Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Fogged up Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:17 AM

Fogged up Headlight

OK...So I just bought these brand new Black housing Headlights with Halos for my I30 and I had the body shop put them in since I was getting a new free bumper painted and installed. I told them to seal them up good so no water could get ann leak in. Well, they were perfectly fine until I noticed that they never switched the stock bulbs to amber so now they blink halogen white/yellow. So in hopes to not only avoid getting pulled over, I also wanted to make it amber for look-wise as well as to match the rears.

Well, of course I was switching them at night in a slight drizzle and I couldn't get the bulb out it was stuck by some super black gooey ****. Dummy me, not even thinking that these are BRAND NEW there should be no build up, well that's exactly what I thought it was just old corroted build up so I tugged hard and ripped it out. Soon as I did that, I thought "Oh crap! That was the seal!" I was so pissed and upset that I didn't even end up puttin the chrome-amber bulbs in and yes, next morning it was fogged up.

How should I get out the moisture completely? Would an air gun work fine or would a blow dryer (something that produces some heat instead of just plain air) be better? Also, once I get it all out what can I use that would be just as good as the body shops stuff to seal it back up? My other side is still perfectly fine til this day, because atleast I was smart enough to not rip out both...
Old 05-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Suspension Yoda

Bring it into the house to let it dry up. Hair dryer would speed up the process.

Some silicone sealant in a tube would be just fine.