Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Best Product to use on a Machined Lip?

Old 03-16-2008, 03:00 PM

Best Product to use on a Machined Lip?

Please help, I have committed a sin on keeping your car clean and didn't clean my rims off when I put them in storage for the winter. Now my rims look like they got the plague, and have **** caked on them so hard that it takes me like a minute to get each spot off with soap and water.. I'm using just soap and water cuz I'm afraid of using anything else.

What is the best product to use on a machined lip? I don't know what the material is, so I don't know if it's safe to use cetrain products. Can I use a degreaser?

here's the rim:
(http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand)
Old 03-16-2008, 03:47 PM

You can use degreaser on anything for the most part.

I would also recommend steel wool if needed...BUT I'm not sure if machined lip=close to chrome. I know that you can safely use steel wool on chrome and windows, but I'm not sure about a machined lip...I'm sure someone else will chime in.

http://www.rightlook.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=153
Old 03-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

I did the same thing a couple winters ago. Salt dried on the polished lip. I tried a lot of different things, but the spots didn't go away. I ended up wet sanding the lip, which naturally removed the clear coat but that was the only way to get them looking good again.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
I did the same thing a couple winters ago. Salt dried on the polished lip. I tried a lot of different things, but the spots didn't go away. I ended up wet sanding the lip, which naturally removed the clear coat but that was the only way to get them looking good again.
I think that's what's up with me, I've tried degreaser, metal polish, brillo pad... the combination of those 3 removed the crap that was caked onto the lip......... but you can still see the spots where the crap used to be...

would rubbing compound work? theoraticly it will remove the top layer that's discolored?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:39 PM

try putting googone onto a lil towel, and jus rubbing it on the lip, nothing will happen.....and +1 on Repping Ukraine! =]
Old 03-27-2008, 07:58 AM

the only thing that helped was puttin the rim on a lathe and taking a layer of metal off.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by GETukrainian
the only thing that helped was puttin the rim on a lathe and taking a layer of metal off.
You're kidding! If you're not, that was some tough staining.