Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

95maxrider's 2011 Auto-x results

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Lightly modded

2012 updates!

After many back and forth conversations with the SCCA classing guru, it sounds like I'm going to stay in the EP class for this year. Apparently even stage 1 SFCs are illegal in DSP, and since chassis foam is illegal in every class, I have chosen to retain my ride quality and keep the SFCs at the expense of running in a much more competitive class.

I will however be getting rid of my stage 2 LTB as it doesn't clear my soon to be installed Cattman headers If I can find a used stage 1 LTB I would like to buy it, but if not, my custom made fender braces should help stiffen up the front of the chassis enough.

The 245/40/17 Hoosier A6s arrived from Tire Rack the other day, and I'm waiting for my Recaro Speed seat to arrive in a few weeks. Does anyone know what sort of tire pressures I should run with the Hoosiers compared to street tires?

I also ended up getting the 2-piece 12.9" Wilwood setup with Superlite 1.62" calipers. After more discussion, it sounded like the 12.2" 2-piece rotors and Dynalite calipers just wouldn't be enough for this car. They should be arriving within the next week or so. I'm very excited to shed all of that unsprung and rotational weight! They come with Hawk DTC-05 pads which apparently have more bite than the HPS but less than the HP+.

Other good news includes me finally finding the source of my engine hesitation/vibration: a clogged EGR tube! While I was in there I changed my knock sensor and installed the NWP IM spacer kit. Oh, and a Mishimoto aluminum radiator and Toyota red coolant. Sadly, the radiator cap didn't fit under the I30 hood so we had to cut out a little bit of the under-hood metal, but it all worked out in the end.

I secured a grassroots sponsorship from Enkei, so I will be buying a set of 17x8.5" RPF1s for this year to go with the Hoosiers, but I can't decide if I should get the +30 or +40 offset. With the +30 I'm worried about front fender clearance issues, and with the +40 I'm worried about coilover clearance issues. The Hoosiers run incredibly wide, so either seems possible. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the +40 and just get a spacer if needed as there isn't much I can do if the +30 has fender clearance issues. Can anyone convince me why I shouldn't get the +40?

The last issue is the spring rate of the BC coilovers. They come with 8k/6k, but I can get different rates and revalved shocks at no cost, so I'm considering going with 8k/7k to help the rear end rotate. However, I've also been considering a 9k/8k setup, but I'm not sure if that is going to be too stiff for daily driving. I will have SFCs and fender braces, which should improve ride quality, but I'm not sure if I will really benefit from stepping up to the 9k/8k over 8k/7k.

So yeah, that's the plan for this year. in addition to all the local events, I plan on attending at least two SCCA national events; one in NJ and one in Georgia. Maybe more depending on how well I do. It should be a good year!

Last edited by 95maxrider; 01-04-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
2012 updates!

After many back and forth conversations with the SCCA classing guru, it sounds like I'm going to stay in the EP class for this year. Apparently even stage 1 SFCs are illegal in DSP, and since chassis foam is illegal in every class, I have chosen to retain my ride quality and keep the SFCs at the expense of running in a much more competitive class.

I will however be getting rid of my stage 2 LTB as it doesn't clear my soon to be installed Cattman headers If I can find a used stage 1 LTB I would like to buy it, but if not, my custom made fender braces should help stiffen up the front of the chassis enough.

The 245/40/17 Hoosier A6s arrived from Tire Rack the other day, and I'm waiting for my Recaro Speed seat to arrive in a few weeks. Does anyone know what sort of tire pressures I should run with the Hoosiers compared to street tires?

I also ended up getting the 2-piece 12.9" Wilwood setup with Superlite 1.62" calipers. After more discussion, it sounded like the 12.2" 2-piece rotors and Dynalite calipers just wouldn't be enough for this car. They should be arriving within the next week or so. I'm very excited to shed all of that unsprung and rotational weight! They come with Hawk DTC-05 pads which apparently have more bite than the HPS but less than the HP+.

Other good news includes me finally finding the source of my engine hesitation/vibration: a clogged EGR tube! While I was in there I changed my knock sensor and installed the NWP IM spacer kit. Oh, and a Mishimoto aluminum radiator and Toyota red coolant. Sadly, the radiator cap didn't fit under the I30 hood so we had to cut out a little bit of the under-hood metal, but it all worked out in the end.

