Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Annual summer-prep this Friday...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Annual summer-prep this Friday...

Throughout the summer I tend to wash my car once every two weeks and apply a quick spray wax/detailer to get it to shine. However, the first wash of the summer is always the more involved detailing session, and this year, I'm planning on doing things a little bit different than I have in the past. Because I have never done this before and I do not own any buffer/orbital tools, I was hoping to get some feedback on the process I am planning on undergoing.

So here is the plan:

1.) Wash the car with dish soap to remove all old wax.
2.) Using a spray bottle with a soapy (dish detergent) water mix, spray a section of the car, and run over it with a claybar to remove contaminants from the paint. Repeat on all sections of the car so that the paint is smooth.
3.) Wash the car with the dish soap again (is this appropriate? Maybe a standard car wash is better at this point?) to remove any bits of clay or left over lubricant, apply wheel cleaner, rinse thoroughly and dry with 100% cotton towels
4.) Use Meguiars Paint Cleaner on each section of the car.
5.) Use Meguiars Car Polish on each section of the car, applying to the section and the rubbing off with 100% cotten towel or Terry Cloth.
6.) Apply one coat of Permaseal Sealant/glaze to the car with foam applicator and removing by 100% cotten towel. (This product also contains a Carnuba Wax)
7.) Apply one coat of Meguiars Gold Class car wax.
8.) call it a day.

Any thoughts? Anything I should add? Something I should change?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 AM

For step three, make sure you're not using the same car brush after you've clayed as before. You're bound to get clay bits and residue in it and that's not good for your next wash. I don't think the soap matters. Dish soap might get the clay off better than a car wash detergent would, but it's not absolutely necessary.

I've used steps 4 and 5 by hand, specifically the products you mentioned, and didn't notice a thing. Personally, I wouldn't bother with them.

I'm not sure on your order as far as 6-7 or 7-6. I've never used a sealant, so maybe someone else can jump in here.

Apart from that, add a cold beverage of your choice to step 8
Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by jlars205
Apart from that, add a cold beverage of your choice to step 8
Duly noted

Appreciate all your feedback, thanks!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 PM

Theres no reason to use dish soap, just use whatever car soap you normally use

And its fine to use the same mitt you used for the first wash. Clay doesnt leave behind bits, you will only be washing off residue.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by rsly33
Theres no reason to use dish soap, just use whatever car soap you normally use

Dish soap is pretty harsh, and in time, can dry out your rubber trim pieces a lot quicker than normal car wash soap. All old wax will be removed when you use your cleaner and polish anyways, so like rsly33 stated, no need.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by VTonmymind

Dish soap is pretty harsh, and in time, can dry out your rubber trim pieces a lot quicker than normal car wash soap. All old wax will be removed when you use your cleaner and polish anyways, so like rsly33 stated, no need.
I thought the old car wax had to be removed for the clay bar?

Most everything I read in the stickies and in search said to wash with dish soap to remove wax, then claybar...

Although those threads are 3 years old... has this changed?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by Rydicule
I thought the old car wax had to be removed for the clay bar?

Most everything I read in the stickies and in search said to wash with dish soap to remove wax, then claybar...

Although those threads are 3 years old... has this changed?
Don't know if peoples opinions have changed since then, but it's my personal preference not to use dish soap, for it can bleach and dry out your rubber trim faster, specially your wind deflector and rear windshield rubber.

The remaining wax that may be on your car (which might not be a lot anyways if it's been a while since you've last waxed) will not hinder the effectiveness of the clay bar, so "having" to remove it is not essential. Also, what your clay bar doesn't remove, your compounds and polishes will, including old wax. If you feel like you have to use dish soap by all means, your car won't crinkle up and wither away, but in time, your trim might not be so pleased if you pound on it with dish soap all the time.

To give you an idea of what I do to my car every spring or fall, I:
1. Wash (w/ Meguair's Gold Class car wash)
2. Clay using a detailing spray for my lubricant
3. Wash again
4. Compound (with Menzerna Power Gloss or Intensive Polish depending on need)
5. Polish (with Menzerna Final Polish)
6. Seal (with Klasse AIO)
7. Wax (with Poorboys Natty's Blue)
8. Admire for 5 seconds and watch in a horror as a Terradactyl drops a monster turd on it
9. Kill self

Honestly, it's quite a grind, but a nice day, with some tunes, a pile of fresh mico towels and a cooler of beer by my side, I have a pretty good time doing it. For me anyways, detailing is all about safely experimenting and finding techniques and products that I'm comfortable with and make my car all spiffy and shyt. Theres nothing like sitting back and looking at it afterward, and going damn, that looks nice. Anyway........Experiment, try the dish soap this spring if you like, then try a regular car soap this coming fall to personally see if there is any difference or if you prefer one or the other.

Have fun, and if you have any questions, use this forum cause these guys are dag gum good and knowledgeable.

Oh and a thumbs up to Farmington, my aunt lives there.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:38 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
Don't know if peoples opinions have changed since then, but it's my personal preference not to use dish soap, for it can bleach and dry out your rubber trim faster, specially your wind deflector and rear windshield rubber.

The remaining wax that may be on your car (which might not be a lot anyways if it's been a while since you've last waxed) will not hinder the effectiveness of the clay bar, so "having" to remove it is not essential. Also, what your clay bar doesn't remove, your compounds and polishes will, including old wax. If you feel like you have to use dish soap by all means, your car won't crinkle up and wither away, but in time, your trim might not be so pleased if you pound on it with dish soap all the time.

To give you an idea of what I do to my car every spring or fall, I:
1. Wash (w/ Meguair's Gold Class car wash)
2. Clay using a detailing spray for my lubricant
3. Wash again
4. Compound (with Menzerna Power Gloss or Intensive Polish depending on need)
5. Polish (with Menzerna Final Polish)
6. Seal (with Klasse AIO)
7. Wax (with Poorboys Natty's Blue)
8. Admire for 5 seconds and watch in a horror as a Terradactyl drops a monster turd on it
9. Kill self

Honestly, it's quite a grind, but a nice day, with some tunes, a pile of fresh mico towels and a cooler of beer by my side, I have a pretty good time doing it. For me anyways, detailing is all about safely experimenting and finding techniques and products that I'm comfortable with and make my car all spiffy and shyt. Theres nothing like sitting back and looking at it afterward, and going damn, that looks nice. Anyway........Experiment, try the dish soap this spring if you like, then try a regular car soap this coming fall to personally see if there is any difference or if you prefer one or the other.

Have fun, and if you have any questions, use this forum cause these guys are dag gum good and knowledgeable.

Oh and a thumbs up to Farmington, my aunt lives there.

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated! I like the idea of trying different techniques, I think since this is the first time I am doing the claybar, I will use the dish soap (also because it was waxed religiously throughout the winter) and see how things turn out. I don't have a windflector, so that's not a concern, but I do not want to see the rubber seals start to crack. Either way, this is the first time they will see this treatment, and I'll see if it makes any difference in the fall with regular carwash soap. Absolutely brilliant idea on your part, appreciate it.

Also, I agree with you on the work part. It is a lot of labor, but tomorrow the forcast is about 55 and partly cloudy, which to me is the best weather to do this. Nice and cool (but not cold). Already have a 12-pack lined up (I may be working on two cars, not sure). Going out today to purchase the supplies, as the ones I already have are either 2+ years old or low enough to run out during the process. I'm excited for it though, I actually have a lot of fun doing this.

Again, appreciate the feedback!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

No problem bud. Have fun this weekend and may all the birds that fly over your car have empty bowels!