to the glass or on a harness bar is totally fine. Would be pissed if they didn't allow that.
Of course. Fixed mount cameras are fine. even the suction cop thingies on the windshield are better than some big blob in the passenger seat weighing me down and trying to get a good video while I need to see through the windshield right where he stuck the camera!!

I feel ya! I wish I had my best run recorded, I think I did a better job of this on my best then what I have to show you here, I have recently purchased the gorilla camera mount thingy and I will be recording my tracking a lot more now! I hope to get some more advice from you soon!
I've only been doing auto X, track day DEs, and road racing for about 10 years now. I've probably forgotten a thing or two about FWD dynamics, but the biggest issue I remember was overdriving the car into the corners and hating life until I slowed the car down enough to make it turn.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:22 PM

I've only been doing auto X, track day DEs, and road racing for about 10 years now. I've probably forgotten a thing or two about FWD dynamics, but the biggest issue I remember was overdriving the car into the corners and hating life until I slowed the car down enough to make it turn.
This! I did not have a problem with this on my best run!! The car turned like a dream and did not understeer one bit, it surprised me going into that mini-chicane how I was able to get in and out so quickly w/o tapping the brakes to give me some more grip, I just wish I had that recorded so you could critique that run!

But I can't wait till next season, I'll hopefully have a working front sway bar , the car is eating up bushings like lunch meat right now, I ordered some poly urethane bushings, let's see how they hold up next season of Gymkhana, this and some tires should make me competitive in the higher bracket (modified fwd).
Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 PM

Gymkhana @ MSR this thursday! Looks like my tires first use are for Gymkhana and not the 1/4 mile!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:40 AM

Going to MSR Houston today (Roadcourse)

Any good first timer tips?