Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Detailing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 AM
OG and counting...

Originally Posted by endus
Yeaaaa...I just don't like the rotary because it's so tiring to use and so easy to burn your paint. Flat panels are easy enough but getting the swirls out of door moldings and off the trunk lid near the spoiler is a nightmare without ****ing up and burning an edge.
They are tough to handle dependent on the car. Maximas aren't too bad.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:29 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by BlueC
What was your heaviest polish?

For rough surfaces, I usually start out right away with a Rubbing Compound on speed 6, on a cutting foam pad. I haven't had any issues with this method.
DACP was probably the heaviest polish I used on it, though I might have tried the Menzerna at some point. It worked, it just took forever. What takes 5 rounds of polishing with the PC took one with the rotary....and that's just swirls. For a clearcoat scratch...forget it!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:30 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
More questions.

I looked in the box and the PC model is a 7401. But I also found a PC flexible backing plate. Looks like a 7" one with the vercro pad.

So it seems I do have one. But have you guys used the PC flexible backing plates w/ your foam pads? Good as any other?

The adaptor the guy is selling is for the random orbital, not for the rotary I have.
I actually have never used a flexible plate. I would imagine it would be nicer than a hard plate...everyone seems to use the flex plates but I just havent bothered replacing mine.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:06 AM
wat

DACP was probably the heaviest polish I used on it, though I might have tried the Menzerna at some point. It worked, it just took forever. What takes 5 rounds of polishing with the PC took one with the rotary....and that's just swirls. For a clearcoat scratch...forget it!
DACP is fairly strong, but I don't rely on those grades of polishes for getting out severe defects.

Like i've said previously, on heavy duty applications, I usually start out with the strongest foam cutting pad and a rubbing compound (3M usually). It's basically liquid sandpaper and works fine with the PC. It'll take swirls out instantly, but I don't rely on RC for swirls since it takes another compound to correct the marring from the RC.

RC -> DACP/Machine Glaze on polishing pad -> wax/sealant

That order works very well on cars with an older hard clear with a lot of defects. Turns the car from old to new in a few passes.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:53 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

DACP is fairly strong, but I don't rely on those grades of polishes for getting out severe defects.

Like i've said previously, on heavy duty applications, I usually start out with the strongest foam cutting pad and a rubbing compound (3M usually). It's basically liquid sandpaper and works fine with the PC. It'll take swirls out instantly, but I don't rely on RC for swirls since it takes another compound to correct the marring from the RC.

RC -> DACP/Machine Glaze on polishing pad -> wax/sealant

That order works very well on cars with an older hard clear with a lot of defects. Turns the car from old to new in a few passes.

Interesting...seems a bit agressive for clearcoat but maybe ill give it a shot. What, specifically, are you talking about in terms of rubbing compound?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:56 AM
wat

Interesting...seems a bit agressive for clearcoat but maybe ill give it a shot. What, specifically, are you talking about in terms of rubbing compound?
3M Rubbing Compound. I've used 3M Perfect-it II RC before (Discontinued I believe), but now im using 3M Rubbing Compound (Medium Cut). It dusts like crazy, but it's aggresive enough to cut swirls out in one pass sometimes.

It's not a one step process obviously, you have to follow up with a semi-agressive compound to smooth out the cutting action of the RC. It's perfectly fine for clear coats, you just don't want to use it when you don't need to, and maybe not so much on new cars since newer cars have fairly soft clears (especially german cars).

Just remember, it's basically a liquid sandpaper, so you only need one or two passes.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm needing a caw

so I have to buy one of these in order to use all the stuff I'm buying from that dude.

Hate to just buy this one thing. Anything else I should add?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so I have to buy one of these in order to use all the stuff I'm buying from that dude.

Hate to just buy this one thing. Anything else I should add?
What all will you have so far and where are you ordering it from?

If they sell Poorboys World stuff I'll split shipping with you
Old 07-18-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm needing a caw

1 each of the orange, green, and white pads, and 2 blue pads as well as brand new bottles of Optimumum: Hyper compound, Compound, Polish, and Poliseal in 32oz sizes. And the adaptor for Random. (which wont' fit my orbital).

