Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

VMSC Autocross at Virginia Motorsport Park

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 02:17 PM

VMSC Autocross at Virginia Motorsport Park

Another autocross under my belt this weekend. At the end of the day I was 50th out of 72 in raw times. Not bad for still running on street tires and no camber adjustment. Next one June 20th, hopping to have some tires by then.
Standing on an asphalt frying pan all day with friends, no better way to spend a day.

Here's my last and fastest run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORquz6TKtPA
Old 05-31-2010, 02:39 PM
retired moderator

looks like a good course.....I would say work on slowing down earlier into the longer corners - it really looks like you're pushing really wide on almost all of them. "Slow is fast" especially with a maxima

Clean slalom though, looked good!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:39 PM

I agree with you on going in too hot and pushing. I start each run with a " slower is faster " mantra, but once you get going that's easier said than done. I think I'm pretty strong on the slaloms, the car feels balanced and precise through them. I love driving my Maxima at these events. After the first few runs most people are surprised how well the grocery getter performs.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:47 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by rvamaxima
I agree with you on going in too hot and pushing. I start each run with a " slower is faster " mantra, but once you get going that's easier said than done. I think I'm pretty strong on the slaloms, the car feels balanced and precise through them. I love driving my Maxima at these events. After the first few runs most people are surprised how well the grocery getter performs.
lol...know that feeling. Did probably 30 events in mine...

I'm just the opposite of you though. I start fast, trying to power around the course for the first 2-3 runs (AWD helps with that, lol). My last run I always try to do it "smooth and tight" and it's always my fastest.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Fox Body FTW

Great job! Looks like a fun course!

I miss autocrossing my maxima - Best of luck to you for the next event! Keep at it dude
Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 PM

Wow, nice pic AM. I've had trouble with going in to corners too hot and coming out skidding or major understeering. Still haven't perfected the maxima turns. Any other tips?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM
STFU n00b!

SLOW DOWN!
that's what I had to keep yelling at myself when I was autocrossing the Maxima. then the next turn my brain starts "I can stay int he gas just a little longer and take this one wide and I'll be fast!" Then SCREEEEEEEECH! understeer. fawk. slow down and you'll go faster.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
SLOW DOWN!
that's what I had to keep yelling at myself when I was autocrossing the Maxima. then the next turn my brain starts "I can stay int he gas just a little longer and take this one wide and I'll be fast!" Then SCREEEEEEEECH! understeer. fawk. slow down and you'll go faster.
Next event is June 20th, I'll post new videos afterwwards. Hopefully they be smoother runs.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Conecarver

Agreed looks good! Love the first right hander where the rear starts coming out, I assume you were on the power there to keep it in check. Not only does the slower corners reduce the plowing but also smaller radius = shorter distance. Slow down and adjust the apex to get back on the power a tad sooner coming out.

Oh, and why are you classed in STU insteads of ST or STX? Is that unique to VMSC?
Old 06-06-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Agreed looks good! Love the first right hander where the rear starts coming out, I assume you were on the power there to keep it in check. Not only does the slower corners reduce the plowing but also smaller radius = shorter distance. Slow down and adjust the apex to get back on the power a tad sooner coming out.

Oh, and why are you classed in STU insteads of ST or STX? Is that unique to VMSC?
That was my mistake, I should be in STX
Old 06-06-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1

I just realised I didn't mention my class in this thread. Someone did a little Googling, no privacy on the web. lol
Old 06-06-2010, 01:17 PM

Here's a quick clip of one of my not so finer moments. My passenger was yelling all through that slide, which made me laugh the rest of the course.

http://www.vimeo.com/12337913