Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

my poor front bumper....so hazy, and buggy what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 08:17 AM

my poor front bumper....so hazy, and buggy what to do?

Ok well I drive 100 miles a day to work and backk all interestate..so as you can imagine my front bumper has lots its shine...and its pitted with stupid bugs. Whats the best way to get all the bugs off. I have tried tar/bug remover to no avail. BUt once I get them off bringing back some shine would be nice........any ideas?
Old 03-12-2004, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by infinitiblast
Ok well I drive 100 miles a day to work and backk all interestate..so as you can imagine my front bumper has lots its shine...and its pitted with stupid bugs. Whats the best way to get all the bugs off. I have tried tar/bug remover to no avail. BUt once I get them off bringing back some shine would be nice........any ideas?
Well, if your paint is anything like mine, you're out of luck. I take good care of the paint on my 2000 GLE, but bugs/rocks/etc. have pitted it to the point that it feels rough to the touch, even when it's completely clean.

Put a good coat of wax on it and hope for the best. Alternatively, get it repainted. If you go that route, I recommend NOT using OEM paint.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2004, 06:21 PM

Thats what a clay bar is for.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You could try claying them off and/or soaking them with bug remover, but if you haven't been cleaning the bugs off right after your 100 mile drives, and they've been on there for a very long time, then there is a very good chance that you have deep pitting and etching in the bumper because of the destructive nature of "bug juice".

If you're brave you can try to use a stronger cut compound/cleaner to level it down, but you're most likely headed for a repaint if it turns out it's that bad.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was at a weird auto supply place. I saw some sort of spray can that was a protective film designed to be sprayed on a clean bumper and then washed off after your travel. Supposedly its a thick coating that dries and protects the bumper from bugs adhereing. I think its for RV's and that sort of vehicle. Though I don't see why it wouldn't work on a car's bumper.

Maybe you can find something like that locally. I may give it a shot this summer when I'm doing some long distance traveling. It would be worth the $5 to find something to help minimize the damage.

Alternately a car bra would do the same thing for you too.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:12 AM

yeah you can try claying the bumper. this kinda works for me, but when i wax my car, i give my front bumper like 2 or 3 coats of it. helps with getting bugs and other crap off.