Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

HELP .. need all opinions about transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003 | 01:41 PM

HELP .. need all opinions about transmission fluid change

i know this looks long but if u read this and help me out with info i would be greatly appreciated

i posted up before about this
my car is an auto

i bought my car with 100k , when i bought it the transmission fluid to me looked pink like it was just changed, but i can be wrong

it now has 120k so last week or so i tried bringing it to AAMCO to have a complete transmission flush done and put in a case of AMSOIL ATF that i purchased, they were a bunch of a$$holes working there and seemed like they were too busy to do my car so what the mechanic told me there was that my fluid is already burned and not to change it because if i do my transmission will start to slip

i know that is true if my fluids already burned that its not good to change because of problems of shifting but i do not think its burned and he just didnt want to service me or wants my transmission to go bad

so i also asked another mechanic at a different shop where i went to get my axel replaced to check my fluid he says it looks fine and doesnt look or smell burned at all and it should be no problem in changing it

so today i went to a different AAMCO , also over there they seemed like a$$holes , i had the manager of the shop check out my fluid , he says its fine and could be changed , that it wasnt burned , he also said that i shouldnt put syntectic AMSOIL fluid in my car because it wont lubricate all parts of tranny(also not sure if thats true)

so i left there and went to a regular mechanic, a different one and also asked them to check it out they said over there that its old and needs to be changed right away

so now I'm all confused
-i got 1 AAMCO shop that said my fluids burned and dont change it
-i got another AAMCO shop that says its not burned and change it but not with amsoil ATF but only with regular ATF
-i got one mechanic that says its good and can be changed and fluids not burned yet
-and i got another mechanic saying the fluids old and needs to be changed right away

and im all confused not knowing what to do

should i change it?
shouldnt i?

should i do a complete flush?
or drain and fill?

should i put in amsoil ATF fluid or not?

someone please respond any info is greatly appreciated
Old 06-19-2003 | 03:14 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Step 1:

1. Buy 4 or 5 quarts of ATF (dino is fine)
2. Get oil analysis sample container from Blackstone Labs.
3. Drive car around a while.
4. Wait 30 minutes or so and drain ATF (like your oil) by removing the drain bolt on the bottom of the transmission pan (Pretty sure its 19mm in size)
5. After waiting a minimum of 5 seconds, catch a sample. Re-fill ATF.
6. Send sample to Blackstone.
7. Await analysis results.
8. Post back here with results and then we'll go from there.
Old 06-19-2003 | 03:54 PM

I just odered the kit from blackstone to send my atf fluid, but i really do not want to wait 2-3 weeks till it arrives, i dont even want to wait a week, i just want to know now so that way i can get it done with my week vacation from work i have coming up or else i wont have no other time to do so
Old 06-19-2003 | 06:15 PM

Originally posted by 95seMax
I just odered the kit from blackstone to send my atf fluid, but i really do not want to wait 2-3 weeks till it arrives, i dont even want to wait a week, i just want to know now so that way i can get it done with my week vacation from work i have coming up or else i wont have no other time to do so

I'll drop a Blackstone kit in the mail to you tommorow. I wouldn't worry too much about what the Aamco guys said. They want to sell a more expensive repair to you later, similar to Jiffy Lube guys telling people with CAI that their air filter is dirty and producing a nasty looking panel filter (it's happened, don't laugh).

The comment about Amsoil's ATF not lubing all the parts is BS.

If you don't want to wait, I would just change the ATF and avoid Aamco.
Old 06-20-2003 | 05:45 PM

should i do a complete flush then or just drain and fill from bottom the 4 qts? which one would be recommended
Old 06-20-2003 | 07:57 PM

I would just do the whole flush. The drain and fill a few times would be the conservative approach if you're really worried, but it's not as effective.