Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

need advice on how to deal with Carmax

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:31 PM

need advice on how to deal with Carmax

hey guys, a couple of weeks I bought an 03 Max from a Carmax here in California. The Car was fully loaded complete with the OEM navigation system. When I was test driving the car I noticed a button was missing on the Nav. The sales guy said it was something for the radio and not very important. Not knowing that the Climate controls were intigrated into the Nav system I bought the car. We actually had rain here that week and I found out that the button that was missing was my front defroster.

I took the car back to carmax and they swore up and down that they could just repair the button. So they brought in their electronics tech that said he could get just the face plate for the NAV. Mean while I called several Nissan dealerships and all said it was impossiable to repair and there is no face plate replacement for the unit.

Apperently Carmax got the same responses and are now trying to decide if they want to fix the unit, since the only fix will be to replace the entire nav unit.

what are your suggestion on how I should handle this situation. At a minimum they sold me a car that was unsafe.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:07 PM

I've had some bad experiences with Carmax, and I refuse to ever deal with them again.

As far as what to do going foward: do you know any attorneys who would write a letter on your behalf? The threat of litigation works wonders sometimes.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:11 PM

i've seen this somewhere before. It is common for that button to fall off apparently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...spagenameZWDVW
Old 02-12-2008, 04:15 PM

The only 2 ***** available separate are for the audio controls. To replace the button you are missing, it will require a new NAV display unit. Part # 28090-5y700 with a list price of $3929.69, but there is a TSB on it NTB01-058, not sure what it says though, I don't have access to it right now.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 PM
L.M.L.

sometimes i'm just amused how people complain about their cars here... a button that does nothing more but turns on a/c and switches airflow to the windshild at the same time, (which btw can be done by pushing other buttons to get the same result) that's all what is wrong with the car?! "unsafe"? as i said... amusing...

Old 02-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ajsilvaoc
At a minimum they sold me a car that was unsafe.

can you elaborate please....
how is a small button make the car unsafe? Will it not pass inspection?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 PM

You would think that a defrost button is no big deal, however when your cruising down the freeway with your family in the car in the pouring rain and the windows start to fog up you realize just how important that little button is. turning on the AC does nothing to keep the windows clear.

So I'm kind of curious L.M.L what other buttons do you use to divert air to the front windshield to keep it from fogging up??
Old 02-12-2008, 08:54 PM

I am not familiar with the safety inspection in your state but here in Newfoundland and I am sure just about everywhere else the defrost has to work for inspection which is why if most systems fail it would go to defrost as a default. I do believe you have a case for an unsafe car. It is just as important as headlights or wipers. You need to see where you are going in order to avoid hitting a pedestrian or anything else. I would speak to the sales person and let them know that it is a safety issue and maybe speak to the service manager. If you get nowhere with that I would file a complaint with your department for motor vehicle safety stating that you bought a car that was safety inspected and the defrost doesn't work nor did it work when the car was inspected.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 PM

I work at CarMax in sales here in chicago. It does not matter what is wrong with the car they will take care of it in the first 30 days. They have to. Make an appoitment bring the vehicle and keep on pushing that you want to return the vehicle because it is unsafe to drive it. Tell them that you want a loaner for the time being and you want them to extend the 30 days because it is coming so close to them. Make sure you do all that in the first 30 days. They must take care of all the problems. It does not matter how much the expense is. it is not your problem. Just bring it there and tell them to fix it. and you want to extend the warrenty? also i got a question did you buy MaxCare? Also, about the previous post, when we do the safety inspection it is NOT one of the things on our check list. JUST LET THEM TAKE CARE OF IT. THEY SHOULD NOT GIVE YOU MUCH PROBLEMS. THEY WILL DO IT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:00 PM

So I'm kind of curious L.M.L what other buttons do you use to divert air to the front windshield to keep it from fogging up??
On my AC controls(Digital) i can press the mode button til it goes to feet / windshield.. not quite sure on how to do it on the OEM-Nav
Old 02-12-2008, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dimashka
I work at CarMax in sales here in chicago. It does not matter what is wrong with the car they will take care of it in the first 30 days. They have to. Make an appoitment bring the vehicle and keep on pushing that you want to return the vehicle because it is unsafe to drive it. Tell them that you want a loaner for the time being and you want them to extend the 30 days because it is coming so close to them. Make sure you do all that in the first 30 days. They must take care of all the problems. It does not matter how much the expense is. it is not your problem. Just bring it there and tell them to fix it. and you want to extend the warrenty? also i got a question did you buy MaxCare? Also, about the previous post, when we do the safety inspection it is NOT one of the things on our check list. JUST LET THEM TAKE CARE OF IT. THEY SHOULD NOT GIVE YOU MUCH PROBLEMS. THEY WILL DO IT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.
Like Dimashka says,take it back to CarMax asap and let them take care of the problem completely.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:26 PM

Dimashka its funny that you mentioned the MaxCare. I did purchase the 18 months 18,000 mile Maxcare. And Carmax was all ready to fix the problem until they found out how much the part was going to be. Now the excuse was that it's not covered under the warranty
Old 02-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

turning on the AC does nothing to keep the windows clear.
Running the A/C compressor will absolutely keep the windows clear. It will keep dry air inside the car, no matter what vents it's coming through.

