Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Anyone tried Leatherique? My results.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:47 AM

Anyone tried Leatherique? My results.

I was wondering, I've known about it for a while but never bought it because of the cost and mixed reactions. Usually have used Zaino (best smelling conditioner ever) or Lexol, either cleans the leather really well but the tactile improvement in the leather only lasted for a day or two. Having just got my Maxxi I wanted to treat it to something special, so I got the Leatherique kit.

I put it on the front seats last night and it's still on the seats now, baking in the sun as per the instructions. The driver's seat is covered in a plastic bag so I can still drive it, but the passenger's seat has pretty much completely absorbed the rejuvenator oil, and I put a LOT on there. It's very sticky right now and you can definitely tell it's brought some haze (dirt) up to the surface and out of the leather itself.

I can already tell some results with it. My leather was in pretty good shape already (only three years old with barely any miles) but the perforations in the seat bottoms had pretty much closed up with dirt/booty sweat. Already though they've opened up and have cleared out completely so the stuff definitely works to improve seat appearance.

Not sure if it really makes leather as soft as it says it will, but I'll know more when I take the stuff off with the cleaner later before moving on to the other seats/leather surfaces. Anyone else tried it, and how did it work for you?
Old 10-22-2015, 02:25 AM

If your leather is uncoated, leatherique will give the best result and can make the leather really supple.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:23 AM

Well, here are my results so far...

Verdict: The stuff actually lives up to the hype and claims they make. But I probably won't be using it that often.

Pros: Biggest difference so far is in the appearance of the leather surfaces I've applied it to so far. Now granted, my seats only had three years and 20k miles worth of wear, so there wasn't a large amount of change to be had, but it was still readily apparent. It completely removed both the hazy appearance and 'slick' feeling that wear makes on leather, and left it with a wonderful factory new looking matte finish that actually is softer and returned that new leather grain feel. It also completely cleared my clogged seat perforations. I've also noted, that, unlike other conditioners this stuff isn't just a tacky surface dressing that sticks to your clothes and is rubbed off within a couple of days, this actually restores the feel of the leather itself and there's no stickiness at all.

Cons: This stuff is messy. It literally gets everywhere. It starts out as an oil but within just a few seconds of exposure to air it becomes a sticky mess. It is a complete PITA to get off, especially the vinyl surfaces that won't absorb it...namely the sides of the seat and the headrest...which are still somewhat sticky feeling after multiple scrubs, but not enough to be bothersome. It also takes the entire 16 oz bottle to treat one car one time, so that's about $70 for one treatment kit...a bit steep. And did I mention the sticky crap gets everywhere?

That being said, the results are amazing and was worth the effort, but probably only as a once in a while thing to restore my leather rather than a regular detail item for the reasons above. I will definitely be using it again in a year or two, though.

So far I've done the front seats, gear ****, and am currently treating the steering wheel. No befores of the seats, but I do have a before and after of the gear ****, and the before pic of the steering wheel is just what my seat perforations looked like.

Pics:

This is what my seat perforations look like now, you can see what they used to look like in the following pic which is a before of the steering wheel.

And now here's a back to back, showing the difference it made. Literally looks and feels like brand new again.

Should have an after of the steering wheel later on tonight, but the results so far are great!
Old 10-22-2015, 04:34 PM

Results from the steering wheel are in! Amazing improvement...probably the most of everything I've done so far. The look and feel is astoundingly improved, like brand new.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:14 PM

Honestly the result is impressive. But as you mentioned the product application is messy, would it be dust magnet?
Old 10-31-2015, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by viprider
Honestly the result is impressive. But as you mentioned the product application is messy, would it be dust magnet?
On vinyl, YES. I think I mentioned above that the stuff is nearly impossible to get off vinyl because it doesn't absorb the product. Vinyl areas are gonna be headrests, sides and rear of the seats...non-contact surfaces basically.

On the leather, no dust...just the feel of clean new leather, even now almost two weeks later. Stuff works amazingly well.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Maxxi12
On vinyl, YES. I think I mentioned above that the stuff is nearly impossible to get off vinyl because it doesn't absorb the product. Vinyl areas are gonna be headrests, sides and rear of the seats...non-contact surfaces basically.

On the leather, no dust...just the feel of clean new leather, even now almost two weeks later. Stuff works amazingly well.
Thanks for sharing your personal experience with it. So using it with vinyl will surely be a nightmare.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

From some of the pictures, it looks like there was a color change from gray to blue. Was there? What color are we supposed to be seeing?
Old 11-02-2015, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
From some of the pictures, it looks like there was a color change from gray to blue. Was there? What color are we supposed to be seeing?
That's just glare from the phone flash which uses a blue LED. The true color is matte black.