Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Oil Filter (How many times can it be used)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 12:14 AM

Oil Filter (How many times can it be used)

First and foremost I would like to say that I always change my oil filter when I change my oil. However, at 90k miles I took it to PepBoys and had them put in Mobil 1 (as usual) but they didn't have the Mobil 1 oil filter that I usually use. So at 93k I do the oil change myself and I can't get their oil filter out. So I leave the same one on. Come 96k the oil filter remover thing that I purchased didn't grip their filter firmly and slipped. So I left the old oil filter again. I know stand @ 96100 miles and I ask myself. Is this safe? Can I wait until 99k to take care of it. Or should I get up and change the oil and filter again immediatly. Thanks as usual!
Old 09-25-2003, 06:31 AM

I don't know what kind of filter you have on there now, but my guess is you'd be pushing it. Personally, I'd just change the filter now and top off the oil to full (usually only about 1/2 quart). You do know you can change the filter without the oil, right?
There are some threads about how to get stubborn filters off. Some tips would be to change the filter while it is warm, use the proper size filter wrench (kind that goes on a 3/8 ratchet), and make sure you are turning it the correct way.
And once you are putting the new one on, put some fresh oil on the new filter's rubber gasket, and never use a filter wrench to tighten the filter. This will help you avoid what you are going through now.

Dave
Old 09-25-2003, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chino
First and foremost I would like to say that I always change my oil filter when I change my oil. However, at 90k miles I took it to PepBoys and had them put in Mobil 1 (as usual) but they didn't have the Mobil 1 oil filter that I usually use. So at 93k I do the oil change myself and I can't get their oil filter out. So I leave the same one on. Come 96k the oil filter remover thing that I purchased didn't grip their filter firmly and slipped. So I left the old oil filter again. I know stand @ 96100 miles and I ask myself. Is this safe? Can I wait until 99k to take care of it. Or should I get up and change the oil and filter again immediatly. Thanks as usual!
I agree with Dave. Change the filter and top off the system. I've been known to shove a screwdriver through the filter to get it off, but if you use this method you better be sure it's going to come off.

Also, the longer you wait to change it, the harder it's going to be to loosen.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:16 PM

I see, but its not like I'm damaging the engine really bad or anything, eh? I guess I'll have to buy the adapter for the ratchet that fits this filter for a one time use. What a shame, anyways thank you for the advice!
Old 09-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Use a huge monkey wrench to take it off, I needed to do that after my mechanic put the filter on too strong.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chino
I see, but its not like I'm damaging the engine really bad or anything, eh?
You very well could be. I'm not familiar with Pepboys filters, but if they have the cardboard endcaps like Frams and some Nissan's I'd be concerned. Your talking about running 3X the recommended interval on an inferior filter. Amsoil's filter is a much higher quality I'm sure, and they only recommend a maximum of 12,500 miles. I imagine the M1 filters are similar in terms of durability although they won't give a mileage recommendation other than refer to your owners manual..
Old 09-27-2003, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by iwannabmw
I'm not familiar with Pepboys filters, but if they have the cardboard endcaps like Frams and some Nissan's I'd be concerned.
The Pep Boys' Proline filters are made by Purolator.