Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Best way to clean really dirty rims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 01:31 PM

Best way to clean really dirty rims?

I have 2k1 16" rims which are really dirty and havent cleaned it in last 2 or so years. It has lots for brake dust and other junk stuck to it. Whats the best product i can use to apply on rims to make it look newer? thanx in advance
Old 04-27-2005, 09:03 PM

as u see many people have seen ur topic but none have replied...its cause...u didnt care to look 10 threads down..(i dont know if its 10 but its for sure down there...3 of them, 1 even started by me)...

anyways...

i also havent cleaned it in past 2 years...but i suggest u do this...

if ur gonna wash ur car and clay bar it...clay it while ur at it...

if that doesnt work...and ur still done...use an all purpose cleaner...(not sure how to use it so use at ur own risk)...

if that doesnt work...(first get a polish...black magic wheel polish)....use that

if that doesnt work...use 'wheel wax' www.wheelwax.com some guy on the .org is advertising like heck with this stuff...and its pretty cheap...so i said id try it out...

now ur wheels are for sure clean...and u should now have a hose on/hose off product wheel cleaner to prevent...and then every once in a while use the wheel wax to add protectant on it...and ull never have to go through that process again
this should have done it...

IF none of this works...

look at the thread of 'curb rash'...u can end up sanding ur rims...it will remove the clearcoat on them...but word on the street in that thread is u dont need it...besides...u would have added 3 layers of polish+wax...so ull be safe anyways...im tackling ur problem next weekend when i get the money...im buying even more stuff like for the regular wash...

(side note: the stuff i said..ur looking at MAX 20+20+5+10=55 canadian dollars ...or 40 american or something...anyways...its worth it...and those products will last forever.....litereally..

credits: to all the others who were too lazy to repost here cause they answered my questions before and others...if i got something wrong, dont be afraid to correct me

edit: also this should be in tires or wheels