Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

cloth baby diapers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

cloth baby diapers?

my ex-husband has a 1979 1/2 Trans-Am (27K orig miles!!) which he basically pulls out to wash, wax and put her away lol. I was talking to him yesterday about his Meguires system he has always used (#9, #7, then the liquid carnuba wax (#24 or 26 I think). His car is black and the deep reflection has always been incredible.

He said to this day the best cloth he has used is cloth baby diapers. And he said he once tried and didnt like microfiber because it gums up faster.

What are the thoughts on these? Do you think they are safe for todays paints? The "feel" of microfiber anything on my fingers sort of squigs me out. odd, I admit If I remember correctly, older cars like that dont have clearcoat? Anyways, I'd be interested in thoughs.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by JensFirstMax
my ex-husband has a 1979 1/2 Trans-Am (27K orig miles!!) which he basically pulls out to wash, wax and put her away lol. I was talking to him yesterday about his Meguires system he has always used (#9, #7, then the liquid carnuba wax (#24 or 26 I think). His car is black and the deep reflection has always been incredible.

He said to this day the best cloth he has used is cloth baby diapers. And he said he once tried and didnt like microfiber because it gums up faster.

What are the thoughts on these? Do you think they are safe for todays paints? The "feel" of microfiber anything on my fingers sort of squigs me out. odd, I admit If I remember correctly, older cars like that dont have clearcoat? Anyways, I'd be interested in thoughs.
The cloth baby diapers are the old school way of doing it, since it was the softest material available at that time. Microfibers in my opinion are better, and if he says it's gumming up then he needs to let the wax dry longer, since it shouldn't do that.