I'm ordering from:
http://www.autogeek.net/searchresult...query=poorboys
Old 07-18-2007, 03:00 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

3M Rubbing Compound. I've used 3M Perfect-it II RC before (Discontinued I believe), but now im using 3M Rubbing Compound (Medium Cut). It dusts like crazy, but it's aggresive enough to cut swirls out in one pass sometimes.

It's not a one step process obviously, you have to follow up with a semi-agressive compound to smooth out the cutting action of the RC. It's perfectly fine for clear coats, you just don't want to use it when you don't need to, and maybe not so much on new cars since newer cars have fairly soft clears (especially german cars).

Just remember, it's basically a liquid sandpaper, so you only need one or two passes.
Yea, we'll see. It may be easier to just get better with the rot in the long run. I hate to order more products, because I have a basement FULL of detailing ****. Good tip though!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm needing a caw

Picked up all the stuff yesterday. Pads look brand new. $95 for everything. But I still have to buy the adapor so Gone, speak up.

1 each of the orange, green, and white pads, and 2 blue pads as well as brand new bottles of Optimumum: Hyper compound, Compound, Polish, and Poliseal in 32oz sizes. And the adaptor for Random. (which wont' fit my orbital).

I'm ordering from:
http://www.autogeek.net/searchresult...query=poorboys
Old 07-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Picked up all the stuff yesterday. Pads look brand new. $95 for everything. But I still have to buy the adapor so Gone, speak up.
Sorry I had a ton of studying and computer work I had to do the past few days (still do, but don't have class friday so )

lemme poke around for 30mins or so and try to figure out what I want to get
Old 07-19-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

Just a pic of the stuff I got. The PC on the left is the unit I'm going to run. Odd but it should work. It's WAY quieter than the grinder/polisher I'm using now. **** I have to use ear plugs with my old one.

I broke out the old polisher and threw some Meguires 2 fine cut on the Avalon. Not enough. Put some cleaner wax on it. Not even close. Then I tried some Optimum Hyper compound and that took out as much as I was prepared to do. I think any more and it would become a 3 step process. But I was using a old wool pad. I might try a new wool pad and see what happens.

Judging by what I did, the G might go straight to the polish or compound w/ a fine cut foam pad then polish.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 PM

Nice you got the Edge pads, you will love them. Optimum Polish as well, even better.

Dixit
Old 07-20-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm needing a caw

Thanks. I'm going to use the Porter, install that red backing plate and use one of the wool pads tonight. See if makes a diff

My old grinder is only 4-5amps. The porter is like 8-9 amps and a varible speed control dial.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:35 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Thanks. I'm going to use the Porter, install that red backing plate and use one of the wool pads tonight. See if makes a diff

My old grinder is only 4-5amps. The porter is like 8-9 amps and a varible speed control dial.
Wool pads are superharsh...you'll probably have to follow up to get rid of the marring. IMHO wool's too harsh for clearcoat, but I don't usually work on cars that are really bad.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:40 PM
wat

Wool pads are superharsh...you'll probably have to follow up to get rid of the marring. IMHO wool's too harsh for clearcoat, but I don't usually work on cars that are really bad.
+1

Foam cutting pads typically do more than enough. Wool is only necessary if you're correcting 1500-2000 grit wet sanding marks.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm needing a caw

The Avalon is so bad that yeah, 1500-2000 sanding marks is what's on there. Unless the old POS polisher wasn't doing the job. I'm going to try this powerful Porter unit out and start with a light cut again.

But with the old polisher and the Optimum Hyper/wool, you could still see scratches. And not from the pad/polish.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:46 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

The Avalon is so bad that yeah, 1500-2000 sanding marks is what's on there. Unless the old POS polisher wasn't doing the job. I'm going to try this powerful Porter unit out and start with a light cut again.

But with the old polisher and the Optimum Hyper/wool, you could still see scratches. And not from the pad/polish.
My recommendation would be to start with a foam pad with the harshest polish you have and then crank the speed up. I use real light polish on the maxima and at 1500 rpm you can see the marks coming down if you watch closely.

