Chamois Cloth or Microfiber Towel to Dry Car? - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maintenance, Tech, & Care > Detailing
Reload this Page >

Chamois Cloth or Microfiber Towel to Dry Car?

Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Chamois Cloth or Microfiber Towel to Dry Car?

Old 10-04-2015, 07:54 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Chamois Cloth or Microfiber Towel to Dry Car?

I wanted to get people's/ detailer's opinions on whether it's better to use a chamois cloth or a microfiber towel to dry the car. I've used a chamois for years and they have always done well for me, but I've read many articles where people recommend a microfiber towel. Any and all opinions, information and/ or empirical evidence is appreciated. Having a dark colored car, I want to do everything I can to minimize fine scratches in the paint.

Thanks
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 10-05-2015, 05:43 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 1,884
Leaf blower followed by microfiber + detail spray/wax-n-dry wipe-down.
Turbobink is offline  
Old 10-05-2015, 08:10 PM
  #3  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
The consensus in the detailing world seems to be micro fibers for drying vs the old chamois. The toughest thing you can put on there is a coating, said to put a layer of silica material down that can resist scratching. These are far more expensive than just regular wax but they last for a very long time.

The rag company has a nice selection of towels.
Places with great information on detailing are Detailed Image and AutoGeek.net
Just be forewarned that once you start looking at those sites you may never go back to plain old auto store wax.
nickdude is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 10:09 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Athens Georgia
Posts: 441
Use a microfiber cloth, but the trick is to soak it first. After soaking it wring it out much as you can and start to dry your car... Have two cloths to do this with, one for the top half of the car and one for the lower.

But what I do....If are good at keeping your car detailed, have a nice layer of wax/sealant on your car always.. So when you are ready to dry your car just run an open hose (no nozzle) over your car no pressure, the water will just sheet of your car, in my case, almost 90% of it water is removed from the car when I do it this way.

GL, post pictures when you are done
SR20Power is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 11:37 AM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by SR20Power View Post
Use a microfiber cloth, but the trick is to soak it first. After soaking it wring it out much as you can and start to dry your car... Have two cloths to do this with, one for the top half of the car and one for the lower.

But what I do....If are good at keeping your car detailed, have a nice layer of wax/sealant on your car always.. So when you are ready to dry your car just run an open hose (no nozzle) over your car no pressure, the water will just sheet of your car, in my case, almost 90% of it water is removed from the car when I do it this way.

GL, post pictures when you are done
Thank you for the feedback! The first time I washed the car, I could tell the dealership had applied a glaze because some scratches/ wipe lines were evident on the roof and trunk area. They had apparently just covered them up with the glaze. The car was on the showroom floor for a while and I'm sure they were wiping it daily with whatever was handy. So, I spent some time working on the paint to remove those marks and I want to be sure and keep the paint as nice as possible. I swore off dark colors years ago after I had a black car, but somehow I've ended up with a dark color again.

I currently have Meguiar's Ultimate Wax on the car, the paint looks great, and I want to keep it that way. What really drives me crazy is the thick dust that quickly becomes evident on the dark paint. I've heard of people using detailing spray and a microfiber cloth or a "California Duster" to remove the dust, but I'm not convinced there's a good way to remove it without scratching the paint, short of washing it. Of course, I don't have time to wash my car every few days. Any suggestions with this is appreciated.

Here is the requested picture. I installed the rocker panels right after I got the car and I replaced the halogen fog light bulbs with LEDs last weekend.







Last edited by doctorpullit; 10-06-2015 at 08:33 PM.
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 07:43 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Athens Georgia
Posts: 441
Doc,

Car is beautiful, I have an 11' same color... love it. When it comes to keeping dust off your car that just isn't going to happen. It really just comes down to a maintenance thing and keeping it waxed or using a sealant. Its hard to read all these products with all these claims but trust me, your car WILL get dusty and dirty if you don't wash it. Even cars with the permanent coatings on it such as Opti-Bond...Still going to get dusty, will still get dirty.

