Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Basic Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 06:31 AM

Basic Q's

Hey all, just joined, just got my max, done nothing to it yet, and wondering what the best thing to do to the paint job (meguire's wax?) to start with. If anyone could lead me in the right direction or throw some ideas my way I'd be grateful. I absolutely love the color of it and it was recommended that I protect it. Thanks a bunch, sorry I'm a rookie. -steve
Old 04-28-2004, 06:44 AM
It's business time.

If you don't mind spending the cash, go with Zaino.

http://www.zainostore.com/
Old 04-28-2004, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by ABDomega
If you don't mind spending the cash, go with Zaino.

http://www.zainostore.com/
Excellent! thanks for the tip. now, onto where to start mods........
Old 04-28-2004, 08:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you really want to learn how to properly detail, check out www.autopia.org. It is dedicated strictly to detailing. Those are the guys to ask about this.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by SarxahsMax
Modding really depends on what kind of setup you're looking to have on your care. Are you the type that likes to attend shows and whatnot? or do you fancy life in the fast lane?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:07 AM

I would suggest getting an intake now. Berk makes excellent intakes for a very very nice price.
http://www.berktechnology.com/
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=293385 - group deal on those intakes. You might wanna email Cobymoby first to see if the deal is still going.

Also, get some clear sides. Cheap but effective(for looks of course ). Good luck!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:20 AM

In my view any type of 3-step process will really help your paint stay nice.
1) Paint cleaner + elbow greese takes all of the stains, water marks & chalkiness out of the surface of the paint.
2) Polish this is what makes the paint shine mostly by adding back chemicals to the paint itself.
3) Wax this is what protects all of the work that you just did.

Mr.Peabody
Old 04-29-2004, 05:58 AM

thank you!!

to all who replied: thank you! i'm very impressed how helpful everyone on here can be. i was nervous that since my car had NOTHING done to it yet that i'd be the black sheep, but you've made me feel at home and given helpful advice. i got the 3 step process, and i'm checking on the intake. anyone close want to install it? ha ha. thanks again everyone.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by carabuser
I would suggest getting an intake now. Berk makes excellent intakes for a very very nice price.
http://www.berktechnology.com/
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=293385 - group deal on those intakes. You might wanna email Cobymoby first to see if the deal is still going.

Also, get some clear sides. Cheap but effective(for looks of course ). Good luck!
thanks for the advice, but i've got 2 dumb newbie q's for you:

1. (embarassed) is an intake going to hinder gas mileage or anything to that extent? i'm going to be driving it quite a bit, and want to keep the engine running for as long as possible.

2. where do i get the clear sides? again, sorry i have to ask these dumb q's. i just entered the max world (i love it but i'm like a child attempting quantum physics)

to answer one of your questions about what i'm going after, i will not be entering my max in shows, so i'd have to say i'm going for a little more speed/whatever i can improve on the max that needs improving. i don't need to impress anyone but ME, so the rims and all can stay (i do like the clear sides however). i just want to make it run as good as possible. long post. sorry
Old 04-29-2004, 06:22 AM

thanks for the advice, but i've got 2 dumb newbie q's for you:

1. (embarassed) is an intake going to hinder gas mileage or anything to that extent? i'm going to be driving it quite a bit, and want to keep the engine running for as long as possible.

2. where do i get the clear sides? again, sorry i have to ask these dumb q's. i just entered the max world (i love it but i'm like a child attempting quantum physics)

to answer one of your questions about what i'm going after, i will not be entering my max in shows, so i'd have to say i'm going for a little more speed/whatever i can improve on the max that needs improving. i don't need to impress anyone but ME, so the rims and all can stay (i do like the clear sides however). i just want to make it run as good as possible. long post. sorry
1. Technically, intake will not affect your gas milage, *but*, since the intake makes tha awsome sound when you push your car over 4k rpm, it probably will affect the gas milage. You just can't help it. Seriously tho, if you don't push the car, it won't be a problem.

a. http://www.custommaxima.com/5thGenBumperLights.php
b. http://store.yahoo.com/southwestauto...ismaxclea.html
c. ebay (not recommended)
Old 04-29-2004, 06:37 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
In my view any type of 3-step process will really help your paint stay nice.
1) Paint cleaner + elbow greese takes all of the stains, water marks & chalkiness out of the surface of the paint.
2) Polish this is what makes the paint shine mostly by adding back chemicals to the paint itself.
3) Wax this is what protects all of the work that you just did.

Mr.Peabody

thats what i do once a month. i use the meguire's three step
Old 05-01-2004, 04:31 PM
OG and counting...

Steve,

Detailing and modding have one thing in common. Both are based on the goals you are trying to achieve.

There is a dizzying array of products for detailing and cleaning your car. However, each of us has our own preferences for what we use because we all know what we want to achieve.

With that said, you skipped a few steps in the process.

a) Claying - This is a vital step because it gets rid of a lot of embedded contaminants in the paint and will remove certain other stains (e.g. tar) that soap won't get off.

b) Polishing - The polishing step removes oxidation and various other imperfections. This is a step that many people have to be careful of because many polishes are harsh enough to leave a haze if you are not careful. Before you go out and buy a polish, look at your finish carefully to determine the kind of polish you may need. For some mildly swirled finishes, you may need something mild like Einszett's Metallic Polish or Meguiar's #9 Swirl Mark Remover.

Wax is always the final step.