Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

B-pillar Vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Bacon Lover

B-pillar Vinyl

What can I do to make this look new again? It's very sun-faded and what not. I don't want my B-pillars to be body-color, so what can I do to make them look newer? (short of moving all the weatherstripping and doing a cruddy job replacing all of it)
Old 10-03-2005, 08:33 PM

There's a product (I think Meguires?) called Back to Black. I haven't tried it myself but it may help.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:37 AM
Bacon Lover

I've seen it used for wheel wells and what not. Maybe I'll give it a try...can't hurt. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:55 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

303 is all you need but if the pillars are badly faded you'll have to replace the vinyl. REplacing the vinyl isn't too hard, you just have to be careful not to bend the moldings. I also would NOT peel the old vinyl...it was a LOT of trouble to get it smooth enough to lay the new vinyl down on. I did one and then for the other three I just stuck it over the old vinyl after cleaning the surface with Acetone to get any grease off.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by endus
303 is all you need but if the pillars are badly faded you'll have to replace the vinyl. REplacing the vinyl isn't too hard, you just have to be careful not to bend the moldings. I also would NOT peel the old vinyl...it was a LOT of trouble to get it smooth enough to lay the new vinyl down on. I did one and then for the other three I just stuck it over the old vinyl after cleaning the surface with Acetone to get any grease off.
You mean Meguire's 303?

Assuming I do need to replace the vinyl...where do I get replacement vinyl? I've never even seen black vinyl tape in most stores I've been in, let alone in the shape of our B-pillars...
Old 10-04-2005, 10:59 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by Tatanko
You mean Meguire's 303?
No, just 303...

http://www.303products.com/main.php

Best stuff for vinyl ever. Use it on yuour dash too.

Assuming I do need to replace the vinyl...where do I get replacement vinyl? I've never even seen black vinyl tape in most stores I've been in, let alone in the shape of our B-pillars...
You can buy it from a sign shop and cut it yourself, or just order pre cut pieces from the dealer. I was dreading having to do the sign shop thing, and I just happened to ask at the dealer and it turns out they can get the vinyl all pre cut for you...all nissan branded stuff.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:40 PM

303 aerospace protectant you can get it from R&S strauss. they usually have it really cheap only place that ive known to sell it besides online
Old 10-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Bacon Lover

No, just 303...

http://www.303products.com/main.php

Best stuff for vinyl ever. Use it on yuour dash too.
I don't see anything for vinyl listed on their site
You can buy it from a sign shop and cut it yourself, or just order pre cut pieces from the dealer. I was dreading having to do the sign shop thing, and I just happened to ask at the dealer and it turns out they can get the vinyl all pre cut for you...all nissan branded stuff.
Great...my nearest dealer is 30+ minutes away I also don't have one of those R&S stores...
Old 10-04-2005, 01:01 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

I don't see anything for vinyl listed on their site
http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

You can get it from almost any online detailing place.

Great...my nearest dealer is 30+ minutes away I also don't have one of those R&S stores...
So order it from Courtesy or do the sign shop thing then...
Old 10-04-2005, 01:07 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by Northern Maxima
There's a product (I think Meguires?) called Back to Black. I haven't tried it myself but it may help.
I used it on my 02 maxima and,

this stuff sucks.... you have to keep applying this over and over again.. once it dries the peice you put it on turns white, like its dry as hell... it makes the peice black yes for awhile, then it dries real ugly...

once you use it you will have to keep using it... not a permanent solution..