I don't like using detail sprays and honestly you don't find many "professional" detailers using them either. I find after i put a nice coat of my sealant on their and maybe a week later I give it a quick wash and try to use a quick detailer it kind've messes up the sealant I have on there already so I don't use it anymore. Using Detailer spray as a lubricant maybe while dusting off your car?? Sure, I rather just wash mine when I can.

When I wash my car i just use a microfiber towel. I don't use any fancy expensive crap and I never had a problem with it. Just make sure if you do that it's a dedicated towel for washing your car. You can try the leaf blower thing but trust me, unless you car is waxed or sealed with a product that have wonderful hydrophobic properties it will sheet the water all over your car and make a mess and you will spend just as much time drying it with a cloth.

Good luck..
SR20Power is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 08:31 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by SR20Power View Post
Doc,

Car is beautiful, I have an 11' same color... love it. When it comes to keeping dust off your car that just isn't going to happen. It really just comes down to a maintenance thing and keeping it waxed or using a sealant. Its hard to read all these products with all these claims but trust me, your car WILL get dusty and dirty if you don't wash it. Even cars with the permanent coatings on it such as Opti-Bond...Still going to get dusty, will still get dirty.

I don't like using detail sprays and honestly you don't find many "professional" detailers using them either. I find after i put a nice coat of my sealant on their and maybe a week later I give it a quick wash and try to use a quick detailer it kind've messes up the sealant I have on there already so I don't use it anymore. Using Detailer spray as a lubricant maybe while dusting off your car?? Sure, I rather just wash mine when I can.

When I wash my car i just use a microfiber towel. I don't use any fancy expensive crap and I never had a problem with it. Just make sure if you do that it's a dedicated towel for washing your car. You can try the leaf blower thing but trust me, unless you car is waxed or sealed with a product that have wonderful hydrophobic properties it will sheet the water all over your car and make a mess and you will spend just as much time drying it with a cloth.

Good luck..
SR20Power,

Thank you very much for all of the great info, both here and the other thread I posted. I appreciate you taking the time to allow me to benefit from your experiences.
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 11:51 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Athens Georgia
Posts: 441
It's why we are here, I highly suggest you join and read to your hearts content on http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/, you will find a plethora of information on that website with people with 100x more knowledge then I. Of course, when or if you do join make sure you harass that "Search" button before posting new questions, chances are they have been answer before.
SR20Power is offline  
Old 10-11-2015, 09:33 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 994
Chamois Cloth or Microfiber Towel to Dry Car?

Ive recently pick up some dry towels from the brand SMART. Surprisingly are really good and leaves no type of residue from towel. If you dont drive your car that often or have it stored in the garage for a couple days before driving it and dont wanna wash your car, I would recommend using a product from 3M. Called Clean and shine, it pretty much mimics a car wash, you just have it in a spray bottle. And it cleans off all the dust and un wanted waterspots before or after a wash not to mention cuts the time in half oppose to washing your car thats already clean.

