Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 11:34 AM

transmission fluid

Hello everyone.

I wanted to know if it is required to replace transmission fluid with genuine nissan's as the manual says. I was thinking of going to a drive through for oil change, trans fluid change and radiator flush.
I have already bought nissan's oil filter from dealer and I'll get the transmission fluid from Nissan if you think it is necessary.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:01 PM

I am a strong believer in using factory fluid, I dont think its neccesary but its a good idea. Also how many miles do you have on your max? When was the last time you did a transmission service? If it been a long time or if youve never had one done You might not want to bring it to a drive through place. If you wanna do it yourself i would recomend saving the old fluid just in case. Ive done t/s on cars with really high mileage and when i put the new fluid in the tranny either slips or wont move at all. In that case you would want to redrain the tranny and fill it with your old fluid(because the friction material is now in the fluid and not on the clutch packs in your tranny) And 95% of the time the tranny is fine again.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:18 PM

It's got about 86k miles. I'm not sure when the last t/s (if any) was done.
Thanks for the info and tips....i was inclined towards using nissan's trans fluid so that's what i'll use now.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:04 PM

i m in same situation with 88.5 k mileage and dont know if was ever changed. i got to do a cv shaft change and that would require to flush the oil. what shoiuld i do? i also wanted to do the oil drain. Would simply unpluging the pan and letting the fluid out and then puting in new fluid until it turns to red color be enough of a procedure? i dont want to get too complicated but i want to flush oil and do cv shaft at tthe same time. kind of like killing 2 birds with one stone. thanks.