I secured a grassroots sponsorship from Enkei, so I will be buying a set of 17x8.5" RPF1s for this year to go with the Hoosiers, but I can't decide if I should get the +30 or +40 offset. With the +30 I'm worried about front fender clearance issues, and with the +40 I'm worried about coilover clearance issues. The Hoosiers run incredibly wide, so either seems possible. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the +40 and just get a spacer if needed as there isn't much I can do if the +30 has fender clearance issues. Can anyone convince me why I shouldn't get the +40?

The last issue is the spring rate of the BC coilovers. They come with 8k/6k, but I can get different rates and revalved shocks at no cost, so I'm considering going with 8k/7k to help the rear end rotate. However, I've also been considering a 9k/8k setup, but I'm not sure if that is going to be too stiff for daily driving. I will have SFCs and fender braces, which should improve ride quality, but I'm not sure if I will really benefit from stepping up to the 9k/8k over 8k/7k.

So yeah, that's the plan for this year. in addition to all the local events, I plan on attending at least two SCCA national events; one in NJ and one in Georgia. Maybe more depending on how well I do. It should be a good year!
Hoosier A6's.... One day... One day.....

Those brakes are srz bidness yo, jealous! I'm stepping up to aftermarket brakes finally on my 5.5 set up, wish I could go bigger

If you'z serious around them cones, step up to 9k/8k.

If I wasn't so **** about retaining 100% stock comfort levels I would have gone up a bit on the spring rates.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:28 PM
retired moderator

NIck....stage 2 LTB + hacksaw = stage 1 LTB. That's what I did to stay out of EP....until I got my SFCs.

Sucks that the SFCs would be DSP legal if they only had 3 attachment points per side, instead of 4....

BTW, go with 30 offset. 40 with that width and 245 Hoosiers will almost certainly be all over your suspension. You may have to roll the fenders though, depending on how low you end up.

Shame I'm not going to be running much BMWCCA next season for you, now in my class, to whoop my ***
Old 01-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by irish44j
NIck....stage 2 LTB + hacksaw = stage 1 LTB. That's what I did to stay out of EP....until I got my SFCs.

Sucks that the SFCs would be DSP legal if they only had 3 attachment points per side, instead of 4....

BTW, go with 30 offset. 40 with that width and 245 Hoosiers will almost certainly be all over your suspension. You may have to roll the fenders though, depending on how low you end up.

Shame I'm not going to be running much BMWCCA next season for you, now in my class, to whoop my ***
Yeah, I'm aware I could hack up my LTB to make it a stage 1, but I was hoping I could find one used and just sell mine since I didn't want to ruin such a rare piece, but since I haven't been able to find one I might just have to do that

From what I understand, SFCs are illegal for our car in DSP because it's not connecting actual front/rear subframes to the rest of the car and just runs the length of the center section.

Keep in mind I will have coilovers, so I will have about an extra 3/4" to play with before they hit the springs compared to stock-style springs. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the +40 just because I can always get spacers if I need to, but if the +30 hit the front fenders, or when the suspension compresses the fenders "eat" the top of the tires, there will be nothing I can do about that. Maybe all I will need will be a 5mm spacer I plan on raising the car up about 0.5" (so it will be 1" lower than stock) when I install the coilovers, so I'm hoping that will help with tire clearance. Thankfully the rear fenders are already rolled.

And don't worry, I will only bring out the Hoosiers to SCCA events unless they aren't completely worn out by the end of the season, so I will still be in X3. However, after about 2 races my current Michelin PS2s are going to be worn out, and I'm going to step up to the new Michelin SS You better come out to some events this year!!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 PM
retired moderator

Yeah, I'm aware I could hack up my LTB to make it a stage 1, but I was hoping I could find one used and just sell mine since I didn't want to ruin such a rare piece, but since I haven't been able to find one I might just have to do that

From what I understand, SFCs are illegal for our car in DSP because it's not connecting actual front/rear subframes to the rest of the car and just runs the length of the center section.

Keep in mind I will have coilovers, so I will have about an extra 3/4" to play with before they hit the springs compared to stock-style springs. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the +40 just because I can always get spacers if I need to, but if the +30 hit the front fenders, or when the suspension compresses the fenders "eat" the top of the tires, there will be nothing I can do about that. Maybe all I will need will be a 5mm spacer I plan on raising the car up about 0.5" (so it will be 1" lower than stock) when I install the coilovers, so I'm hoping that will help with tire clearance. Thankfully the rear fenders are already rolled.

