Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

warpspeed

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 12:21 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally posted by pjalst

Is the TIG or the MIG Y really worth the wait? Are there any drawbacks to ordering the Aluminum Y? Doesn't seem like it's worth waiting 3 months for the ss.
I orderd the mandrel bent aluminum y-pipe. I have been waiting over 3 weeks. So I would not expect the aluminum to get to you any quicker.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:29 PM
Handsome

Is the TIG or the MIG Y really worth the wait? Are there any drawbacks to ordering the Aluminum Y? Doesn't seem like it's worth waiting 3 months for the ss.
My aluminum came in about 4 weeks. I was really impressed at how light it was, and it was straighter than the stillen (which caused it to rub a little on the stock bracket, but that was easy to fix and I preffer it being straight for better flow) I doubt my car will out last the aluminum pipe, which is the big selling point for the SS. The aluminum is lighter making it easier to install, and it is less weight on your car. But it is all business, no flashy chrome, so if you want to show off the bottom of your car, then get the SS.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:23 PM
pjalst

Originally posted by Street Reeper

My aluminum came in about 4 weeks. I was really impressed at how light it was, and it was straighter than the stillen (which caused it to rub a little on the stock bracket, but that was easy to fix and I preffer it being straight for better flow) I doubt my car will out last the aluminum pipe, which is the big selling point for the SS. The aluminum is lighter making it easier to install, and it is less weight on your car. But it is all business, no flashy chrome, so if you want to show off the bottom of your car, then get the SS.
Well I rarely jack up my car to show people the dirty underside

Old 10-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Handsome

Well I rarely jack up my car to show people the dirty underside
Exactly my point, get the cheaper and lighter aluminum Y.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:37 PM

I just installed the 'Y' pipe, and it fit just fine. The car has stock intake ducting and a stock cat-back.

The car isn't really any louder than it was before, but it does seem to pull a little harder at the top of the rev range. There are also no 'strange' noises. (bees in a can)

The two nuts holding the Y-pipe to the converter were the largest obstacles. They did NOT want to come off. One nut rounded off, but luckily it was the lower one, and was easily reached with a set of Vice-Grips that did the job. I thought the other nut would round off or the stud would break, but it came off eventually. (I need a set of torches) Everything else went pretty easily. The manifold bolts and oxygen sensors came off easily.

I'll get the front section of the B-pipe fixed and get it on... and tend to the intake ducting shortly.

Good Luck!
Old 10-22-2002, 03:27 PM
What's next!?..

Hey guys..

Wow..didn't think when I started this thread that it would still be goin strong almost 4 weeks later.

Just as a note. I did talk to Dallas about a week and a half after my initial order and actually got my order 2 days later. 2 weeks total.

But I did order the Aluminum-Y pipe, so I guess thats why it came fairly quick.

I can honestly say after installing everything last Friday and then taking a nice 300mile weekend trip, it was well worth the wait.

It sounds exactly like stock at idle, but when you get on the road and give it some gas, it makes the nicest low rumbling sound til you get over 2k rpm. At higher rpms, it sounds just like stock. I can't tell the difference.

I'm happy. Be patient and Good luck.

PS: I was gonna kill this thread but I guess I'll let it live a bit longer.

JP
Old 10-22-2002, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Street Reeper

Exactly my point, get the cheaper and lighter aluminum Y.
well i'm not exactly sure, but if you run forced induction or n2o, maybe the aluminum won't hold up as well under those conditions......
Old 10-22-2002, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by JPMax
Hey guys..

Wow..didn't think when I started this thread that it would still be goin strong almost 4 weeks later.

Just as a note. I did talk to Dallas about a week and a half after my initial order and actually got my order 2 days later. 2 weeks total.

But I did order the Aluminum-Y pipe, so I guess thats why it came fairly quick.

I can honestly say after installing everything last Friday and then taking a nice 300mile weekend trip, it was well worth the wait.

It sounds exactly like stock at idle, but when you get on the road and give it some gas, it makes the nicest low rumbling sound til you get over 2k rpm. At higher rpms, it sounds just like stock. I can't tell the difference.

I'm happy. Be patient and Good luck.

PS: I was gonna kill this thread but I guess I'll let it live a bit longer.

