Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Royal Purple synthetic oil, Max-Gear???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 04:09 PM

Royal Purple synthetic oil, Max-Gear???

It says that it is high performance automotive gear oil. With synerlec and it says you can use it for limited slip. Claims to add more horespower and extend gear life. Also it says that it meets both Gl-4 and Gl-5 performance requirements. It cools gearbox temperatures, saves fuel, has shock load protection, etc... Has anyone else tried this gear oil. I had it in my tranny for a couple of days and i did notice a difference. But it leaked all over my driveway stupid cv axle seal. Well i have saved all that i could and plan on putting it back in. I was just wondering if anyone else has this or has tried it. Because i don't hear much about it on the forums.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 3rdgenmaxima
It says that it is high performance automotive gear oil. With synerlec and it says you can use it for limited slip. Claims to add more horespower and extend gear life. Also it says that it meets both Gl-4 and Gl-5 performance requirements. It cools gearbox temperatures, saves fuel, has shock load protection, etc... Has anyone else tried this gear oil. I had it in my tranny for a couple of days and i did notice a difference. But it leaked all over my driveway stupid cv axle seal. Well i have saved all that i could and plan on putting it back in. I was just wondering if anyone else has this or has tried it. Because i don't hear much about it on the forums.
Just curious, was the seal leaking this bad before you installed the Royal Purple gear oil?
Old 05-15-2004, 06:05 PM
VQ Wizard

Because no one here really uses Royal Purple. Most members here use Amsoil motor oil and Redline MT90 gear oil. However I use the Amsoil gear oil as well and will continue to do so when I need more.

It doesn't sound right that your axle seal started leaking because you put in the RP. The fluid level had to have been very low prior to the oil change because of that leak.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:35 PM

No the royal purple didn't cause my seal to leak, I replaced both drive axles and the seals that napa sold me where crappy i guess. The first time i installed it, it seemed fine then it started leaking, then i replaced the seal again still leaking. So tomorrow i am goin to nissan and im getting an oem seal and im goin to do this for the third time. Hopefully this time there will be no leak. I was just asking if anyone else has royal purple in their tranny. It appears to be some good stuff, i liked for the little time i had it in there. Most of it leaked all down my driveway. I could tell a big difference from the regular gear oil that was in there. When i get it finally fixed i'll post again about it when i have had it in there for a week or so. It claims to add horsepower, better gas mileage, extend gear life, etc... It is some good quality stuff, definately worth the 9 bucks a quart. I'll see though in like a week. I'll keep you informed about what i think about it. I just wanted to know if anyone else had it because i haven't read much about it on these forums.