Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Car soaps that don't leave dry stains?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 AM

Car soaps that don't leave dry stains?

Hey guys,

whenever I wash my Max I notice there's always some dried soap stains left on the car on some parts. The best way I've found to try to get around this is to wash a section, and then rinse it off very quickly before the soap dries. Section by section. And even then, there's always a few stains. This is pretty tedious and I'd rather rinse the whole car, soap the whole car, and then rinse the whole car at once. I don't have a hose by the way so I use the two bucket method. It's especially noticeable and annoying since my car is black. Also I can't drive to a car wash because my car hasn't been legally inspected and certified yet.

What is the best way to avoid dried soap stains on a hot day, without a hose? Any recommended products that don't leave soap residue? thanks!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM

let me guess, you wash in direct sun light when its very hot outside? Thats your problem. I wash mine with Meguiars Gold Class, its very good.

But you really need to get a hose and some form of shade (or wash the car in the early morning or in the late afternoon when the sun isnt going to beating down on you from directly above
Old 05-26-2012, 11:18 AM

My first suggestion would be to stop washing the car while its hot. Direct sunlight isn't the problem, it's actually the temperature of your vehicles panel that is the culprit. I did a big study on over 20 car wash shampoos and I will share my personal favorite. The problem with most shampoos is that most contain waxes or conditioners (aka silicones). This will give you a glossy look after washing your vehicles which noobs love. If your going to apply a wax or sealant to your vehicle then there is no need to have one in your car wash. Again, these products are made for noobs. Silicones can also give you streaking on your windows and make them difficult to get a streak free shine (would you wax your windows?).

My favorite shampoo is Dodo Juice's Born to be Mild > http://www.autogeek.net/born-to-be-mild-shampoo.html

It smells great, has great thick silky foaming qualities and washes/dries better than any other shampoo I've tested. It comes concentrated so you only need 1-3 capfuls per 5 gallon bucket so even this 250ml bottle lasts awhile.

Another tip I can give you is using a quick detailer while you dry. Just saturate the panel while its still wet and it will help a lot with water staining. The quick detailer I would recommend would depend on the last step products you want to end up using.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:01 AM

Washing in the shade works for me. Even if you rinse off the soap, the water drying in the sun can leave water marks. Either Wash in the shade & constantly rinse it, or wash, rinse, and towel-dry it
Old 05-30-2012, 09:42 PM

On a hot day, make sure the car is completely shaded. Rinse down the car well to cool the paint. Wash, rinse, and dry quickly. You shouldn't have any more problems.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Gram Lights addict

-wash in the shade

-rinse properly

-clay bar the car