I'd give that a shot then bust out the wool if you still think you need it...better to go easy and wind up then overdo it.

Just my 2 cents, though, good luck!

Post pics..
Old 07-20-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm needing a caw

I'd use the foam if I had the adaptor. I only have the adaptor for the Random orbital. The right adaptor is on order now.
I also don't have a foam hook/loop pad for the Porter backing plate.

So I'm fuxored for now. But so far the wool hasn't been good enough(at least with the old polisher). I'll see tonight. This is why I'm practicing on dad's avalon. I can see what does what and I bascily can't make Dad's car any worse anyway.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ugh. Only came out okay. No pics though.

Question. why does the wool pad start to hop around? ie.. like it's digging in. Too much material on the pad? Sponge pads do this? How do you clean the wool/sponge pads anyway?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

Gone eta on order?
Old 07-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Lightly modded

Ok, tell me if I put these polishes in the correct category, either fine or harsh.

-Fine-
-Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish- incredibly mild polish- $20
-Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner Polish- $20

-Harsh-
-Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover- $20
-Klasse AIO-$20
-Optimum Polish- $20
-Meguiar's Scratch-X- $8

Did I get that right?

I'm probably going to get the Pinnacle Advanced finishing polish, AIO and possibly Optimum. Are any products known to work well on silver cars?
For wax, I think I'll get some SG and cover it with some S100. Just waiting on a new release of the UDM and I'll be good to go.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:17 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Ok, tell me if I put these polishes in the correct category, either fine or harsh.

-Fine-
-Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish- incredibly mild polish- $20
-Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner Polish- $20

-Harsh-
-Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover- $20
-Klasse AIO-$20
-Optimum Polish- $20
-Meguiar's Scratch-X- $8

Did I get that right?

I'm probably going to get the Pinnacle Advanced finishing polish, AIO and possibly Optimum. Are any products known to work well on silver cars?
For wax, I think I'll get some SG and cover it with some S100. Just waiting on a new release of the UDM and I'll be good to go.
DACP is reasonably harsh and AIO is not a polish at all. AIO is a pre-sealant cleaner. It's not really abrasive, it just cleans oxidation and crap off the paint and prepares it for SG.

Sractch-X is more of a hand polish.

I would use Menzerna FP -> AIO -> SG.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Lightly modded

DACP is reasonably harsh and AIO is not a polish at all. AIO is a pre-sealant cleaner. It's not really abrasive, it just cleans oxidation and crap off the paint and prepares it for SG.

Sractch-X is more of a hand polish.

I would use Menzerna FP -> AIO -> SG.
Ok, I got that completely wrong. Let's try again.
BTW, does the DACP do the same thing as the Scratch-X? What about the Menzerna FP? Is it this stuff?
http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-final-polish.html

Fine
-Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish
-Klasse AIO (but not really a polish)

Harsh
-Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner Polish
-Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover
-Optimum Polish

In addition, I already have Zaino polish and 3m SMR. Are they even worth using?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:37 PM

I think you are confusing cutting compounds with cleaners
Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

Why not stick with one company? ie.. Optimum or Meguires? Why the mix/matching?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:53 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Ok, I got that completely wrong. Let's try again.
BTW, does the DACP do the same thing as the Scratch-X? What about the Menzerna FP? Is it this stuff?
http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-final-polish.html

Fine
-Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish
-Klasse AIO (but not really a polish)

Harsh
-Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner Polish
-Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover
-Optimum Polish

In addition, I already have Zaino polish and 3m SMR. Are they even worth using?
Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with the Pinnacle and Optimum lines, so I don't really know on those. I would trust Pinnacle though...they make THE best wax. I use their clay and wax but not polish. It sounds like the Advanced finishing polish is in the right list, but the swirl remover probably isn't very harsh either.

Scratch-X is more of a hand polish...like if you don't want to apply it with a machine. At least that's what most people seem to use it for.

That is the Menzerna I was talking about. They actually make Final Polish II now, but it's really no different. You'd probably get II if you ordered that...they probably just didn't update the name.

