Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

a few detailing questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 01:32 AM

a few detailing questions...

What is the best wax to use for your car? ALSO When i got my car detailed, this guy used this stuff to spray on my engine parts to make it shine. It was called "instant shine" or something like that. Does anybody know what company makes this spray stuff....?
Old 08-13-2003, 03:11 AM
Jer

Zaino, Mother's, Meguiar's, they'll all make your car shine and it's a matter of preference. Personally I swear by Zaino.

Cleaning your engine bay? Spray with Simple Green and rinse off, the stuff is non abrasive, etc etc and does a good job.

Got an extra AE kit lying around btw?
Old 08-13-2003, 07:53 AM

thanks..man No more AE kits left. BUT! I use simple green already. I was asking for the name of the spray used to make parts "shine"..."instant shine" or something like that...
Old 08-13-2003, 08:31 AM

You can also try Klass AIO, which is a great cleaner wax and very easy to use. Top that off with some Sealant Glaze for a deep shine and top everything off with some S100 wax for an even deeper shine.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:24 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally posted by guapsnaman
You can also try Klass AIO, which is a great cleaner wax and very easy to use. Top that off with some Sealant Glaze for a deep shine and top everything off with some S100 wax for an even deeper shine.
AIO is not cleaner wax, but the AIO -> SG -> S100 process is good.

There is no "best" wax. There's waxes like mothers, Meguiars, S100, Blitz, Ardex there's sealants like Zaino, Klasse AIO/SG...etc.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by rob van dam
...I was asking for the name of the spray used to make parts "shine"..."instant shine" or something like that...
Personally, I use a spray bottle of 50/50 water and Meguiars Natural Shine. It doesn't coat the engine with a greasy, shiny, dust collecting grime like a lot of others. It leaves a satin finish mixed this way, and hoses are black and protected.
After cleaning, spray your hoses and plastics with the mixture. Drive around a bit to speed drying, then use a towel to wipe off any excess. Looks very professional and clean when done. And it won't accelerate the deteriorating of your rubber/plastic.

Dave
Old 08-13-2003, 08:20 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Zaino or Klasse
Old 08-13-2003, 11:17 PM

i normally use armoral for most of my shining(kiss my *** i know no one likes it except me), but it does a terrible job in the engine bay so i bought some STP armoral like stuff in a yellow bottle from a gas station while on my way to a maxima/altima meet. and it is the best ive found, my engine bay still shines since i put it on saturday

good luck
Old 08-14-2003, 06:08 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally posted by BadKarma99-4spd
i normally use armoral for most of my shining(kiss my *** i know no one likes it except me)
Just FYI (I know this probably won't change your mind, but you might like to ahve all the facts) the reason most people don't like Armor all isn't the finish (although that's one reason) it's because Armor-all has the "bad" type of silicone in it that will dry out your plastic parts. So basically you may be doing more harm than good by using it. Like I said, I'm not trying to change your mind if you like it, just thought you should know...
Old 08-14-2003, 10:33 AM
OG and counting...

Actually, many folks use Meguiar's Engine Kote or Armor All on engine parts.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by endus

Just FYI (I know this probably won't change your mind, but you might like to ahve all the facts) the reason most people don't like Armor all isn't the finish (although that's one reason) it's because Armor-all has the "bad" type of silicone in it that will dry out your plastic parts. So basically you may be doing more harm than good by using it. Like I said, I'm not trying to change your mind if you like it, just thought you should know...
Original Armor All is "safe" these days, don't sweat it.

The STP product in the yellow bottle was probably Son of a Gun. Same idea. They're all water-based, white, milky liquids based on a safe silicone chemical. Open it up and take a look and sniff if you're not sure. The only thing that people should steer away from are the clear, colourless super high shine products out there, which contain petroleum distillates. I don't know if the silicones used in this stuff is different or just dissolved differently in higher concentration, but PDs generally aren't very vinyl or rubber friendly in the long run.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:55 PM

ive always used armor all, my parents used it on our 90 maxima once a week for the 13yrs it was owned by our family and that car was beautiful inside and out(dash, tires)

just no leather, just my personal experience
Old 08-15-2003, 06:20 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally posted by Bman
Original Armor All is "safe" these days, don't sweat it.

The STP product in the yellow bottle was probably Son of a Gun. Same idea. They're all water-based, white, milky liquids based on a safe silicone chemical. Open it up and take a look and sniff if you're not sure. The only thing that people should steer away from are the clear, colourless super high shine products out there, which contain petroleum distillates. I don't know if the silicones used in this stuff is different or just dissolved differently in higher concentration, but PDs generally aren't very vinyl or rubber friendly in the long run.
Are you sure? You could be right but someone who apparently knew what they were talking about on Autopia was talking about the specific types of silicone that Armorall contains. You could be right though...

Whateva...I use 303...it's way better anyway!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You need to clay before you polish. UNLESS the paint is free of contaminants. Take a plastic ziplock bag, and GENTLY rub you paint with your fingers inside. If it is smooth, you don't need to slay. If it feels like sandpaper, you NEED to clay, or you will just drive the contaminants in further. It is like polishing a turd.

As for your fenderwells, spray it with simple green, and pressure wash them.

Click Here

Last edited by Danny_Harris; 10-30-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Danny_Harris
You need to clay before you polish. UNLESS the paint is free of contaminents. Take a plastic ziplock bag, and GENTLY rub your paint with your fingers inside. If it is smooth, you don't need to clay. If it feels like sand paper, you NEED to clay, or you will just drive the contaminents in further. It is like polishing a turd.

As for your fenderwells, spray it with simple green, and pressure wash them.
I'm sure the folks who posted in this thread a decade ago appreciate your insights re: turd polishing