Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Where to buy NIssan Trans Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where to buy NIssan Trans Fluid

Where can I find Nissan Auto trans Fluid? I know I could probably buy it from the stealership. However I am pretty sure some of you here know of other alternatives, I would not doubt that I can buy it from some of you. I was going to use Mobile 1 synthetic, but some some of you made me think twice.

I am also open to Amsoil if it meets Nissans specs. Where can I purchase it?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:40 PM

Instead try this...

NissanMaticD ATF == Chevron DexronIII + Lubegard Black.

Nissan ATF is a friction modified fluid and I have the above combination in my tranny and the shifts are like butter.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
Instead try this...

NissanMaticD ATF == Chevron DexronIII + Lubegard Black.

Nissan ATF is a friction modified fluid and I have the above combination in my tranny and the shifts are like butter.
I agree. A high quality Dexron III spec'd fluid would do just as well as Nissan's.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:45 PM

Or should I just get Amsoil? Or does it have the same short falls as Mobile 1 ATF?
Old 12-02-2004, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by durckelg
Or should I just get Amsoil? Or does it have the same short falls as Mobile 1 ATF?
I have Mobil 1 w/ Lubegard and so far, no issues. I believe Amsoil is preferred around here. If you want a synthetic fluid, they are both good ones.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by GimmeTorq
I have Mobil 1 w/ Lubegard and so far, no issues. I believe Amsoil is preferred around here. If you want a synthetic fluid, they are both good ones.

How much Lube Guard is recommended? I will probably order it online, so I need to know how much to buy 1, 2, 3?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 10:04 AM

Lubegard black comes in a bottle of 10oz.

What is recommended is 1oz for 1 Quart of ATF and since Maxima 5th gen is a 10 Quart capacity tranny, just put one full bottle into it...

But wait ... hold off an oz and put it into the Power steering reservior (I was stupid to put all 10oz into the tranny and had to buy another to put some into the PS reservior -- this product is quite expensive 1oz=$1). FYI, my steering too has improved vastly and I need less effort to steer the car. Enjoy!!!!

Check this URL : http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf_hfm.html
Old 12-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Wat

If you are still unsure about going to an aftermarket fluid, you could always call dave burnette and order some for less than your current stealership will give it to you.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:44 AM

All:

I was in Kragen yesterday and they carry the latest DexronIII "H" spec which GM claims to go for 100K miles without a change (this spec contains all the goodies that the syn folks claim like less oxidation, foaming, breakdown etc etc).

Chevron as usual (with best base stock and refineries) is the first as always and it is priced @ $1.69 which was the price of G spec ATF. Man, if I hadn't changed my fluid earlier this month, I could have gone for the H spec of the best ATF around "Chevron".

I would suggest going for DexronIII(H) + Lubegard and change its change interval would exceed the synthetics (which is 60K) -- I wouldn't stretch the fluid to that extent but atleast 50K for a way less price than syn.....
Old 12-07-2004, 12:18 PM

I use Amsoil ATF on my 2002.

~limsandy
Old 12-10-2004, 09:36 AM

Screw it,
I am going to take it to the Nissan stealership! They are charging $100 for a flush, and I do know it is a flush (at least that is what they say). I will make it pretty clear that I will check the fluid after it is flushed and that I expect it to look red shiny and new. I am normally am one for doing things myself, but finding the right fluid seems like a PITA. If I do synthetic myself I am already in the $70 range. The “H Spec” is temping though. What do guys (when I say guys, I mean guys and gals) think? Am I stupid to have it done at the dealer?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:10 AM

I read thoroughly in this section of the forums and came to a conclusion that Toyota Red is the best ATF, better than Nissan green. That's what I got in my car now. Go get this if you would like to or read thru those threads on comparison of ATFs from Toyota, Nissan and Honda! I bought that Toyota ATF from Toyota dealer @ $16 per can/bottle.

Main reason for not using American made ATFs is the presence of Silicates in them that harm Japanese cars! That's the conclusion from those threads that I was referring to!!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:24 AM

Dude, that's antifreeze, not ATF!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:01 PM

oops!!! i'm sorry .. wrong post ....
Old 12-11-2004, 08:30 PM

so what antifreeze should import cars buy?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:19 PM

Well I had my trans flush done at Woodfield Nissan Last Monday. The fluid on the dipstick looks brand new like it should. I do not notice any difference in performance (I was not expecting to). I do have to comment that this dealership never fails to f up though. After waiting for the service to be done I am called up to the billing desk. I sign the paperwork and pay the $100. I am then given a set of keys that are not mine. The billing woman and I go over to the service counter to speak with the service woman. The service lady takes the keys and hits the lock button to prove they belong the Black Maxima pulled up front. The lights blink and she give me a look (not a bad look, but a look none the less). I laugh and say, “that’s great, but that is not my car”. The woman look a little bit nervous and said they probably pulled up the wrong car and preceded to go back to the garage where she remained for ~15 mins. I became a little nervous and walked back myself. When I got there I saw my car on the lift, then I saw the service woman. She said the car would be done in 10 mins, and that they had brought the wrong car up front.

How would they accidentally bring up the wrong car if mine was still being worked on with an open ticket. I think that other black Maxima ended up getting a free flush while God knows what was being done on my car. So far I have not noticed anything bad with car, but I cannot help but wonder.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:45 PM

What happens if you use Chevron ATF Dexron III/Mercon without adding a LubeGuard?

I have done flush to my 1997 I30 Automatic a month ago without adding LubeGuard. So far it had been shifting great and shifting improved a lot after flushing the tranny.

Am I missing any benifits by not adding LubeGuard?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by BayareaEMT
What happens if you use Chevron ATF Dexron III/Mercon without adding a LubeGuard?

I have done flush to my 1997 I30 Automatic a month ago without adding LubeGuard. So far it had been shifting great and shifting improved a lot after flushing the tranny.

Am I missing any benifits by not adding LubeGuard?

After a while the clutch disengagement specially downshifts are quite hard like 2nd to 1st would disengage with a jerk, you kind of get fooled if the throttle needs cleaning, but actually the clutch is struggling.

You wouldn't feel the jerk when shifting up that much but definetly downshifts aren't that smooth.