Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

The Real Verdict on AMS Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The Real Verdict on AMS Oil

Reading through this forum, I've been getting different opinions on how good of a product AMSOIL really is. Some say it's the end all product in synthetics, while some say stay away from it if you really love your car.

I've tried to read the spreadsheets, but I really don't know what I should be looking at.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by pxh1984
Reading through this forum, I've been getting different opinions on how good of a product AMSOIL really is. Some say it's the end all product in synthetics, while some say stay away from it if you really love your car.

I've tried to read the spreadsheets, but I really don't know what I should be looking at.
I've never read any honest post stating that Amsoil is a bad oil. Amsoil has always been considered the best synthetic available. This being said, most people don't want to use it for their own personal reasons. Price is one. You can get Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart for $3.80 a quart. The cheapest you can get Amsoil is about $4.46 a quart. If you go extended drain intervals, Amsoil will save you money. The oil analysis spreadsheet basically proves that Amsoil is the best oil for extended drain interval. Mobil 1's new SuperSyn formula isn't that far behind Amsoil chemistry. It's plain and simple a great oil and the oil analysis reports show this. Both will give you the same mpg results. The other advantage most will state is that you can go to just about any store and get Mobil 1. Others will say and I agee that if you just plan ahead you won't need to run to the store. Both talkinghorse and iwannabmw will give you the same savings and both will have the oil on your doorstep usually within 3 days. I get it in 1-2 days from them. I've used Amsoil for 12 years and hundreds of thousands of miles using extended drain intervals and have never had any problems. I did 20-25k intervals on my old Honda Civic and sold it in brand new condition at 250k.