And don't worry, I will only bring out the Hoosiers to SCCA events unless they aren't completely worn out by the end of the season, so I will still be in X3. However, after about 2 races my current Michelin PS2s are going to be worn out, and I'm going to step up to the new Michelin SS You better come out to some events this year!!
well, the e30 rallycross car will have Star Specs on the 15" euroweaves for street driving, so maybe I'll just bring it out instead

I may do a couple events, but it will depend on venue. Definitely not wasting a Saturday at the Manassas Raceway lot again, or at Bowie. I'll come to Waldorf events probably. Alot will depend on how the rallycrossing is going, and what the schedule looks like. I suspect once the season starts I'm going to lose interest in autocross somewhat (which was already starting to happen). And now that I have a beater car, I might do some trackdays with the e30 as well.

Especially since the WRX is now out of powertrain warranty!

-0-

wrt the SFCs - When I was doing SCCA in the maxima, I always read the rules as making the SFCs illegal for DSP because of the 4 attachment points. I didn't notice anything int he rules about SFC location, providing they didn't attach points laterally (e.g. a crossbrace). I thought any 3-point longitudinal brace was ok.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

+40 on the wheels. Good luck with the season!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 PM
retired moderator

nick, just got word from RaceComp that they FINALLY have the front camber plates ready for me to do a test season on (and will give me a set at cost)....18 months after originally scheduled, lol.

Anyhow, once I get some camber on, I may run some additional events. Not sure if I'll run BMWCCA this year though - I don't really want to pay to renew my membership, and this year only members are allowed at events (lame...), so I'll probably just run SCCA or Autocrossers, Inc. events, mabye do a couple FedEx events
Old 02-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Lightly modded

nick, just got word from RaceComp that they FINALLY have the front camber plates ready for me to do a test season on (and will give me a set at cost)....18 months after originally scheduled, lol.

Anyhow, once I get some camber on, I may run some additional events. Not sure if I'll run BMWCCA this year though - I don't really want to pay to renew my membership, and this year only members are allowed at events (lame...), so I'll probably just run SCCA or Autocrossers, Inc. events, mabye do a couple FedEx events

I'll finally have camber plates on, but they won't be with my Eibachs and Konis

Well I plan on going to every BMW and SCCA event there is, so hopefully we can go head to head a few times. I plan on running the Hoosiers at SCCA and my street summer tires at BMW and others. Do you think you would do the Waldorf or Bowie events for BMW?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:46 PM
retired moderator

I'll finally have camber plates on, but they won't be with my Eibachs and Konis

Well I plan on going to every BMW and SCCA event there is, so hopefully we can go head to head a few times. I plan on running the Hoosiers at SCCA and my street summer tires at BMW and others. Do you think you would do the Waldorf or Bowie events for BMW?
If I do BMW, it would be at waldorf (or would depend on the dates). I really don't like Bowie all that much, I'm out of boost half the time.

That said, to do BMW events I have to renew my BMWCCA membership, which I'm not really sure is worth it for 1 or 2 events. I have better things to do with 50 bucks, and really hate "The Roundel" magazine anyhow, lol. I already have an SCCA membership, so may just run at SCCA sanctioned events only (most likely, Autocrossers, Inc. events at Waldorf since I know some AI people). Are you goign to run AI, or just WDCR SCCA?

The focus this year is on rallycross though. Autocross will only happen if I have spare time or if I destroy the rallycross car, lol.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:00 AM
Lightly modded

If I do BMW, it would be at waldorf (or would depend on the dates). I really don't like Bowie all that much, I'm out of boost half the time.

That said, to do BMW events I have to renew my BMWCCA membership, which I'm not really sure is worth it for 1 or 2 events. I have better things to do with 50 bucks, and really hate "The Roundel" magazine anyhow, lol. I already have an SCCA membership, so may just run at SCCA sanctioned events only (most likely, Autocrossers, Inc. events at Waldorf since I know some AI people). Are you goign to run AI, or just WDCR SCCA?

The focus this year is on rallycross though. Autocross will only happen if I have spare time or if I destroy the rallycross car, lol.
I might go to some AI or CDC events, but they aren't a priority.

So, any chance you're looking for a co-driver for rally-x?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:53 PM
retired moderator

I might go to some AI or CDC events, but they aren't a priority.

