Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Paint Chips

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 04:05 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Paint Chips

Okay, I just got back off vacation. Took the Max up and down I-95 a couple of times. Now I have what seems like an excessive amount of paint chips just from the drive. When I washed the car yesterday, I almost wanted to cry. The ones that surprised me were the chips to the roof near my Sirius antenna, left rear door, and left c-pillar. I was careful not to drive behind trucks and didn't go through any especially bad construction zones. I just don't get it. The chips only go down to the primer thankfully enough. It seems like this car chips easier than my 5th gen ever did.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:09 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

no **** huh... I don't have but 2 chips, one on the hood and a small dent on my passenger rear door and it bothers me like a motherf**ker.... looks like a paint job boone..
Old 06-06-2005, 04:52 PM

Chips all over my hood, I think I actually did cry when i seen it. Now I got a little rust the size of a pebble on the corner of my headlight. Anyone one know how I can get rid of this rust?? But my 5th gen was just as bad maybe even worst.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:56 PM

Ditto to both of you. My question is Do you touch these spots up to prevent the paint from chipping further?

I have at least 3 chipped spots. Although it has been a few weeks since I have waxed or washed personally so there maybe more.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Roshan

well try to get the rust off with sum sand paper ONLY in the area of the rust.. or buy body rust remover from bondo and used that.. then go to the dealer ship and get sum touch up paint.. looks good as new...i had driven behind a bump truck in traffic on 495 and a rock fell and hit the grill.. then the hood.. and then the windshield... chipped the windshield and just a scratch on the hood... but touch up paint and that rust removed with sand paper did the job

Old 06-06-2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by brewboy13
Ditto to both of you. My question is Do you touch these spots up to prevent the paint from chipping further?

I have at least 3 chipped spots. Although it has been a few weeks since I have waxed or washed personally so there maybe more.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the chip will get bigger.. if you want you can wet sand the rust spot and then touch it up so the rust won't get worse..
Old 06-06-2005, 05:16 PM

I'll have to check out the touch up paint. I'll also talk to the guys at the body shop to see what they can do.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:22 PM

remember that touch up is not a permanent solution, and most of the time don't match exacly........

I would look into painting the whole bumper or hood BOONE......
Old 06-06-2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
remember that touch up is not a permanent solution, and most of the time don't match exacly........

I would look into painting the whole bumper or hood BOONE......
Oh, I'll absolutely have to get the hood repainted. I don't trust myself enough at applying the touch up to do otherwise. As you said, it's just a temp fix. I'll use the touch up on the less easily seen chips like the roof.

The funny thing is that the bumper doesn't have any chips. Does anyone know if they use additional flex agent in the paint that goes on the bumpers or is it all the same stuff?
Old 06-06-2005, 05:42 PM

well the bumpers are designed to take a hit, maybe the rocks are just simply bouncing off the plastic vs hitting straight metal on the hood...

I'm pretty sure is the same paint all around...
Old 06-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My cars name is Chip. I bought the touch up paint. I'm on construction sites all day.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:30 PM

I've counted so many chips in my hood that it makes me sick. I bought some touch up paint a while back, but it's very very hard to apply that stuff without it looking like ***. Everytime I wash, I can see the little spots where I applied the paint (they stand out quite a bit).
Old 06-09-2005, 06:58 AM

Isn't there a way you can use the paint so that it is as close as possible to the rest of your car? I thought I saw a thread here like a week ago that gave a "How To" on how to do that but I can't find it now...
Old 06-09-2005, 06:58 PM

The paint on bumpers is actually thinner than anywhere else on the car. If you wanna apply touchup paint to small chips, I just bought some nissan paint and used a toothpick to dab it in the paint and then dab it in the chip.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:50 PM

I have put PPF on my car. This is the way to go to keep those rock chip away
Old 06-09-2005, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by toodark
I have put PPF on my car. This is the way to go to keep those rock chip away
What is PPF?
Old 06-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, this is the perfect thread for me. I just royally screwed up. Had a few chips and got touch-up paint at the dealer yesterday. Did a couple of them pretty good, but one of them I really f**ed up. And, of course, when I realized it looked like crap, I tried to fix it and now it looks worse. We are only talking about 1/4 to 1/2 inch section on the front driver quarter panel, but it's ALL I can see now. So, what to do now? Do I need to go to a body shop and get it buffed smooth, redone, what??

Jane
Old 06-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by missjane
Well, this is the perfect thread for me. I just royally screwed up. Had a few chips and got touch-up paint at the dealer yesterday. Did a couple of them pretty good, but one of them I really f**ed up. And, of course, when I realized it looked like crap, I tried to fix it and now it looks worse. We are only talking about 1/4 to 1/2 inch section on the front driver quarter panel, but it's ALL I can see now. So, what to do now? Do I need to go to a body shop and get it buffed smooth, redone, what??

Jane
Try buffing it smooth with Langka's blob remover. I've been going at my chips with touch up (using a toothpick and a small brush they provided me with), letting it dry, then wiping the "blob" down with the remover. It works really well. Even worked great on super old blobs that were there when the previous owner tried to touch it up.

I say try that first before consulting a body shop. Could save you some serious cheddar!

