Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oil change

Hehe... ok, I did the first oil change on my fiancee's 2002 Maxima today. I went to the local dealer to pick up a filter and the guy came back asking what kind of Sentra it was (after I said "2002 Maxima") I should've known right then and there. I got the filter and it didn't specifically have Maxima (A33) listed but it had the FX45, G35, I30(35) (weird, it listed VQ30 and VQ35), Murano, and 350Z. I noticed that it looked similar to the ones for my SE-R and when I got home I confirmed it (p/n 15208-65F00). I changed the oil on both cars and, as I was cleaning up, I noticed that one of the old filters removed didn't fit in the box (I usually throw out the old filters that way) So I took a closer look and the filter that came off the Maxima was longer (p/n 15208-9E000) I know that the SE-R filters are different for the earlier years vs. the later ones and I remember hearing people having issues because the later ones are shorter. The filter threaded on and is on there without a problem. The car's been for a 15-20 minute drive already with no problem. Aside from having less area from the filter and probably thus less filtering(?) can anyone offer any insight as to whether or not this would be a huge problem to let it go till the next oil change? I don't feel like changing it tonight but if it seems like it's a hugely big, bad deal, I'll do it tomorrow. TIA
Old 09-04-2004, 04:13 PM
The Definitive AE Master

i'm unsure of the size differences that you are experiencing. However I know that Nissan has been cost cutting by having a wide variety of cars from sentra to maxima to fx's sharing this "new" oil filter. Taken from the fluids and lubricants forum:

Oil Filters to avoid:
Nissan OEM 15208-65F00 (specified for VQ35DE by Nissan dealer; refuse to purchase this filter as it has cardboard endcaps like low quality Fram filters; insist on the dealer using the 15208-9E000 oil filter as it has a better overall construction quality)

Request for Nissan OEM 15208-9E000 ONLY (for all VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines)
Old 09-04-2004, 05:07 PM

I bought a bunch of the 15208-9E000 filters from my dealer for my 02. I don't know how long they will be around so I have enough for several oil changes.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio
Oil Filters to avoid:
Nissan OEM 15208-65F00 (specified for VQ35DE by Nissan dealer; refuse to purchase this filter as it has cardboard endcaps like low quality Fram filters; insist on the dealer using the 15208-9E000 oil filter as it has a better overall construction quality)

Request for Nissan OEM 15208-9E000 ONLY (for all VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines)
Interesting... well, shame on me for not searching first! Anyway, I didn't specifically see where you were talking about not using this oil filter. And I don't see where it has cardboard endcaps (and I've had one apart before also) The 65F00 is the only one I've used on my own car for nearly 100K miles now and it's worked fine for me. <shrug> Guess I'll just stick with this one for now and see if I can't find the 9E000 after this interval. Weird though... seems like a lot of other people have come across this problem.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:41 AM

The 9E000 is very easily purchased at least from my stealership. I didn't know that they may possibly move all people to the 65F00 (?).

For you, as you can tell, it looks like you have the 'right' filter, even if it's maybe not ideal, so no problems
Old 09-06-2004, 01:52 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by kieranlavin
Interesting... well, shame on me for not searching first! Anyway, I didn't specifically see where you were talking about not using this oil filter. And I don't see where it has cardboard endcaps (and I've had one apart before also) The 65F00 is the only one I've used on my own car for nearly 100K miles now and it's worked fine for me. <shrug> Guess I'll just stick with this one for now and see if I can't find the 9E000 after this interval. Weird though... seems like a lot of other people have come across this problem.
bill99gxe the moderator of the fluids/lubricants forum recommends for us to stick with the 9E000 filters. And also, i believe you can go to www.motorvate.ca for an example of a maxima owner cutting open one of the oil filters for analysis
Old 09-06-2004, 09:07 PM

bill99gxe the moderator of the fluids/lubricants forum recommends for us to stick with the 9E000 filters. And also, i believe you can go to www.motorvate.ca for an example of a maxima owner cutting open one of the oil filters for analysis
No disrespect intended but I've seen this before... one person says it's so and everyone else follows and just takes their word as gospel. The website you reference compares a Nissan oil filter with a generic. (the website is also annoying and hard to read with the table of contents filling in over the text of the article you are trying to read!) I am talking about two different Nissan oil filters. Does anyone have specific evidence that the other (65F00) has cardboard ends? Like I said, I've been using this one for 100+ miles on my car without a problem. The only difference I see in the filters is the length. I think you are all being a little too worried and jumping on the bandwagon that the 65F00 is crap. I don't buy it as I see no reason that Nissan would produce different oil filters in a different manner. I'll let you all know if I have any problems with this filter as opposed to the supposedly untouchable 9E000
Old 09-07-2004, 06:08 PM
The Definitive AE Master

hmm... well i never referenced the 9E000 as godly or untouchable. When it comes down to it, its really what you prefer. I use 9E000 because its the oil filter listed underneath 1995-2001 maximas. I've seen the 65F00 and talks have been that its supposedly smaller and less efficient.

no one is telling you not to use it, if you like it then thats great... right? There really is no point in arguing or pointing about who is right or wrong or whatnot. I've done blackstone labs oil analysis on my engine with 9E000 and it looks great. Who knows, maybe your car feels fine but a oil analysis with a 65F000 may be different... or maybe its the same. It doesn't really matter. You can also take a look at the excel spreadsheet of different oil analysis' done on different cars with different oil/filter combos to see breakdown components.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:21 PM

no one is telling you not to use it, if you like it then thats great... right?
Exactly... I personally feel that what it comes down to is 'to each their own' My original concern was whether or not the 65F00 posed eminent danger. And, after searching a bit, it does not. I will switch over to the 9E000 at the next oil change just to err on the safe side but for now the car will be fine with the 65F00. I didn't mean to attack you or anyone else personally. I had just gotten the feeling that people were telling me that I cannot use the filter that's currently on the car. And, for ****s and giggles tomorrow night or Thursday I'll rip the two filters (I have used of both sitting around) apart and take some pictures