Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Removing window tint myself

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:49 PM

Removing window tint myself

Yes, I tried to search for this, but didn't find anything specific.

I have a question about removing window tint myself. The tint on my left rear window is peeling upwards (thanks to a former co-worker scraping the handles of his BMX bike on it when I gave him a ride home....). I was thinking about having my work remove it and redo it with my discount, but it's really annoying. What can/should I use to scrape it off? The back window is looking pretty bad too. It's not bubbling, but it just looks discolored is how I can explain it. I wanna get 20% tint all around later, but I wanna remove the current tint for now. One of the techs I work with suggested using a razor blade, but it takes a really long time. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
Old 02-10-2008, 04:30 PM
I can has?

If you've ever seen any conversations about removing tint... it is ALWAYS recommended to have a shop do it. I have heard it is one of the most annoying and frustrating jobs to do, and many people destroy their rear defrost lines as well. I got my whole car de-tinted for $50.

Though the sides wouldn't be as bad, You probably won't save that much by having them just do the rear window, since that's primarily why they charge as much as they do in the first place.

4 windows + rear = $50
Just Rear = $35
Old 02-10-2008, 04:56 PM

Well I guess that's not so bad for just removing it. Maybe I can get a nice deal at my work. Thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 07:18 PM

I heard that all you have to do is get a black plastic bag and spray a whole bunch of windex on the tint and then place the garbage back on top and it will slowly start to peel away with the glue and all.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:05 AM
MAXIN' ON

I remove the sides windows. While a pain it did take some time. I bought some tint remover from walamrt and a sturdy razor blade holder and went at it. The prices listed are cheap for tint removal as I was quoted almost 3 times that.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 AM
I can has?

Originally Posted by redls1
I remove the sides windows. While a pain it did take some time. I bought some tint remover from walamrt and a sturdy razor blade holder and went at it. The prices listed are cheap for tint removal as I was quoted almost 3 times that.
wow, really? That's insane. I guess it's pretty cheap around here. The shop wants $150 to tint all 4 windows + rear and they do a damn good job judging from how my Dad's 20% looks. Is that about average?

Anyway, if you do decide to tackle this yourself, remember that the tint usually comes off in layers, do everything you can to make them come off all in one thick layer, meaning park it in the sun for a few hours before you start, use a blow-dryer if necessary, warm liquids will help, etc. You can google search for tutorials.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
wow, really? That's insane. I guess it's pretty cheap around here. The shop wants $150 to tint all 4 windows + rear and they do a damn good job judging from how my Dad's 20% looks. Is that about average?

Anyway, if you do decide to tackle this yourself, remember that the tint usually comes off in layers, do everything you can to make them come off all in one thick layer, meaning park it in the sun for a few hours before you start, use a blow-dryer if necessary, warm liquids will help, etc. You can google search for tutorials.
Well I figured since there's a nice chunk of it peeling off on one of the windows, that would give me a good start
Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM

yea a razor blade and window cleaner should work fine. It will take a long time but what what else would be shorter?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM

I witnessed a guy removing my tint... He basically just peeled one corner a bit and used a steamer the rest of the way. I was amazed how easy the crap was coming off.

If you don't have a steamer then maybe you can put your iron on the hottest setting and keep pressing the steam button )
Old 02-28-2008, 07:53 PM

Gone

I had a 06 altima with 5% tints in rear and 10% in front and got 5 tickets within 2 months so i finally decided to remove them.. fck ny_pD.. ne way.. it was simple.. all i did was take my finger nail and start to scratch from the top corner until i got a piece up and then i held that piece and started pulling diagonally downwards like >> / << that but really slow so it wouldnt rip.. i kept doing thing and while i got more and more removed.. i just kept rolling it up so when i completely removed it.. it was in a ball =].. when it got to the bottom part of the windows.. you know the part where the tint goes into the door.. just hold it from the bottoms and pull it side ways easy so once again.. it doesnt rip. why pay money when you can do it your self. my windows were perfectly clean and no marks or anything were left on it. w0op!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:04 PM
STFU n00b!

side windows are easy enough..
rear window is best left to a pro.

I've done 4 of them and I've done everything from complerely ruin the defroster to only ruining 3 lines... but I damaged it every time..

just pay someone to do it. once you start, you'll be wish I just paid the $50 to get it done by someone else.

took me all weekend each time to do the whole car. that's not worth $50 to me. I an work through lunch a few days in a week and pay for that.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:00 PM

If the tint is still relatively new, then it should just peel off in one piece, but if it is older, then I would suggest HEATING the entire film with a heat gun and carefully peeling it off with a PLASTIC razor blade.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 PM

i would guess heat would help with it
Old 03-05-2008, 05:43 PM

Thanks guys

I'm just gonna leave it for now til I can find someone to probably help me. That, or find time to leave it with my dealership I work at so they can remove it. Knowing the things I've gotten for free in the past (ie: maintenance), I'll most likely get this for free too. I wanna remove it so when I'm ready to get something new, I can maybe get more for it for having clean windows lol.