Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Car Wash Screw Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Wants a real car

Car Wash Screw Up

Haha, Ok, I need some help here

My Friend Saw how My car Looked after I gave it a good 12 hours of detailing and attention. And He wanted to do that to his Jetta. He asked Me what I did, and I told him, well first you have to go out and buy all this stuff. and all the steps etc. And I told him to first use Dish Soap and water to wash out all the old wax or cleaners from his cars finish. now heres the problem. He used Laundry Detergent, *not sure how you mix those up*. So right now his cars finish is like crap. its all cloudy, has white blemishes on it (its a black car btw) and really rough finish. Hes trying to blame it on me. So Im hoping one of the detailing masters on here could give me a hand.

Is there anything I can use to kind of wash off or reverse the effects of the laundry detergent?. Hopefully it didnt strip of any of the clearcoat finish

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:16 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

first off never ever ever ever ever ever ever use dish soap on cars, yes it takes off the wax but it also can dry out the paint causing paint failure down the line, plus it dries out the plastic moldings. Claying a car or using a polish will remove the wax.

Now for you're friend, start by washing the car with a regular car wash so you have a clean surface to work with and dont cause anymore damage. You MIGHT be able to remove it with a clay bar which would be the easiest thing that i am going to suggest. If that doesnt work, try a LIGHT POLISH Meguires #9 to be exact (if your friend washed his car with laundry detergent anything stronger he will prob damage the paint) with the #9 you will apply a small amount to a microfiber and rub a small area to see how it works (put moderate pressure into it)

worst case you'll have to bring the car to a professional detailer, it will cost $$ but people like us can fix almost anything

goodluck
Old 09-17-2007, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by TheKrazyRaven
first off never ever ever ever ever ever ever use dish soap on cars, yes it takes off the wax but it also can dry out the paint causing paint failure down the line, plus it dries out the plastic moldings. Claying a car or using a polish will remove the wax.

Now for you're friend, start by washing the car with a regular car wash so you have a clean surface to work with and dont cause anymore damage. You MIGHT be able to remove it with a clay bar which would be the easiest thing that i am going to suggest. If that doesnt work, try a LIGHT POLISH Meguires #9 to be exact (if your friend washed his car with laundry detergent anything stronger he will prob damage the paint) with the #9 you will apply a small amount to a microfiber and rub a small area to see how it works (put moderate pressure into it)

worst case you'll have to bring the car to a professional detailer, it will cost $$ but people like us can fix almost anything

goodluck
what he said!

You can also try a compound with a yellow pad at about 1,600-1,800 r.p.m. to "cut" and then a swirl remover with a "blue" pad at about 1,200-1,400 r.p.m. to polish the entire thing out.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:50 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
what he said!

You can also try a compound with a yellow pad at about 1,600-1,800 r.p.m. to "cut" and then a swirl remover with a "blue" pad at about 1,200-1,400 r.p.m. to polish the entire thing out.
his friend washed his car with laundry detergent, imagine the next post if he tries to machine polish
Old 09-17-2007, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by TheKrazyRaven
his friend washed his car with laundry detergent, imagine the next post if he tries to machine polish
Maybe they'll accidentally use a "white" cutting pad at 3,000 r.p.m.

OP-Don't mean to bash, just all in good fun
Old 09-17-2007, 05:22 PM

i dont think laundry detergent is strong enough to cause any real damage.....if i were your friend i wouldnt worry about it...just use a polish or a cleaner to remove any old wax and impurities and the laundry detergent residue should come off with it.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Wants a real car

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
what he said!

Did that, worked out, back to a plain old good finish. I think that being a really "soapy" substance (laundry detergent) it probably didnt get all washed of and it dried like that.

I made sure that I didnt the work, so now he cant ***** at anything, his car looks nice and clean now,

however. I wonder what made him think that rubbing, or washing, your car with a grainy, sand like soap would be a good idea. atleast we didnt scratch up his finish
Old 09-17-2007, 07:58 PM

I guess you didnt get any pics of this? Laundry detergent LMAO.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:15 AM

I bet it took off the wax...
Old 09-18-2007, 04:19 AM

wow, and i thought the guy that used all purpose cleaner was stupid. as previously stated, just make sure you use only car wash soap and detailer spray and/or wax.