Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Waxing nightmare...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 02:58 PM

Waxing nightmare...

The other day, I washed the max, dried her off and pulled her into the garage to let the paint cool for the polish. I had just purchased some Turtle Wax polish that was "formulated to remove light scratches and restore the paint to original condition." I've got a new 10" orbital buffer and was itching to try it out. I proceeded to apply the polish to the entire car and then go back and buff out the scratches, etc, etc. To my surprise, the polish would not come off w/o giving it some serious f-in elbow grease. It was dry, but was looking dull as hell when it was removed. I finally said F-this and pulled her back into the driveway and got it wet again to get this crap off. Once again, the car was dried and pulled back in to redo it. This time, I used the trusty Maguiar's polish and had no problems. I threw the Turtle Wax as hard as I could into the trash, and after cussing the MF'er a dozen or so times, dug it back out and read the instructions for the 2nd time. It says to apply to one area at a time then wipe before it has a chance to fully dry. I'm a dipsh**!! What was a solid hour was now the whole afternoon!!! Oh well, at least I got away from the wife for a few!!! Lesson learned!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:43 PM
OG and counting...

Given that you are in Texas, doing one section at a time is the best approach because Grey Lustre will dry out polishes and waxes quickly on a warm day since it is a fairly dark color.

Case in point, here is a pic of my '02 after I spent a significant amount of time doing an exterior detail on it and washing a black '00 SE on a nearly 90 degree day in Chicago.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gapp
The other day, I washed the max, dried her off and pulled her into the garage to let the paint cool for the polish. I had just purchased some Turtle Wax polish that was "formulated to remove light scratches and restore the paint to original condition." I've got a new 10" orbital buffer and was itching to try it out. I proceeded to apply the polish to the entire car and then go back and buff out the scratches, etc, etc. To my surprise, the polish would not come off w/o giving it some serious f-in elbow grease. It was dry, but was looking dull as hell when it was removed. I finally said F-this and pulled her back into the driveway and got it wet again to get this crap off. Once again, the car was dried and pulled back in to redo it. This time, I used the trusty Maguiar's polish and had no problems. I threw the Turtle Wax as hard as I could into the trash, and after cussing the MF'er a dozen or so times, dug it back out and read the instructions for the 2nd time. It says to apply to one area at a time then wipe before it has a chance to fully dry. I'm a dipsh**!! What was a solid hour was now the whole afternoon!!! Oh well, at least I got away from the wife for a few!!! Lesson learned!
EXCELLENT Story! it's stuff like this i love to read because it doesn't make me feel so bad when i do crazy sh|t like that! (or as i'm sure most of us have done at some point)

HUH! who said we need to read the instruction!

made me laugh... heheh
Old 03-10-2006, 02:57 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Turtle wax products - FTL.

There are many, many better products available.