So, any chance you're looking for a co-driver for rally-x?
AI events are SCCA, IIRC.....I won't be at any CDC events...those lots are too small and I'm out of boost the whole time, lol.

At some point, perhaps. That said, rally-x can get as many as 10+ runs per day, beating the crap out of the car....so if it gets killed I'd rather be the one to kill it, lol.

Since I started my build, two other local guys have bought e30s to rallycross as well (just in stock class). You should pick up a beater....any kind of beater....civic, e30, whatever.....and rallycross!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Lightly modded

AI events are SCCA, IIRC.....I won't be at any CDC events...those lots are too small and I'm out of boost the whole time, lol.

At some point, perhaps. That said, rally-x can get as many as 10+ runs per day, beating the crap out of the car....so if it gets killed I'd rather be the one to kill it, lol.

Since I started my build, two other local guys have bought e30s to rallycross as well (just in stock class). You should pick up a beater....any kind of beater....civic, e30, whatever.....and rallycross!
Yeah, I didn't realize AI was part of SCCA. What's the point of running two separate clubs? I checked their scheduled and didn't see anything listed for 2011 or 2012, so maybe they're done doing it?

Well if it makes your decision any easier, I've learned how to nurse a wounded car/go easy on weak links (cough cough, A32 transmissions), so I think I could play nice with your E30 How about if I pay your entry fee

I have about 3-4 weeks to get EVERYTHING done to my car for race season, and once it's all taken care of I can start thinking about another play toy, so if you see any E30s or Miatas come up for sale, let me know! No FWD/AWD please....

Oh, and what are the chances I could convince you to help me install oil and PS coolers on my car?
Old 02-11-2012, 03:35 PM
retired moderator

Yeah, I didn't realize AI was part of SCCA. What's the point of running two separate clubs? I checked their scheduled and didn't see anything listed for 2011 or 2012, so maybe they're done doing it?

Well if it makes your decision any easier, I've learned how to nurse a wounded car/go easy on weak links (cough cough, A32 transmissions), so I think I could play nice with your E30 How about if I pay your entry fee

I have about 3-4 weeks to get EVERYTHING done to my car for race season, and once it's all taken care of I can start thinking about another play toy, so if you see any E30s or Miatas come up for sale, let me know! No FWD/AWD please....

Oh, and what are the chances I could convince you to help me install oil and PS coolers on my car?
you could probably convince me, but not until it warms up. I hate working on cars in the cold, and I've had to do it all winter

Dude, I see cheap e30s and miatas all the time up for sale. Actually there's a guy doing a Miata rallycross build over on dirtyimpreza forums and GRM forums.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:55 PM
retired moderator

Nick, I talked to Karen Kraus (who runs AI), so she just posted up the dates on the WDCR page as well as the AI facebook page.

‎2012 Schedule looks to be : 3/25, 6/16, 7/15, 8/11, 9/16, and 10/14 for the six championship events. There is also an Evolution Performance Driving School scheduled for 4/7. All events at Blue Crab Stadium in Waldorf, MD.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Conecarver

There is also an Evolution Performance Driving School scheduled for 4/7. All events at Blue Crab Stadium in Waldorf, MD.
FYI, bring decent street tires with tread to Evo schools if you can. I did the phase 1 back in '00 and got 27 timed runs plus the instructor's 10 laps with full passenger loads (they liked a 4-door sedan for instructional laps). Don't even think of bringing half-worn Hoosiers to a school - ended my day early last year.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:57 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
FYI, bring decent street tires with tread to Evo schools if you can. I did the phase 1 back in '00 and got 27 timed runs plus the instructor's 10 laps with full passenger loads (they liked a 4-door sedan for instructional laps). Don't even think of bringing half-worn Hoosiers to a school - ended my day early last year.
lol....I probably won't go to it, but if I do I'll bring the e30. It has brand-new star specs on it, and the backseat is removed so I won't have that problem
Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM
retired moderator

I'll bring this to autocross, Nick

Name:  DSCN3392.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  111.6 KB
Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Lightly modded

I'll bring this to autocross, Nick

Sure cleaned up nice!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:23 PM
retired moderator

when you see it in person, you will run away screaming from all the scratches, chips, and dings in the (resprayed long-ago) paint. I don't even care about that stuff, and I'm still like "damn this paint sucks" lol.....

I don't think even your magic detailing touch could make it look good from inside 5 ft.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Lightly modded

Well we can wrap this thread up now I think. Let's move on to 2012 and a new build thread!