Feedback/Suggestions Let us know what you like about Maxima.org, its forums, or let us know what suggestions you may have! DO NOT POST YOUR CAR QUESTIONS HERE.

Please don't flame the noobs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Moderator GT-R

Please don't flame the noobs!

This is a tough subject, one that most forums that are more than a few months old go through. A new member does not have knowledge of what is an obvious question and what isn't. To someone who just signed up, "what offset should 18x8 rims have" may be no more or less obvious than "what would it take to get to 300 awhp". The former could be quickly answered or found in a basic 5 minute search, the latter is likely to start a flame war, but the point is that someone who has been here a year (or 4 in my case) should not have an expectation that a new member will know what has been beaten to death and what hasn't. Even some topics that have been beaten to death never get conclusively answered.

We (admins/mods) expect that when a new member asks a question, it gets answered by those that know the answer or have a qualified opinion (in the case of more subjective questions like tire choice, etc). Members have no obligation to answer the question, but telling someone to search isn't an answer. A good reply to the wheel offset question could be: Quote:
I used the search function and found this thread about wheel fitments on Evos... an 18x8 with a 35mm offset will fit properly.

In that manner, the new user gets his answer and realizes he can find out a lot by searching. That is not flaming someone, it's educating. When users throw in insults into the answer, it discourages the user from posting more questions, but may also discourage them from relaying their newfound knowledge or from even coming back to the site, and that's why we don't tolerate it.

In short - answer the question, indicate you found it with the search, but do not flame the new users just because they asked a repetitive question.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showpos...8&postcount=13
Find Credit: d00df00d
Old 03-08-2007, 09:24 AM

an observation...

It seems like EVERYONE is soo concerned about reposts, and do a search... I don't see what the big deal is.. half the questions asked are probably reposts, but the replies can be off topic. If a thread is old, whats the point of keeping it... 15, 20 pages on the forum, whats the point of even having a forum if all questions that are asked always have a reply "REPOST, do a search" its so rediculous. I've belonged to many forums, and this is the first one where this is such a big deal. Who cares... a question was asked, repost or not, if you can help, help; if not.. move on...

moderators or whatever they are called, just delete threads that are 1 month old.. if its a good thread, sticky it. Even look at the How-To sections, 80% (rough estimate) of the links are DEAD.. whats the point????

dont' mean to go off, but every question i asked on this forum was little or no help at all.. and doing a search via google gives replies from other gens too, so the replies are useless. yes, you can say donate to have better search options, but why donate to a site that has be little or no help at all??