Last edited by lux97Max; 10-11-2015 at 09:39 PM.
lux97Max is offline  
Old 11-01-2015, 06:36 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 41
I use MF towel like cobra guzzler to dry the exterior paint and chamios for plastic parts and even glasses.
viprider is offline  
Old 11-10-2015, 09:14 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 579
SR20POWER is the resident detail guy up in here. WEALTH of knowledge, experience, etc. Thanks for all of your great feedback on this thread and all of the others you've been a part of!
Dudemaine is offline  
Old 12-05-2015, 07:47 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 561
As dude said SR20 is the man. That said, chamois are not good for anything but cleaning my kids outdoor plastic vehicles! Someone a while back mention MF's as I had been using old bath towels. Man have I learned a lot in the last couple of years... Rag company is great and make good count towels for all purposes. Cheap too. I bought a combo and have been wearing them out ever since. Good luck and you only have one paint job so spend some dough and lean back and smile when you've cleaned it.
BIGIRISHSTL is offline  
Old 12-06-2015, 12:03 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Athens Georgia
Posts: 441
You guys are honestly to kind. I like shearing what I've leaned with anyone willing to listen or in this case, read. I largely agree with the Rag company being a wonderful company to purchase Korean quality Mf towels. To be honest I don't own any of them. I am currently finishing up a 928 Porsche and i am using the typical Chemical guys Chinese towels and they are working just fine.
But do know ,I am using them to remove buffing compound from a sanding and cutting compound job. I do use quality towels whenI remove wax and polish from a a buffed car.
Again guys, I thank you very much for the kind words and if any questions post em or PM.
SR20Power is offline  
Old 12-06-2015, 03:24 PM
  #14  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
A few days ago, I received the microfiber towels that I ordered from The Rag Company. I ordered a large waffle weave called Dry Me A River and five ultra plush microfibers called Everest 800. The Everest 800s are great. They are super soft and are great for removing waxes and polishes. I haven't had an opportunity to use the waffle weave yet, but the next time I wash the Max, I will give it a workout.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback and advice.
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 12-08-2015, 04:31 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Athens Georgia
Posts: 441
Originally Posted by doctorpullit View Post
A few days ago, I received the microfiber towels that I ordered from The Rag Company. I ordered a large waffle weave called Dry Me A River and five ultra plush microfibers called Everest 800. The Everest 800s are great. They are super soft and are great for removing waxes and polishes. I haven't had an opportunity to use the waffle weave yet, but the next time I wash the Max, I will give it a workout.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback and advice.
I've heard great things about the "dry me a river" WW towels and I own a WW towel myself, not the Dry me a river version and I ended up sticking with a regular wet microfiber towel (wet first then wring out) to dry my cars, dries them VERY FAST!!

Do let us know how you like the towels.
SR20Power is offline  
Old 01-16-2016, 11:52 AM
  #16  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by SR20Power View Post
I've heard great things about the "dry me a river" WW towels and I own a WW towel myself, not the Dry me a river version and I ended up sticking with a regular wet microfiber towel (wet first then wring out) to dry my cars, dries them VERY FAST!!

Do let us know how you like the towels.
The Dry Me a River large microfiber towel worked wonderfully. After rinsing the car and then running a stream of water over the car with the nozzle off of the hose, I was able to dry the entire car with the one towel. It glided effortlessly across the paint and left no streaks. I didn't even have to wring the towel out. I am sold!
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 04:08 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Athens Georgia
Posts: 441
That is awesome, Yeah I figured you would love them since i've never heard anything bad about that towel. I am more jealous that you are in a location with warmer weather... 30 below on average here in Georgia, so that means I have not washed my car in a long while..
SR20Power is offline  
Old 01-21-2016, 06:06 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 561
They are great towels. I bought a whole set and they threw in a glass towel. I got WW and all sort of types from drying to super soft for wax removal. They have lasted 1 yr plus and still doing well. The corners can unravel a bit but scissors stem that. I'm in same boat in STL right now. Scratch machines for me till it warms up.
BIGIRISHSTL is offline  
Old 01-24-2016, 10:59 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Athens Georgia
Posts: 441
Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL View Post
They are great towels. I bought a whole set and they threw in a glass towel. I got WW and all sort of types from drying to super soft for wax removal. They have lasted 1 yr plus and still doing well. The corners can unravel a bit but scissors stem that. I'm in same boat in STL right now. Scratch machines for me till it warms up.
No sir, I would allow my car to build up 5" of dirt and grit before i run it through a Swirl-O-Matic car wash machine. Search for a touch-less car wash in your area.
SR20Power is offline  
Old 02-07-2016, 04:15 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 561
I should say that most I go to are touchless but good distinction to make.
BIGIRISHSTL is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
doctorpullit
8th Generation Maxima (2016-)
16
03-21-2017 05:04 PM
doctorpullit
8th Generation Maxima (2016-)
8
10-20-2015 07:22 AM
MaxLvr21
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
14
10-17-2015 01:11 PM
blissfulfantasy
General Maxima Discussion
1
10-06-2015 06:26 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chamois Cloth or Microfiber Towel to Dry Car?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.