I don't know about the Zaino. I've never really liked them because they tend to label glaze (non abrasive...covers swirls by being oily and temporarily hiding them) as polish. So I would bet that it's not very abrasive.

The 3m stuff is good and worth using. I don't know the specific product, but if it's 3m I would guess it's a bit of a glaze itself, although probably with some abrasive in it too. I was never a big fan...I like polish to be oil free...if i wanna glaze i'll glaze but let me see what the actual condition is before i do it. Tons of people use that stuff and love it though.

If you're not going for super insane autopia-level detailing then something with some oil to help hide swirls is a GOOD thing. There's nothing wrong with using that stuff at all...you just have to realize that it will wear off.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm needing a caw

I noticed that some of the Pinnacle products need a rotary running at some pretty high rpm. I'd check their instructions before buying. ie.. make sure it's for a random or rotary. Even my rotary doesn't run at some of those high rpm values
Old 07-23-2007, 07:57 PM

Gone eta on order?
7/30/2007 ftl
Old 07-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Lightly modded

What are everyones thoughts on the Sonus line of products? I was reading the FAQ on Autopia and the author DavidB lays out their uses pretty clearly, which was really helpful.
http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detai...erfection.html

I would probably get the SFX-1, 2 and 3.
If I get those, I wouldn't need the AIO, would I?

I'm also probably going to buy the UDM. I was originally going to wait until the updates are all out, but I got a discount code on Autopia that is only valid for 3 days, so I want to buy my stuff now.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

I'm sure it's okay. I don't see any sealers on there. The optimium combines a fine polish and sealer in one. That chart should also specify what pad should be used.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:00 PM
OG and counting...

What are everyones thoughts on the Sonus line of products? I was reading the FAQ on Autopia and the author DavidB lays out their uses pretty clearly, which was really helpful.

I'm also probably going to buy the UDM. I was originally going to wait until the updates are all out, but I got a discount code on Autopia that is only valid for 3 days, so I want to buy my stuff now.
I have used them with the DAS pads and the SFX pads. The SFX pads seemed to give better results.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:01 PM
OG and counting...

Question. why does the wool pad start to hop around? ie.. like it's digging in. Too much material on the pad? Sponge pads do this? How do you clean the wool/sponge pads anyway?
Sonus Wunder Wasche+Rotary at 3000 RPM FTW.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 PM
OG and counting...

How much polish did you put on the pad?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

Prinz. I got a set of the Edge pads. But I've read that they don't work well w/ the random orbitals. Have you read anything about these Edge pad having problems with straight rotary polishers?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by PrinzII
How much polish did you put on the pad?
Not a ton. I usually just make a long thin line where I want to polish

How do you clean wool pads anyway?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by PrinzII
I have used them with the DAS pads and the SFX pads. The SFX pads seemed to give better results.
I noticed a lot of people selling their SFX products. Do you think it's worth buying the SFX 1 2 and 3, or do you prefer another line of products? They seem to be priced right, and with the review DavidB did I have a nice outline of how to use them.
Can I use the AIO in addition to the SFX line?

Are you waiting for the updated UDM or are you just gonna return it for updates? I think with this 15% discount I have I should buy it now and worry about updates later...
Thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 04:33 PM

Just read up on different products and see what ones you think you'll like the most. There aren't really any "bests", it just depends.

I personally have been really happy with Optimum and Poorboys stuff. I haven't really had a chance to try much outside of them besides stuff from Meguiars. People seem to be happy with ClearKote. Same with Menzerna. etc.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by MrGone
Just read up on different products and see what ones you think you'll like the most. There aren't really any "bests", it just depends.

I personally have been really happy with Optimum and Poorboys stuff. I haven't really had a chance to try much outside of them besides stuff from Meguiars. People seem to be happy with ClearKote. Same with Menzerna. etc.

Too many products....head is spinning. They are pushing Ultimate, Ultima...I can't tell if they are good products or if they're pushing them because they're sponsors for the site
I don't mind spending a few extra bucks if a product line has a great reputation, but there seems to be a never ending line of products, and without trying each, it's very difficult to decide.

Quick Reply: Detailing question