JP
that kind of p$#ses me off, because i've been waiting nearly 3 months for my ss tig welded pipe and you get an aluminum one in 2 weeks, i think it should be first come first serve............another reason why their customer service has been in question, although i'm happy for you it came shortly after, too bad the others who are quiet and don't complain are prolly waiting till hell freezes over for their's
Old 10-22-2002, 06:12 PM

The pipes are made from aluminized steel, not aluminum. They will hold up just fine. Rust isn't really an issue, either. Aluminized steel pipe is very rust resistant... Plus, exhaust pipe rusts from the inside out. The Y-pipe stays really hot, so condensation is never really a problem. (water is a product of combustion) It's usually items such as mufflers and tailpipes that collect condensation and rot out over time. My 86' Pontiac Parisienne still has it's original Y-pipe, and it's still plenty solid... even though it's had a few mufflers replaced over the years.

MIG welds are plenty strong for exhaust pipe, TIG is just prettier. Stainless will stay pretty over time, where aluminized might get a little surface rust... while staying plenty solid.

Good Luck!
Old 10-22-2002, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by n2oMike
The pipes are made from aluminized steel, not aluminum. They will hold up just fine. Rust isn't really an issue, either. Aluminized steel pipe is very rust resistant... Plus, exhaust pipe rusts from the inside out. The Y-pipe stays really hot, so condensation is never really a problem. (water is a product of combustion) It's usually items such as mufflers and tailpipes that collect condensation and rot out over time. My 86' Pontiac Parisienne still has it's original Y-pipe, and it's still plenty solid... even though it's had a few mufflers replaced over the years.

MIG welds are plenty strong for exhaust pipe, TIG is just prettier. Stainless will stay pretty over time, where aluminized might get a little surface rust... while staying plenty solid.

Good Luck!
so, are you saying that it might just be better for me to cancel my ss order, and make it an aluminized steel pipes? I am worried if i were to do that, that I would wait another 2 or so weeks for that pipe (mixed emotions here!) Thanks
Old 10-24-2002, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by maximamoose

so, are you saying that it might just be better for me to cancel my ss order, and make it an aluminized steel pipes? I am worried if i were to do that, that I would wait another 2 or so weeks for that pipe (mixed emotions here!) Thanks
has anyone heard anything from warpspeed recently? i am still waiting on replies!
Old 10-24-2002, 08:16 PM
Dysfunctional

yea,
i called them a day or two ago and i got the lady there (who is very nice by the way) and she said they should be almost caught up by the end of this week and the begining of next week so its closing in

Old 10-25-2002, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by Dysfunctional
yea,
i called them a day or two ago and i got the lady there (who is very nice by the way) and she said they should be almost caught up by the end of this week and the begining of next week so its closing in
you are right. she is pretty nice over the phone, but they keep giving me that same run-around when I call. Maybe this time, it will actually be true!?!?!? Who knows? If you do know, send me a pm, or post it here!
Old 10-26-2002, 04:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

one week turn-around ( I'm told )

Ordered my aluminized, mandrel bent, 3rd gen y-pipe last monday. Talked to the "nice lady" on Thurs. She said it was shipping out that afternoon. Should have it on Mon. or Tues. This may be setting a record for time if it's true. Just wanted to throw some hope out there. I'm looking forward to this!
Old 10-26-2002, 07:54 PM

Re: one week turn-around ( I'm told )

Originally posted by rzirker
Ordered my aluminized, mandrel bent, 3rd gen y-pipe last monday. Talked to the "nice lady" on Thurs. She said it was shipping out that afternoon. Should have it on Mon. or Tues. This may be setting a record for time if it's true. Just wanted to throw some hope out there. I'm looking forward to this!
she told me mine should be out this past friday or monday............but i've heard that before, and before, and before, but you said you ordered an aluminized so it prolly is true, where i ordered the ss, but i have been waiting alittle longer......
Old 10-26-2002, 10:27 PM

I talked to lynn on friday. She said my order was just waiting on my b-pipe fix. This implies my aluminum Y is ready to go. She hoped to ship late friday or Monday. Only time will tell.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
I talked to lynn on friday. She said my order was just waiting on my b-pipe fix. This implies my aluminum Y is ready to go. She hoped to ship late friday or Monday. Only time will tell.
time is a b!tch. I mean, how long have you waited? I have been waiting almost 7 weeks now for my y-pipe and b-pipe. Other people get their aluminum in 1-1/2 weeks! NO offense to anyone here, but i think they should fill orders according to who orders first. If they don't have enough, slow production on the aluminum, and get the ss made. Just venting a little more
Old 10-27-2002, 05:24 AM

agreed, i think i posted something similar a few days ago
Old 10-28-2002, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by johnvt1111
agreed, i think i posted something similar a few days ago
12 ****innnnnnnng days since the last time I contacted Dallas. In that email, he told me his TIG guy would be there that night! So, 12 days have passed, and he doesn't respond to me!?!? What is the deal? Please calm me down, people! Thanks
Old 10-29-2002, 07:41 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I don't know why everyone thinks the SS Tig is a superior design. It's strictly for looks plus the stuff is expensive and is hard to get in the relatively small quantities they need therefore it's going to be a long wait. Alumninum is fine even in the salty climates. How do I know? I've owned the WSP non-mandrel alumninum pipe for over 1 year and I live in Kansas City wth salty winters. The pipe still looks new.

