Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Keeping the "matte" look of new leather. Is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:52 PM

Keeping the "matte" look of new leather. Is this possible?

Hey guys. I've been playing around in the detailing forum here for about a half hour now. I bought my Max about 4 months ago (first new car ever) and I want to keep it looking that way.

I plan to give it a good wash/wax this weekend (I know, should have done it sooner) and I was curious about what products I should be using.

First off, I have the lovely frost interior. I love it, but my driver's seat already shows the dirt. I want to clean it, but I also want to preserve the matte look. I don't want my leather to get all shiny and what not. This is probably inevitable though. What should I be using to clean the leather? I see everyone talking about the Magic Erasers, and referring to a write-up, but I can't seem to find this write-up.

Second, what should I take to the exterior? Being that it's new, a whole clay bar regimen shouldn't be necessary, right?

Any thoughts/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by tehaviator
Hey guys. I've been playing around in the detailing forum here for about a half hour now. I bought my Max about 4 months ago (first new car ever) and I want to keep it looking that way.

I plan to give it a good wash/wax this weekend (I know, should have done it sooner) and I was curious about what products I should be using.

First off, I have the lovely frost interior. I love it, but my driver's seat already shows the dirt. I want to clean it, but I also want to preserve the matte look. I don't want my leather to get all shiny and what not. This is probably inevitable though. What should I be using to clean the leather? I see everyone talking about the Magic Erasers, and referring to a write-up, but I can't seem to find this write-up.

Second, what should I take to the exterior? Being that it's new, a whole clay bar regimen shouldn't be necessary, right?

Any thoughts/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Leather should be maintained (being the key word) by using a ph balanced leather cleaner (I have found Lexol, Zymol, and Meguiar's 2 step system to be best. Meguiar's would have to be my absolute favorite for maintaince with Zymol and Lexol in second. Leatherique is also very good! Then just apply a conditioner. Again, I love Meguiar's the best. Best smell and feel for their two step in the maintenance standpoint. Do this at least every 6 months.

Exterior care is also all about maintenance as I am sure you know. Do nothing outside of washing your car for the first 30-60 days to allow proper cure time. After that, and especially if the factory did a complimentory buffer job, I would do a cleaner/polish job to remove any imperfections, add in a glaze if you feel needed, and then Wax.

Put your finger in a plastic baggy, rub it across your paint after you wash it. If you feel anything, then yes, clay it, otherwise, you should be ok.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf-Strong
Leather should be maintained (being the key word) by using a ph balanced leather cleaner (I have found Lexol, Zymol, and Meguiar's 2 step system to be best. Meguiar's would have to be my absolute favorite for maintaince with Zymol and Lexol in second. Leatherique is also very good! Then just apply a conditioner. Again, I love Meguiar's the best. Best smell and feel for their two step in the maintenance standpoint. Do this at least every 6 months.

Exterior care is also all about maintenance as I am sure you know. Do nothing outside of washing your car for the first 30-60 days to allow proper cure time. After that, and especially if the factory did a complimentory buffer job, I would do a cleaner/polish job to remove any imperfections, add in a glaze if you feel needed, and then Wax.

Put your finger in a plastic baggy, rub it across your paint after you wash it. If you feel anything, then yes, clay it, otherwise, you should be ok.
Awesome. Thanks for your input. I'll take a look at the Meguiars leather cleaner.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:28 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

lexol leather cleaner and conditioner does a good job keeping it fresh and matte ...
Old 04-05-2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by nadir_s
lexol leather cleaner and conditioner does a good job keeping it fresh and matte ...
THAT'S the answer I was looking for. Thank you, sir.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by tehaviator
THAT'S the answer I was looking for. Thank you, sir.
(shrugs) yeah they do, and so do Meguiar's. I just think Meguiar's does the best job at cleaning/taking care of the leather without leaving that shiny coating you would normally relate to an Armor-all product
Old 04-05-2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf-Strong
(shrugs) yeah they do, and so do Meguiar's. I just think Meguiar's does the best job at cleaning/taking care of the leather without leaving that shiny coating you would normally relate to an Armor-all product
I'm so easily swayed. MEGUIARS it is!!!! seriously
Old 04-06-2007, 10:49 AM
I Broke OT

i've used the Lexol cleaner and conditioner. two seperate bottles. works great. i'll have to apply a second treatment of the conditioner as the leather is nearly 10 years old and can be a bit softer, but the Lexol so far has definitely brought the leather back from where it was.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:22 PM

I've been using Meg's 2-step leather products and they seem to do a great job. If you apply it with a terry/microfiber applicator, let it sit for a short while & then buff clean with a microfiber or cotton towel, you'll see good matte finish. Leaves your seats squeaky clean and conditioned.

I've also heard alot of good things about Lexol products, but haven't had the opportunity to try them. I'm sure the Zaino fanboys will chime in any minute.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:26 PM

I've used the lexol and meguires products and prefer the meguires slightly,and it smells better.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:24 AM

I use 3M cleaner/conditioner/preserver. Leaves the leather a little shiny for a few days but it does a great job.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Toolie

zaino leather in a bottle will keep the matte finish as well. and it will smell like leather again too.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:04 PM
SHIFT_In2D

I also use Meguires Leather cleaner/conditioner. The seats are always soft afterwards, and if you wipe the excess after letting it sit it'll still leave a matte finish.

Also I always get compliments, that it smells good.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 AM

Is there any conditioner/cleaner formulated specifically for black leather? I got a bottle of Meguiar's Gold Class and it kinda bleached my leather to a lighter color. Luckily I tried it on the side of the rear bench so it couldn't be seen. I asked the dealership guy and he suggested me to damp the towel first, but result was the same.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:23 AM
SHIFT_In2D

That's odd...I have black leather and use the Meguires Gold Class leather conditioner, haven't seen that happen.

I guess your best bet would be to use the Lexol cleaner. I mean they sell it at the dealership so maybe it's recommended. Good luck!