Dry air will not fog up windows.

On my 4th gen, I run AUTO climate control most all the time. The A/C will run unless it's well below freezing, keeping the incoming air warm/cool and dry. I don't think I've ever used the defrost botton. I let the system do it's thing.

BUT.....
Definately bring it back and allow them to fix it. I hate missing buttons.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:19 AM

you are still under the 30 day warrenty. The must cover everything. It even states it in the brochure you got at the door when you walked into carmax. Like i said bring it htere and tell them it is unsafe for you tor drive it and you need for them to take care of it right away. also call the Locational General Manager and let him know about the situation. they will take care of it.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I know someone who bought a black Infiniti M35 from CarMax that was absolutely trashed with rotary swirls, looked absolutely hideous in the sun. Several areas of the paint were burnt, no other real option on this car other than a repaint-and then the owner is stuck with the diminished value of a repainted car. Last I heard, he was still fighting with them to either repaint the car or find him another one. Damn shame too, the interior was mint and the car only had 9000 miles on it. Ruined because some moron took a rotary to a black car without the first clue how to use one.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I know someone who bought a black Infiniti M35 from CarMax that was absolutely trashed with rotary swirls, looked absolutely hideous in the sun. Several areas of the paint were burnt, no other real option on this car other than a repaint-and then the owner is stuck with the diminished value of a repainted car. Last I heard, he was still fighting with them to either repaint the car or find him another one. Damn shame too, the interior was mint and the car only had 9000 miles on it. Ruined because some moron took a rotary to a black car without the first clue how to use one.
I'm curious what argument he is using to have them repaint it? I could see that one as a losing battle, if you inspected the car prior to purchasing it then that's kind of on you.
That's one of the secondary problem I have with the car. It must have sat for a really long time some where becuase on the hood eched in the paint someone wrote "move me". You know the way someone writes wash me in the dirt. I figured I would just eat the cost on that because it was something that I should have caught during inspection.

Other then the 2 issues i love the car and it's in really good shape.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I'm curious what argument he is using to have them repaint it? I could see that one as a losing battle, if you inspected the car prior to purchasing it then that's kind of on you.
He bought the car on a cloudy day, making it hard to see the swirls. The fact is though, their detailer destroyed the paint on the car. One would have a reasonable expectation that a car with 9000 miles on it would have pretty much "like new" paint.

Plus, they told him the bumpers had been repainted due to chips (front) and scrapes (rear) but by looking over the car, I could tell the whole front end had been reshot. A Carfax report didn't indicate any of that.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 AM

I can tell you one thing only. CarMax is not the best place to buy a car. It is the easiest place. and you are going to be treated like a person. Yes, bad cars come through our lot but lets look through other dealer lots. FRAME DAMAGE? FLOOD DAMAGE? swirl marks are nothing compared to that. If you know a lot about cars it does not matter where you buy it as long as you can tell if the car is good or not.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 AM
wants an I35

a company like carmax has a lot to lose in terms of credibility and reputation.

basically, if you are upset about a car you got from them and they are either dragging their feet to get it fixed or denying reponsibility, ask to talk to a manager or owner, and threaten to go to the local paper/local news station.

i GUARANTEE it will change the way they are handling the situation.

and yea you can play up the safety issue, because it is unsafe to have a clouded windshield at highway speeds. i dunno wtf the other people in here are talking about.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:24 AM

did your car has safety/emmisions inspection?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:03 AM

take it to the ministry of transportation right away
Then they will ask you to bring in to a government repair facility/inspection and they will contact the licenced tech who signed that safety and fine the shop and could potentially remove his licence.
This is serious regulated industry and if you wait longer a vehicle has to be safe for 30 days or so depending on juristiction and if you wait any longer without complaining they will say it passed the safety certificate's time. Don't feel sory for tech and shop and protect yourself as if you wait any longer it will go against you. Besides this will teach them a lesson to open their eyes next time when they sign that a vehicle is roadworty safe.
Take my advice!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 AM

Moved....