If you think the mandrel bent pipe performs better than non-mandrel, think again. We have a Max owner in KC that's does dyno testing for WSP and the non-mandrel pipe made 1hp less than the mandrel pipe. Don't blame WSP either, they even say the mandrel pipe really doesn't do much over the non-mandrel.

Dave
Old 10-29-2002, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
I don't know why everyone thinks the SS Tig is a superior design. It's strictly for looks plus the stuff is expensive and is hard to get in the relatively small quantities they need therefore it's going to be a long wait. Alumninum is fine even in the salty climates. How do I know? I've owned the WSP non-mandrel alumninum pipe for over 1 year and I live in Kansas City wth salty winters. The pipe still looks new.

If you think the mandrel bent pipe performs better than non-mandrel, think again. We have a Max owner in KC that's does dyno testing for WSP and the non-mandrel pipe made 1hp less than the mandrel pipe. Don't blame WSP either, they even say the mandrel pipe really doesn't do much over the non-mandrel.

Dave
Yes we should blame warpspeed sir. Not to blame them for the mandrel vs. pressure bending as you stated earlier, but for the simple reason they take orders they can't supply. If you read their website it never says that it has a better output of horsepower, the only thing is that it has better air flow, and that their y pipe will out perform the competitions 400 y pipe. That said, you just stated what everyone knows and sided with warpspeed, their product is superior, whatever you buy from them, their customer service, is inferior, serverely................
Old 10-29-2002, 10:07 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

My recent experience with Warpspeed revolved around me simply asking which pipe(s) were in stock. Within a day, I had my answer and made my choice based on what they had due to time constraints.

If people would ask instead of ASSume, then things would go smoother.

If something isn't physically in stock, not ordering it is probably your best move. There are several other places that supply y-pipes. Thankfully, Maxima owners do have choices.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe
My recent experience with Warpspeed revolved around me simply asking which pipe(s) were in stock. Within a day, I had my answer and made my choice based on what they had due to time constraints.

If something isn't physically in stock, not ordering it is probably your best move. There are several other places that supply y-pipes. Thankfully, Maxima owners do have choices.
In hind sight your definatly right. That should have been my first question.
The thing is I did not know the problems people were having with the long wait untill after I orderd. The day I orderd I found these threads with people waiting months for their pipes.
Also they did not divulge any information that they are way behind. They acted like they were shipping it that day.
It is more of their responsibility to be upfront than for me to know the specific questions to ask.
They most definatly have the responsibility to let their customers know if they are out of stock when an order is placed.
It is a good thing we have a choice, and if I can't get confirmation of shipping this week I will exercise that choice.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:22 PM

In hind sight your definatly right. That should have been my first question.
The thing is I did not know the problems people were having with the long wait untill after I orderd. The day I orderd I found these threads with people waiting months for their pipes.
Also they did not divulge any information that they are way behind. They acted like they were shipping it that day.
It is more of their responsibility to be upfront, than for me to know the specific questions to ask.
They most definatly have the responsibility to let their customers know if they are out of stock when an order is placed. They would not have problems with unsatisfied customers if they would just communicate better.
It is a good thing we have a choice, and if I can't get confirmation of shipping this week I will exercise that choice.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:30 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

It is more of their responsibility to be upfront, than for me to know the specific questions to ask.
They most definatly have the responsibility to let their customers know if they are out of stock when an order is placed. They would not have problems with unsatisfied customers if they would just communicate better.
That's unfortunate to hear since you were given that impression of its shipping status.

It is their responsibility to know AND be up front with status of stock of the inventory with customers.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:54 PM

That's unfortunate to hear since you were given that impression of its shipping status.

It is their responsibility to know AND be up front with status of stock of the inventory with customers.
Whooooooooohoooooo.

