Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

YAT on painting wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:59 PM

YAT on painting wheels

I know this has been discussed several times but most of the time it involves painting wheels some other color than the Nissan silver used for alloy wheels. In my case I've replaced the 17" 02 Maxima rims with 18" 03 350Z Touring rims but essentially the color is the same.

What I want to add here is that the postings concerning painting and repairing are very good (thanks to those before me). However, I would like to add some changes that I think made a huge difference for me. Air compressors are relatively inexpensive now, I bought my 6 gallon one from Sears for <$100 and its been a great tool (I use it around the house and for wood working). I purchased a cheap HVLP paint tool from Harbor Freight for <$25 and it has also been great (for the price).

Most of my problems with re-finishing my wheels has been the clear coat. However even the silver is tough to match. The Duplicolor silver is not quite -it - its a metallic finish so its close but not quite it. In searching I've found that the Nissan Silver is very close to the BMW Wurth Silver paint. You can find places carrying it and it is much closer.

But still the point I would like to make here is about using the Duplicolor clear coat with the HVLP sprayer. Using the cans of clear coat never give me the finish I like - it looks like it was spray painted. The HVLP sprayer however gave me a huge difference - I had absolute control over the painting process. I really enjoyed my results this time. So much so that I'm considering abandoning the Wurth Silver spray next time in favor of the Duplicolor Brilliant Silver HVLP spray.

Just a few more details:
1) no need to add anything to the Duplicolor clear - already contains acetone at the right mixture.
2) definitely where breathing protection as even in well ventilated areas are no protection
3) read the directions carefully - almost went to wax my wheels today but the instructions say to wait 1 week

Hope this helps. You guys are great with all this information.