Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

GRC Performance in SoCAL (Subframe connector install)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 07:43 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

GRC Performance in SoCAL (Subframe connector install)

I want to tell you guys how pleased I was with GRC Performance located in Mission Viejo, CA (Orange County).

Before I went to GRC Performance I went to a few local Domestic performance shops and many, many, MANY muffler shops for price quotes on subframe connector installations and to check out the quality of their work. I wasn't interested in just weld quality, but attention to detail. I had several months to research because I wasn't in much of a hurry to install them.

How did I come across GRC Performance? I read great things about them online and heard the same from people in-person. I spoke to Kevin over the phone and he was very professional and friendly. I visited their shop a week before to show them the SFCs and get a "feel" for the work they do in-person. He was to be my installer and I had total confidence in his expertise. Even though he has done many styles of SFC on other cars he took the time to read the instructions and picture printouts I brought with me.

When the install took place Kevin took the time to test fit them and made sure I was pleased with the placement. Some techs could be totally F-ing up and become plain A$$HOLES when you point it out to them or they won't allow you to make suggestions or even hang around (because of their stupid pride or whatever) but I was welcomed to check out the work after each pad was welded to the body. He also took the time to prep the connectors (they had rubber undercoating on them so he had to remove them at areas that will see welding). He sealed the exposed metal, welds, and parts of the tube-ends that could not be welded with seam-sealant and painted over the aforementioned areas and the entire SFC. He worked at Saleen before joining GRC, and demonstrated his knowledge through his informed opinions on SFC designs, installation, etc. That too helped reassure me that I was going to leave with NO doubts about the workmanship.

The install took about 1.5hrs and I was charged such. Their labor rate is $75/hr. IMO quality work is worth the $$$.

If you want both Stage 1 and 2 installed at the same time, he quotes 3hrs labor.

There are shops that quoted $60 to as much as $175 to install the stage 1 alone. This of course includes the prepwork (scrape off rubber undercoating, disc sanding of undercarriage and SFC weld areas, etc.). I saw several muffler shops do SFC installations on various cars. Some didn't even seam-weld or even try to weatherproof the exposed metal . I didn't want a hit-or-miss experience. I paid an average price for the installation, but I left GRC Performance's shop a very happy man with quality work underneath my car .

I highly recommend these guys if you haven't found an installer already. Hell, I had to drive almost one hour from LA to get my SFCs installed by them. They are worth it!

1-800-472-5209
23854 Via Fabricante Suite F-5
Mission Viejo, Ca 92691

Ask for Kevin.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:53 PM
Sin

Re: GRC Performance in SoCAL (Subframe connector install)

Originally posted by Smooth Operator
I want to tell you guys how pleased I was with GRC Performance located in Mission Viejo, CA (Orange County).

Before I went to GRC Performance I went to a few local Domestic performance shops and many, many, MANY muffler shops for price quotes on subframe connector installations and to check out the quality of their work. I wasn't interested in just weld quality, but attention to detail. I had several months to research because I wasn't in much of a hurry to install them.

How did I come across GRC Performance? I read great things about them online and heard the same from people in-person. I spoke to Kevin over the phone and he was very professional and friendly. I visited their shop a week before to show them the SFCs and get a "feel" for the work they do in-person. He was to be my installer and I had total confidence in his expertise. Even though he has done many styles of SFC on other cars he took the time to read the instructions and picture printouts I brought with me.

When the install took place Kevin took the time to test fit them and made sure I was pleased with the placement. Some techs could be totally F-ing up and become plain A$$HOLES when you point it out to them or they won't allow you to make suggestions or even hang around (because of their stupid pride or whatever) but I was welcomed to check out the work after each pad was welded to the body. He also took the time to prep the connectors (they had rubber undercoating on them so he had to remove them at areas that will see welding). He sealed the exposed metal, welds, and parts of the tube-ends that could not be welded with seam-sealant and painted over the aforementioned areas and the entire SFC. He worked at Saleen before joining GRC, and demonstrated his knowledge through his informed opinions on SFC designs, installation, etc. That too helped reassure me that I was going to leave with NO doubts about the workmanship.

The install took about 1.5hrs and I was charged such. Their labor rate is $75/hr. IMO quality work is worth the $$$.

If you want both Stage 1 and 2 installed at the same time, he quotes 3hrs labor.

There are shops that quoted $60 to as much as $175 to install the stage 1 alone. This of course includes the prepwork (scrape off rubber undercoating, disc sanding of undercarriage and SFC weld areas, etc.). I saw several muffler shops do SFC installations on various cars. Some didn't even seam-weld or even try to weatherproof the exposed metal . I didn't want a hit-or-miss experience. I paid an average price for the installation, but I left GRC Performance's shop a very happy man with quality work underneath my car .

I highly recommend these guys if you haven't found an installer already. Hell, I had to drive almost one hour from LA to get my SFCs installed by them. They are worth it!

1-800-472-5209
23854 Via Fabricante Suite F-5
Mission Viejo, Ca 92691

Ask for Kevin.
Awesome, I wish I knew a shop like that. Congrats on such a rare find.