Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Need help deciding on pads.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Kal

Need help deciding on pads.

I have a Porter Cable 7424 and need to get new pads. I'm having a hard time deciding on weather I should get the Sonus SFX or Lake Country CCS pads, or is there any other pads that are recomended?

Sonus pads
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-sfxpad-kit.html

Lake Country Pads
http://www.autogeek.net/lakecountry.html

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 PM

It all comes down to personal preference. I personally use Lake Country CCS pads with my Porter Cable 7424. Very few people use Sonus pads these days and the support is showing being they are not widely available (even rumoured to be going out of business). A third option you might was to consider is Meguairs Soft buff 2.0 pads which I have heard are a very good pad and are a lot more user friendly being they only have 1 of each different cut, polish, and finishing pads where as Lake County CCS pads have quite a few different pads for each process.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

I've always liked LC pads. They've done an excellent job over the years and they seem to be pretty durable, especially the backing. I had some Propels that were good but fell to pieces after only a year or so. And i personally like all of the options they give you. It let's me tailor the pad to my products better.

Curious, do you guys use a pad cleaner/detergent to clean your pads or do you just use your car wash soap to clean them?
Old 05-28-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
I've always liked LC pads. They've done an excellent job over the years and they seem to be pretty durable, especially the backing. I had some Propels that were good but fell to pieces after only a year or so. And i personally like all of the options they give you. It let's me tailor the pad to my products better.

Curious, do you guys use a pad cleaner/detergent to clean your pads or do you just use your car wash soap to clean them?
I use dish soap. I let them sit in a sink full of water and dish soap for about an hour then massage the pads with the soap water and rinse. You just need to get the product out of the middle of the pad.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by Mreim769
I use dish soap. I let them sit in a sink full of water and dish soap for about an hour then massage the pads with the soap water and rinse. You just need to get the product out of the middle of the pad.
Yup, I do that too just was curious to know if the pad cleaner was any more effective. thanks for your reply.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:46 AM
OG and counting...

My favorite method of drying pads involves my rotary. I put the washed pad on the buffer and run the buffer at max speed. This usually dries the pads in less than a minute or two.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by PrinzII
My favorite method of drying pads involves my rotary. I put the washed pad on the buffer and run the buffer at max speed. This usually dries the pads in less than a minute or two.
I use the same drying method. Course last time I did that I fired my pad halfway across my lawn. Doh!