Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

don't shop,NTB or Sears

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003 | 10:00 PM

don't shop,NTB or Sears

I took my imaculate 97 SE to NTB [National Tire and Battery](owned by Sears) for a new battery.When the tech. was checking my old battery I noticed he hit my fender 3 times with one of the tester cables and clamp.Well I bit my tongue and didn't say anything. I went inside to pay for my new battery. When I came out the hood was down and I got in and went home.When a got home I immediatly found a dime size paint chip on the corner of my hood on the top left above the battery.The store was closed so the next morning I called the manager. He went to my work and looked at the chip.Of course he said he didn't think they could have possibly have doneit ETC. ETC.My car doesn't have a scratch on it and I had just washed it 48 hrs earlier.NTB did it no doubt what so ever. He tried to trip me up into admitting I couldn't prove the chip wasn't already their. He didn't seem to care that I actually saw his employee being careless with the cable.After aguing with him he told me to get an estimate. I spent 1/2 of my off day getting 2 estimates $367 and $364.He called me and offered to pay half. They didn't halfway chip my paint so I said half was unexceptable. I called the District Manager and he said he would have to back his manager and only offered me half.I Then spent the entire day talking to about 10 different Sears NO!! customer service reps.All of them gave me the same answer, that Sears would not change the decision of one of its district managers.One guy did call the store manager to ask him to change his mind but he refused. I told the district manager I was taking them to small claims court, he said go ahead.If go to small claims court I will have to miss a days work which will cost me more than the $183 they offered. I'll also probably loose because I didn't see the tech scrape my hood. I'll get nothing and I'll have to pay court cost.As much as it chaps my butt I'm going to have to call the distict manager and take 1/2.Their is an entire web site, sorry I don't have the address, devoted to peoples cars NTB has damaged and not paid for.I can't believe a company with the reputation of Sears want take care of it's obligations. SO to all Maxima owners Don't shop NTB or make a major purchase at Sears.If something happens they won't take care of "you" the constumer.
Old 09-17-2003 | 10:09 PM
Always sunny in philly

It'll be a long shot to prove something like that unless you have hard evidence.

Life's a ***** sometimes man. Just go ahead and take the half, but on your way out, you can always "accidentally" set the place on fire.

LoL (i was only kidding.) Yeah, i worked at sears before and ill tell ya (everything about them sucks).
Old 09-17-2003 | 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by chillinmax
It'll be a long shot to prove something like that unless you have hard evidence.

Life's a ***** sometimes man. Just go ahead and take the half, but on your way out, you can always "accidentally" set the place on fire.

LoL (i was only kidding.) Yeah, i worked at sears before and ill tell ya (everything about them sucks).
- Yeah, I'd just take the half of the money as well.
As soon as you fix that scratch, you'll get another one somewhere else - you never know!!
Old 09-17-2003 | 10:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I took my car to sears to get the brakes changed. The next time I took it to the dealer, and they said that whoever did the previous brake service did a pretty crappy job. The tech asked who did the job, and I told him Sears, he just shook his head with a smirk as if he was not surprised. After the Sears install, I kept having noisy brakes, that is until I took it to the dealer. The last brake job I did myself and it is nice and quiet.
Old 09-18-2003 | 03:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Go to a trusted mechanic... not sears...
Old 09-18-2003 | 04:40 AM

Similar bad expiriense...

Well, it's not really mechanics related, but two weeks I go I went to Circuit City (Norwalk, CT) to buy and install new stereo. That was the worst customer service I had so far. It took the guy one hour and a half to install a radio because he did not know how to do the wiring, was going around the place all the time, behaved rather carelessly and I still had to reassamble the panel myself after him at home 'cause he did really a lousy job, glad he didn't brake anything.
Gush, I read the board at least 20 times claiming "...serviced by certified professionals" and asked myself why I am there.

Sorry for you bro, I understand how it feels....
Old 09-18-2003 | 06:59 AM

I went to Sears this past weekend for an alignment and balancing, and when I got my car back, there was grease on the seat, shift ****, and door panel. It wouldn't have bothered me as much (cause I do it all the time), but I have tan leather, and the alignment was still off. At least before I got the alignment, it didn't pull, mostly cause both the wheels were toed in (?), and now it pulls soo bad that I can make a no hands lane change @ 80mph. Definately not good. Ohh, and they also left greasy hand smudges on both fenders and one of the rear quarter panel. PITA
Old 09-18-2003 | 10:21 AM