Just got off the phone with Warpspeed(Lynn). My order is going out tommorrow. She gave me her word, no if and's or but's.
I had originally orderd the Y-pipe, cat, B-pipe fix. What they are waiting on is the B-pipe fix. So she is going to send the y-pipe and cat tommorrow. Finally!!
Since I may have to wait another week for the B-pipe fix I told her to cancell the order for the fix and just send me the complete b-pipe. I don't mind waiting a little longer for the B-pipe. As long as I can enjoy my Y in the mean time.

As for everyone esle waiting. She said since people have been waiting so long they are going to ship what they have now. So if your waiting on a few different parts you may get some of them soon. It seemed the Y-pipes are ready to go.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:22 PM

I talked to Lynn too, about 20 minutes ago. She clarified that aluminized Y-pipes for 2k-2k1 will ship tomorrow, but she has to check with Dallas on the status of SS TIG-welded Y-pipes. I'm probably first on the list to receive one.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:33 PM

im probably second................
Old 10-29-2002, 02:58 PM

TIG/MIG

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave
Dave, just to clarify, I thought I ordered the mig. Perhaps the tig guy does the mig as well? If I ordered the TIG, that was my mistake. I had a talk awith Lynn about the diff, and she told me looks. I told her that they aren't that important. I never have my car jacked up anyway, so I don't show the underbody. ANY type of weld is better than what it looks like under there now! How is the RPM switch ordeal going anyway??? I am getting one from Mr. Cranmann with my VI kit. He said he ordered them a while ago, but harlan hasn't filled it yet?!?!?!
Old 10-29-2002, 03:34 PM

Re: TIG/MIG

Dallas sent me an email today saying that mine shipped today!!!!!! YAY. can't wait. Actually, he said only the y shipped. the b didn't yet
Old 10-29-2002, 06:01 PM

Re: Re: TIG/MIG

Dallas sent me an email today saying that mine shipped today!!!!!! YAY. can't wait. Actually, he said only the y shipped. the b didn't yet
what type of y pipe??????????????ss, if so mig or tig? or aluminized?
Old 10-29-2002, 08:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: TIG/MIG

what type of y pipe??????????????ss, if so mig or tig? or aluminized?
SS. i don't know whether i ordered mig or tig! sorry
Old 10-29-2002, 09:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: TIG/MIG

SS. i don't know whether i ordered mig or tig! sorry
i can tell u if you know how much you paid, did u get a discount for getting a b pipe? if so what was the total on the y pipe, including shipping.....because i've been waiting more than 3 months and i wanna know if people are getting stuff that i got, before me, when i've been waiting longer.......
Old 10-29-2002, 09:13 PM

Re: Re: TIG/MIG

My Y is being shiped tommorrow without my B-pipe. Is your B-pipe going to be 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 diameter? I want the 2-1/2, but not sure that is what I am getting. I originally just orderd the B-pipe fix, I changed it to the whole B-pipe, but did not ask if it was the 2-1/2 or not. I am not sure they have even came out with the 2-1/2 yet.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:47 PM

My Y is being shiped tommorrow without my B-pipe. Is your B-pipe going to be 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 diameter? I want the 2-1/2, but not sure that is what I am getting. I originally just orderd the B-pipe fix, I changed it to the whole B-pipe, but did not ask if it was the 2-1/2 or not. I am not sure they have even came out with the 2-1/2 yet.
I really don't know what I got there. I found out that i did get the SS MIG welded Y-pipe
Old 10-30-2002, 05:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Warpspeed Y in 7 business days!

I GOT it! They must be doing better in turnaround time than many have experienced. Aluminizied 3rd gen. Looks clean and beautiful! Hope it fits? Find out on Fri.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:57 PM

Hey Mike. I got my y-pipe, but like you, I didn't receive my b-pipe. Dallas told me that it would be shipped at a later date, but didn't say when.
Did you find out at all when yours will be made and delivered? Have you talked to either Dallas or Lynn about this issue? Let me know.
Thanks
Matt
Old 11-04-2002, 04:27 PM

This is frustrating, still no y pipe after almost 4 months of calling twice a week
Old 11-05-2002, 10:37 AM

This is frustrating, still no y pipe after almost 4 months of calling twice a week
pm dallas at bmfjeep
that's what i did! i now have my y-pipe in my room. looks good!
Old 11-10-2002, 12:25 AM

pm dallas at bmfjeep
that's what i did! i now have my y-pipe in my room. looks good!
I am still waiting on a b-pipe! I want that so I can install both at the same time!

Quick Reply: warpspeed