Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Picked up a Dewalt Polisher...looking for tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Picked up a Dewalt Polisher...looking for tips

I picked up a Dewalt DW849 Variable Speed Polisher the other day. Ive done all my detailing by hand up till now and I got a great price on this thing so I decided to pick it up and give it a try. Its a high speed rotary machine and I know most people go with random orbital polishers because they are considered fool proof and there is less of a chance to burn the paint. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone has used this unit or if anyone has any tips for me. My buddy who works at a body shop gave me a little lesson the other day and we buffed out a couple scratches on his hood and it came out really nice. I got a few different pads for it and some 3M detail compound and detail polish. My buddy is probably gonna give me another lesson how to use it this weekend not on the max just yet tho, I still want to get used to it and will probably practice on a couple of my fathers company vans and some buddies beater cars. Any tips or experience are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Steve
Old 07-21-2004, 07:40 PM
mjg

just a caution.

If you do not know how to use that thing, you will ruin your paint. That isn't for a hobbyist, and if you ever noticed a car that wasn't detailed properly with a rotary, the damage is permanent. It's cool your buddy's teaching you, i wish i had that luxury. For now i'll stick with my porter cable orbital.

If you want to learn, suggest you practice on some crappy car or something(like you seem to be doing already). I wouldn't never get into something of that sort without doing my homework.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:43 PM
OG and counting...

Rotary Usage