I feel everyones pain with sears and NTB. I got my brakes done at NTB about 6 months ago and ever since then there was a noise coming from my rear brakes so after taking it to NTB to fix 4 times it was still not fixed so I went to sears to look at it and they said whoever put my brakes on messed everthing up so I f*** it fix it. So after 6 hours I go back and get a bill for 692.00 dollars, and not only that there was a huge slash in my front tire and I know it was not there when I took it to sears. So the next day I go back to sears to tell them about the bill and my tire(which I no longer have on cause of the tire)they said they did not do that to the tire so I said f*** it, whatever so the next day I am running around to sears and NTB about the bill after many phone calls and going to the stores NTB said go out to sears to talk about it cause NTB found out that the guy at sears drove my car 40 mph and SLAMMED on the brakes can you believe that sears a national store did that. So anyway I go to sears to talk the manager and at first he said he will pay only 200.00 of the bill and I said no you guys drove my car fast and slammed on the brakes it is your fault so after about 2 hours he call his distict manager and now they are refunding my 634.00 dollars which I cant complain but my tire still has the gash in it. So to all my MAXIMA owners NEVER go to sears or NTB they are d***s and dont give up on getting your refunds. GOOD LUCK
Old 09-20-2003 | 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by jamyers
I feel everyones pain with sears and NTB. I got my brakes done at NTB about 6 months ago and ever since then there was a noise coming from my rear brakes so after taking it to NTB to fix 4 times it was still not fixed so I went to sears to look at it and they said whoever put my brakes on messed everthing up so I f*** it fix it. So after 6 hours I go back and get a bill for 692.00 dollars, and not only that there was a huge slash in my front tire and I know it was not there when I took it to sears. So the next day I go back to sears to tell them about the bill and my tire(which I no longer have on cause of the tire)they said they did not do that to the tire so I said f*** it, whatever so the next day I am running around to sears and NTB about the bill after many phone calls and going to the stores NTB said go out to sears to talk about it cause NTB found out that the guy at sears drove my car 40 mph and SLAMMED on the brakes can you believe that sears a national store did that. So anyway I go to sears to talk the manager and at first he said he will pay only 200.00 of the bill and I said no you guys drove my car fast and slammed on the brakes it is your fault so after about 2 hours he call his distict manager and now they are refunding my 634.00 dollars which I cant complain but my tire still has the gash in it. So to all my MAXIMA owners NEVER go to sears or NTB they are d***s and dont give up on getting your refunds. GOOD LUCK
I was understanding about my chipped paint.Everyone can have 1 bad employee or accidents can happen. Whats got me p***** isthe managers attitude. He kepy trying to say that they didn't do the damaged and kept trying to trip me up.I guess i can sorta understand the district manager backing his manager but the rest of the dozen or so people i talked infuriated me. They all had the same line "we can't over rule a district manager.Each person i talked to each gave me a new number to call and I bet it was in the same office.I feel NTB, Sears, stole $183 from me because i called the district manager friday and took his 1/2 offer. I had no choice.My only other choice was to go to small claims court where I would be going against a high dollar corporate lawyer.i'd loose and get nothing plus I'd have to pay $50m court cost and i'd miss a days pay from work.The NTB store that ripped me off is on Oxmoor rd. Homewood , Alabama . The store manager is Mike williams. The District manager is Todd Williams, he's in Tennessee.The address for the Sears complaint department is Hoffman estates, 3333 Beverly Rd.Hoffman estates IL.60179. I know it's a waste of time but i'm writing them a nasty letter.I'm telling them that besides all the Kenmore, Diehard and craftsman products I've bought over the years I still own a kenmore washer and dryer, refrigerator,diswasher, microwave and stove. I have a craftsman wet vac, weedeater and chain saw.I now also have a diehard battery that I wish i could they'd stick up their ***. I'll never set foot in a NTB store again and I'll never buy a major appliance form Sears.Additionally I work for a very large company thats 3 blocks from the NTB.I'm telling everyone at work not to shop at NTB. I'm also showing anyone in the parking lot the chip in my paint and telling them the whole story.I may have loose $183 but I'm going to cost them far more.
Old 09-20-2003 | 11:47 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Sears mounted 3 of my directional tires backwards. Never again.....
Old 09-21-2003 | 07:28 AM

sears sux.

sears sux.

I got new tires mounted and balanced, they stripped two wheel studs in the front. Never again ..too.

Originally Posted by asu174
Sears mounted 3 of my directional tires backwards. Never again.....
Old 10-07-2003 | 10:57 PM

ntb, replaced alternator, didnt put bolt on

took the car to infiniti dealer,, come to find out , ntb never even put a bolt on either the alternator or tensionor,,,,,,cost me 90 buck for a freaking bolt on a 600 dollar alternator job,,,,,never again,,,,,,,,,
Old 10-08-2003 | 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by raybone97-I30t
took the car to infiniti dealer,, come to find out , ntb never even put a bolt on either the alternator or tensionor,,,,,,cost me 90 buck for a freaking bolt on a 600 dollar alternator job,,,,,never again,,,,,,,,,
Sears just sold NTB so i guess i was lucky to get half of the money.I've been trying to repair the chip all week long and I've had no luck.I spent $36 on paint and it looks worse than before if anything. i'll keep trying to fix it but i have a feeling i'm going to have to pay a body shop $367 to fix it.