Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

TheRetrofitSource.com (TRS) Mixed Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 01:18 PM

TheRetrofitSource.com (TRS) Mixed Review

So I read gleaming reviews of this company when I decided to undertake a retrofit project for the ebay projector headlights on my '01 Maxi. Instead of going the boneyard or ebay route, I went with the reputation of TRS and bought everything from them - set of G37 projectors, STi-R clear lenses, Morimoto D2S bulbs, D2S->AMP adapters and a couple days later, I ordered their H4 ground-switched bixenon harness.

I initiated with an email inquiry, for which I received a reply from Andrew the next day. Our emails continued for a couple of days before I placed an order. Customer service is indeed very good - they are very helpful and courteous.

First order arrived in a couple of days and things were well-packaged for shipping. The clear lenses were not installed and were boxed separately. I never unboxed them until I was done with the modifications and ready to install them. Upon removing the fresnel lenses off the housings, both were broken on the mounting edges. the clear lenses also had some chips, but I regarded them as minor and installed them anyway.

While waiting for the projectors, I ordered the harness. I emailed Andrew again to inquire of its applicability to the Maxima. He informed me they had one specially for ground-switched applications that was not listed on the website and could sell it to me for $30. It also arrived within a couple days of ordering it. While waiting for the harness, the projectors arrived. They included a card that offers free shipping to return customers, with an included discount code. I was not offered the shipping discount when I ordered the harness. I let that slide too. Also, the pigtails did not match the ones on the soleniod harnesses they provided - again, no big deal: I chopped them and rewired.

Harness was defective. I unwired & rewired everything 3 times until I figured out it was the microcontroller. Spoke with Andrew again, who offered to replace the microcontroller, but they were out of stock and expecting more within a week.

In the meantime, I did some thread surfing here & on the HIDPlanet forums and learned that people had problems with the microcontroller harness, that it was an "old style" that TRS no longer sold, and had been replaced with a "new style" harness (the one shown on their website). Spoke with Andrew again, who tried to convince me the microcontroller style was a more advanced harness, but after I picked his brain enough, he eventually admitted that the relay harness was newer and more dependable. He agreed to send me a new-style replacement. I let him know I would really like to have it by the weekend. This was the morning of Wed, 10/13/11 - they marked the order shipped the following evening.

I'm the type of person who firmly believes in having a backup plan, so I ordered an ebay harness in case the replacement didn't work (since I don't feel like removing my stock halogens, rewiring again, installing projector headlights and undoing everything for the umpteenth time), and guess what...The ebay harness I got is EXACTLY IDENTICAL TO THE TRS HARNESS! Same harness wiring, same microcontroller, identical stickers, EVERYTHING down to the last detail! What a disappointment and worse, what a ripoff - OMG!

I bought it from HIDDistributor on ebay for $20 & free shipping. TRS charged me $30 + $6.83 shipping (and they offer it on ebay for $35 + $9.41 shipping). I am now convinced all the other ebay harnesses that sell a lot cheaper are the same. The only reason I went with the more expensive one from HIDDistributor is because it was the only one that had the ability to state it fit the '01 Maxima.

I haven't received my "new style" harness yet, but now I'm wondering how much cheaper I could've found it elsewhere...

I don't know if my review seems petty - yes, it's little things, but enough of them have added up to the point where I'm frustrated with them. I'm glad there's companies like them out there, making it possible for us to do these types of mods but when they charge top dollar, I expect better quality control and blazing-fast action to get me replacements.

The worst though, is because their website ad states: "The list of features goes on and on with the Morimoto Heavy Duty wire harnesses, making them easily worth their premium over the $10 "eBay special" harness" and now I feel cheated because that's exactly what they sold me at a heavily-inflated price.

I have not received the "new style" harness yet, so I cannot comment on it. However, my whole point here is to advise you to do your research & shop around before you drop your money.