Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

60k tune up is upon me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 11:45 AM

60k tune up is upon me...

I have a few questions.

Where is the cheapest place online to buy a fuel filter and oil filter? And what are some recommended brands?

For the tranny fluid, I was planning on doing a "mini-flush" that I read about on here a few days ago...so how many quarts of ATF will I need for that, and is there really a difference between brands?

For the coolant, any recommendations on the brand?

Also, any general tips on actually doing it. I am a novice mechanic...all help will be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:51 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by my99maxisnice
I have a few questions.

Where is the cheapest place online to buy a fuel filter and oil filter? And what are some recommended brands?

For the tranny fluid, I was planning on doing a "mini-flush" that I read about on here a few days ago...so how many quarts of ATF will I need for that, and is there really a difference between brands?

For the coolant, any recommendations on the brand?

Also, any general tips on actually doing it. I am a novice mechanic...all help will be appreciated.
I've used Courtesy Nissan with excellent results...great prices, prompt shipping, OEM parts. See them at www.courtesyparts.com

ATF drain and refill will require 4.5 to 5.5 qts...it just depends. A home-flush will require 12 quarts to be sure (capacity on the transmission is 10.5 qt). Again, it just depends on how much clean fluid you want to cycle through the system.

There is a big difference between petroleum and synthetic fluids. Not sure how much of a difference there is between petrol brands. You could always use OEM Nissan-matic D also...this will be more costly than regular off-the-shelf petroleum ATF, but less expensive than a quality synthetic such as AMSOIL or Mobil 1.

Concerning coolant, everyone has an opinion. For the nominal cost I always use OEM Nissan coolant as it is safe for aluminum and contains no silicates which can damage water pump seals.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:58 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Also, I recommend you don't scrimp on the plugs. The car calls for NGK platinums which cost ~$11 each. Courtesy Nissan also sells these. Others on this board will recommend you install regular copper plugs, but I'll take the word of the engineers who designed the engine. The NGK platinums will last for 60K with no problem.