Langka
Old 06-21-2005, 07:53 PM

We are only talking about 1/4 to 1/2 inch section on the front driver quarter panel, but it's ALL I can see now.
i hate when that happens. when i first got my car, i accidentally made a tiny scratch on the surface and whenever someone says, "hey, i like your car," the only thing i can reply with is, "but what about that scratch right there! are you blind? can't you see it?" :P
to this day, i know the exact locations of all the scratches i've made (including the tiny scratches i make when my hands slip off the steering wheel and my fingernail scrapes across the leather.)
I've been going at my chips with touch up (using a toothpick and a small brush they provided me with), letting it dry, then wiping the "blob" down with the remover. It works really well.
does the touch up that you use make the chipped area "whole" again? i noticed i have a few chips where microscopic pieces/chunks are missing. will the langka fill in the area?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:28 AM

I used touch up paint with Langka and didnt work...when you go to remove the blob, it would scratch the paint around the blob you made. I have SOo many chips on my hood

I went yesterday for a price on Painting the hood.. $500 for Fenders and Hood to be done

-matt
Old 06-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

does the touch up that you use make the chipped area "whole" again? i noticed i have a few chips where microscopic pieces/chunks are missing. will the langka fill in the area?[/QUOTE]

The Langka doesn't fill it in, you do by filling in the chips using your touch up paint. Depending on how deep it is, you may have to put 2-4 coats in it. Don't worry about putting too much in (thus creating the blob), because the Langka (a cream like compound) will smooth it down to the outline of the chip, creating a filled in look. When I do it, I wrap a cotton cloth around my index finger so I can feel how far I want the blob to be smoothed down.

QUOTE=matty]I used touch up paint with Langka and didnt work...when you go to remove the blob, it would scratch the paint around the blob you made.

-matt[/QUOTE]

Fortunatley, I never experienced anything like that. It actually shined up the spot where I used it. Did you wash you car & use a clean cotton cloth before you did it? Perhaps there were some abrasive foriegn particles present on the paint or in the towel that may have caused that to happen. Sorry to hear about that though.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Roshan
well try to get the rust off with sum sand paper ONLY in the area of the rust.. or buy body rust remover from bondo and used that.. then go to the dealer ship and get sum touch up paint.. looks good as new...i had driven behind a bump truck in traffic on 495 and a rock fell and hit the grill.. then the hood.. and then the windshield... chipped the windshield and just a scratch on the hood... but touch up paint and that rust removed with sand paper did the job
Sandpaper the paint? This guy should remain for suggesting this for a 2 year old car.

At most use some Rubbing compound, it will take the rust right off.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:57 AM

I have a small rust spot forming on my rear driver side door from a small chip. So I should hit it with some rubbing compound and then dab with touch up paont? Let me know...this very small spot is killing me.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:43 PM

I suck at life. When I had a white car, and got a chip black showed through. Now i have a black one and my hood is white underneath. I dont think i'll ever win.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by JayMAX22
I have a small rust spot forming on my rear driver side door from a small chip. So I should hit it with some rubbing compound and then dab with touch up paont? Let me know...this very small spot is killing me.
Try finding a sanding pen. It can be quite exacting if the tip is small enough. When I got the Langka kit, I also purchased the sanding pen for doing up my rusting chips. Seemed to work pretty well. It's tough to do the small ones with, but it cleaned up the medium to large ones pretty good. Then I used the cleaner, added some touch up, rubbed it down, then sealed it.

I'm curious to see how it will hold up.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
QUOTE=matty]I used touch up paint with Langka and didnt work...when you go to remove the blob, it would scratch the paint around the blob you made.

-matt
Fortunatley, I never experienced anything like that. It actually shined up the spot where I used it. Did you wash you car & use a clean cotton cloth before you did it? Perhaps there were some abrasive foriegn particles present on the paint or in the towel that may have caused that to happen. Sorry to hear about that though.[/QUOTE]

No there was nothing around the area...the car was washed before hand...

The thing is, that Lanka is a very abrasive product so when you go to do the area, it ruins the area around the place where you put the Touch Up paint. In other words when you try to do the area, you winde up doing the area around it and making all little scratches trying to get the touch up paint even with the paint...

I got a quote on the hood and fenders for $500 from the body shop i go to near my house...the buy that owned my car before me must have done some off roading in his spare time

-matt
Old 07-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Hm. I hope I don't have a similar experience with it. I've done about 6 chips with it so far with good results, but I'll certainly let folks know if It does indeed roast my paint.

I need to do my hood and fenders too. $500 doesn't sound too bad. Unfortuately I'm thinking I'll need to get a new hood altogether first, then get it all painted and feathered in. My previous owner musta been Bo or Luke Duke or something cause other than being riddled with chips, it seems like someone may have sat or slid across the hood. It's fairly faint, but at the right angle, it looks absolutely dreadful. Maybe Tawny Kitaen owned it before me.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:07 PM
wat

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
Hm. I hope I don't have a similar experience with it. I've done about 6 chips with it so far with good results, but I'll certainly let folks know if It does indeed roast my paint.

I need to do my hood and fenders too. $500 doesn't sound too bad. Unfortuately I'm thinking I'll need to get a new hood altogether first, then get it all painted and feathered in. My previous owner musta been Bo or Luke Duke or something cause other than being riddled with chips, it seems like someone may have sat or slid across the hood. It's fairly faint, but at the right angle, it looks absolutely dreadful. Maybe Tawny Kitaen owned it before me.
You and me both. My hood was poorly taken care of aswell. Almost seems like the previous owner hit someone, which caused the body to tumble across the hood and paid to have it fixed by a cheap body shop, because at certain angles, you can see the shallow dents.