Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

coolant flush question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

coolant flush question

ok i posted this in the sticky, but i have a feeling nobody's gonna see it and answer:

i really dont see why you have to use distilled water just to flush the system. the motorvate guy didnt, and he didnt have any problems.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I use distilled water just because thats the purest water with nothing in it.

In my town they full some flouride and alot of additives in the water system (well water)...I use it because its just a precuationary thing

-matt
Old 11-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Guttermouf5150
ok i posted this in the sticky, but i have a feeling nobody's gonna see it and answer:

i really dont see why you have to use distilled water just to flush the system. the motorvate guy didnt, and he didnt have any problems.
IF you use his method of flushing, then by all means use tap water. BUT, if you drain the radiator, add water to flush, and run the car until the t-stat opens, then drain again and repeat (more common method), then using tap water is a bad idea, as the minerals will adhere to the coolant passage walls when the temperature gets hot. Personally, I feel like his method is a bit cumbersome and if you skip the step about draining the engine block, then you aren't removing the majority of impurities. When I drained my engine block (granted I have a VE so my cooling capacity is about a gallon more), almost 7 qts came out between the two plugs. Also, most of the rust and scale deposits came out during the block drain, NOT the radiator drain. So, that is why I suggest using distilled water.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

not to hyjack but the ownser manual says 9qts with res. I was just wondering if you want to go a 50/50 mix and they sell 4 qt jugs of toyota red where do i get my other .5 qt of antifreeze? Is that going to be some of the stuff im not able to completely flush from the banks and radiator or do i just add an extra qt of dis water and not worry?

Just seems like no one ever said anything about this.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i know i can get to the one plug, but the other is only accesible to me by removing the a/c compressor. what if i was to just drain the one plug? do you think i would be okay? the passages are connected anyways, right?

also, you said drain the radiator, and then flush. so do i drain the plug each time i drain after running it? i will be draining, putting distilled water in, running to operating temp., and then draining. repeating until it looks fairly clean. so do i need to open the engine plug each time, or just the radiator plug?

thanks!
Old 11-16-2004, 06:19 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Guttermouf5150
i know i can get to the one plug, but the other is only accesible to me by removing the a/c compressor. what if i was to just drain the one plug? do you think i would be okay? the passages are connected anyways, right?

also, you said drain the radiator, and then flush. so do i drain the plug each time i drain after running it? i will be draining, putting distilled water in, running to operating temp., and then draining. repeating until it looks fairly clean. so do i need to open the engine plug each time, or just the radiator plug?

thanks!
If you want to minimize the amount of waste generated, then you need to open the engine plugs each time -- otherwise that liquid will stay in the system, and so it'll take more drain / fill / run / drain cycles to get the coolant clean. If you can only reach one drain plug, then just use one drain plug. It is better than none.