Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

?very confused? A/T filter/screen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 07:36 AM

?very confused? A/T filter/screen?

1. Hey guys could someone please tell me where I can locate the damn filter for the transmission (i want to get a new one to replace after fluid change)? I read it is inside the transmission... so wtf I have to open the transmission to get to it? Someone please verify (possibly with illustration cause i dont know parts for crap)... all I see is this pic with pan, and return cooler line but no filter... [IMG]http://www.greghome.com/images/Maxima%20Pics/Modifications/Other%20Mods/XmissionCooler/ReturnLineOff.jpg
[/IMG]

2. Why cant i empty out the pan instead of the return line from radiator (and change the filter.

3. If I empty out the pan and return line would I need to buy any additional fluids/ coolants? cause it says radiator flushes out the coolants... now more confused than before...

4. Autozone has max 99 of mine set to nissan o matic type d fluid "ONLY". Now do i have to look at the labels of amsoil/mobil/dextron for this type d o matic?

Please help me out I read all the stickies about 5 times but I m still confused (dont have service manual with me now but getting it next week).

Old 10-22-2004, 07:56 AM

1)Filter is a screen inside the transmission. When removing the pan it will be visible.
2)Emptying the pan will only get 1/2 the oil.
3)Only need enough trannsmission fluid to refill the tranny (about 12 qts).
4)Mobil 1 ATF is fine. Otherwise Nissan fluid is preferred.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:23 AM

thanks for clarifying man i appreciate it. but i still have one question. my father bought this max from auction with 37.5k miles on it and now i bought it of him to use for now(89k now). he never did transmission fluid change (and i dont know if it was done before he bought it). to be safe i would like to save the old oil in case my transmission wont work with the fresh one. so i have to just drain the pan and the transmission line and save it? what if i want to completely remove all the old oil, but it would obviously mix up with the new one, and hence giving me some mix product of old+new and hence would not let me save the old fluid in tact... sorry if i sound weird...
thanks
Old 10-22-2004, 08:41 AM

I see what you're saying. Let me be clear here, when the FAQ talks about draining from the cooler line...they don't mean just the cooler line. To drain using the cooler line, you will remove ALL the oil from the transmission. You want to be very careful if you go this route.

A simplified explanation of how it works:
1)Remove the top tranny cooler line from the radiator
2)Put a length of rubber hose onto the line and into a bucket
3)Start the car and watch the fluid go into the bucket. Once you have roughly 2qts, shut the engine off
4)Pour 2 qts into the transmission dipstick hole
5)Repeat 3 and 4 until you the fluid comes out clear.
6)Reattach the cooler line to radiator
6)Pour the remaing fluid in 1qt at a time. Start car/shift gears and check fluid level while running. Continue to add until you are in the correct area.

With your transmission having so many miles and possibly never having been changed, I would recommend just emptying the pan (do not use method above). If all goes well and the tranny runs fine, wait until about 3000 miles and drain the pan again. Replacing all the fluid with new synthetic may disrupt some of the crud that is holding things together...making the gears slip too much.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:59 AM

thank you very much. all is clear now. but i asked my father how come he never done atf changed, and he told me that his mechanic (some ghetto mech) told him the fluid was fine. however at about 85k miles i went to get engine oil changed and the dude there told me that atf needs to be changed soon. so i take a look at a dipstick and i just see darkish red color (black red color). didnt check for any signs of little metal debris or anything so far... what color should it be that i should worry about... he also didnt change the engine oil for like 5k miles and i had to drain it all and do a flush... at least now it looks good for engine...
Old 10-22-2004, 09:02 AM

oh and also the reason that i m asking about it is that i would normally want to leave it alone so that at least the tranny lasts me for bit longer but i m going to do a cv axle job myself and i need to drain the fluid from the car so i m kinda stuck with replacing the fluid
Old 10-22-2004, 09:15 AM

When new, the fluid is a light red color. Dark colored fluid means it's time to change. Don't worry too much, normal maintenance calls for tranny fluid to be changed around 60k so you're not too far out.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:22 AM

thanks for all the help so far (its hard to get a good response from here). but last thing I would like you to guide me at is:

to just remove oil from the pan, what is the actual procedure? i read the sticky but i rather get your step by step intuition. And would i be able to change the filter if i do it this way? cause some site calls that in my situation it is necessary to change the filter + fluid every 2 weeks until all the gunk is cleared...
Old 10-22-2004, 09:46 AM

oh and also right now I heated up my car for 10 mins and checked the dipstick. The color is dark red. For some reason I think the fluid is overfilled in there I checked 3 times and after 20 mins of car on the fluid was as following sketch:
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | <------ fluid is here
| |
| H |
| X |
| X |
| X |

Is it overfilled from previous owner? Where is the proper location on the dipstick for fluid to be sitting?
Old 10-22-2004, 10:08 AM

No problem. I have a 2002 which has a drain bolt on the tranny pan. Does yours?

As for the dipstick, it does look to be a little full. I think mine has a cold and hot reading for the dipstick (might be thinking of a different car). It should be between the L and H for Hot reading. Always check when hot.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:53 AM

i think mine has the drain plug and oil pan gasket bracket...
Old 10-22-2004, 11:01 AM

Not sure about the "oil pan gasket bracket". What you want to do is open the drain plug for the tranny and let it drain all the fluid out (its the one with 15 to 20 bolts holding it on). Once it is done draining, remove all 15 to 20 bolts, take the pan down and clean or remove and clean the screen.

*Be sure not to use water when cleaning. Only a cleaner like brake parts cleaner. Wipe the pan down on the inside to get rid of all the metal dust and shavings

You should put a new gasket on the pan and you may want to either get new bolts (they have some sealing material on them) or get the sealant from your local auto store before reinstalling everything.

After that, put 4 qts back in and start the engine. Check the level when hot and keep adding fluid until it is between the L and H on the hot side.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:32 PM

great thanks