Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

People who are sick of hearing about seafoam, and all its BS, step inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Wat

People who are sick of hearing about seafoam, and all its BS, step inside

Seafoam = + +

Discuss
Old 12-02-2004, 11:35 AM

I'm starting to think it's gay as well. The smoke is fun an all, but about 500 miles after my 02 sensor died. Coincidence? Maybe.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Oh hi....

NEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! SeaFoam pwnz joo all. 1t is teh r0xor!!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Come on now, this thread is weak. Use what you want and move on.

You can't be upset because people are excited about something. I'm tired of people talking about built engines and turbos but I'm not trying to bust their bubbles. If Seafoam really were a crock of shyte, I wouldn't put it in my cars.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Wat

It really is a crock of Shyte, and you shouldnt put it in your car. If it is really that safe to use, it cant be that strong. If its not that strong, its not removing carbon deposits. If its not removing carbon deposits, then what is it doing besides wasting your hard earned $$.

**** on seafoam
Old 12-02-2004, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by E55AMG2
If it is really that safe to use, it cant be that strong. If its not that strong, its not removing carbon deposits. If its not removing carbon deposits, then what is it doing besides wasting your hard earned $$.
I am not a die-hard supporter for Seafoam, and I never use it as I can't find it here in BC, but that statement isn't really valid.

What if it is strong enough to remove carbon deposit but not strong enough to create damages?

One good example: toothpaste. Actually, it is pretty strong, but it is save to put in your mouth. Now, if it is no strong to clean your teeth (which is the most dense part of your body besides bones), then why you use it?
Old 12-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

i love my seafoam
Old 12-02-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm needing a caw

There are more than one gentle engine cleaning products out there. Just because it's not a strong solvent like those 15 min engine flushes use, doesn't mean it's not a good product. If you find some concrete data online, fine. Post it and we'll take a look. If not, then at least post something constructive
Old 12-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by SunMax
I am not a die-hard supporter for Seafoam, and I never use it as I can't find it here in BC, but that statement isn't really valid.

What if it is strong enough to remove carbon deposit but not strong enough to create damages?

One good example: toothpaste. Actually, it is pretty strong, but it is save to put in your mouth. Now, if it is no strong to clean your teeth (which is the most dense part of your body besides bones), then why you use it?
Look at MOC products, they cause no damage and are MUCH stronger than seafoam. I have personally tried the product, and it made lots of white smoke......and thats about all. It really doesnt work. Its like that Zmax stuff, 100% hype.

PS: Bad example, the stuff on your teeth isnt really bonded all that much. If you scrape your teeth gently with a fingernail, it will come off. Also the stuff we consumers can buy is not strong at all, the stuff your dentist uses is about 100x more abrasive and still does no damage to teeth.

Jeff:
Old 12-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by sagamax
i love my seafoam
Go drive around tampa
Old 12-02-2004, 10:44 PM
OU > *

Well, I hate to get into this argument.....but there are SOOO many positive reports on Seafoam that I fail to see the point to this thread. I could understand some stupid fad but obviously the results that people have seen from using this product validate the reasoning behind buying it. It's so funny that on a lot of things we rely so heavily on fellow consumers' opinions and findings, but then something like this thread comes along that makes you scratch your head.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Wat

What results?
Old 12-02-2004, 11:36 PM
OU > *

Results as in smoother idle, cleaner manifold, etc...please don't make me have to go over to BITOG and bring back all the results on the positive influence of Seafoam.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:10 AM
Getting back to his roots

What results?

I gained a consistent 1MPG after using Seafoam the first time, and my idle was much smoother. This year it barely smoked, so I probably won't do it again.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Wat

Anything Dyno Proven??
Old 12-03-2004, 09:51 AM
OU > *

Dyno??? You are kidding, right? LOL
Old 12-03-2004, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by S00NR1
Results as in smoother idle, cleaner manifold, etc...please don't make me have to go over to BITOG and bring back all the results on the positive influence of Seafoam.
What is the link for BITOG? What result?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:23 PM

Anything Dyno Proven??
You find me dyno that measures MPG and how smooth your idle is and ill prove it. except that is not the point of a dyno
Old 12-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

seafoam is pretty much kerosene...of course they add some of their "unique" stuff in it and etc...but it's pretty much kerosene or something close to it. kerosene is liquid enough to run into your combustion chambers and it has enough oiling properties to keep your engine from blowing up. the liquid in a HOT HOT combustion chamber will tend to loosen crap in there. how much is still yet to be determined..but it's almost a steam cleaning w/o the water. that crap it loosens will burn off and out the exhaust it will go...or get stuck to the cat...who knows. that small bit of cleaning is what the people feel.

i've heard people use various fluids to clean the engine...ATF, straight water, etc etc (please don't start pouring water into your motor)...they all serve the same purpose...something liquid that hits a hot combustion chamber that will loosen the crap that's built up in there. so with seafoam's marketing and people praising about it...why not use it? i personally use it...of course i can use ATF or some water too..but why risk it? if you REALLY want to clean the intake manifold you can always unbolt it and give it a good scrubbing.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by DanNY
seafoam is pretty much kerosene...of course they add some of their "unique" stuff in it and etc...but it's pretty much kerosene or something close to it. kerosene is liquid enough to run into your combustion chambers and it has enough oiling properties to keep your engine from blowing up. the liquid in a HOT HOT combustion chamber will tend to loosen crap in there. how much is still yet to be determined..but it's almost a steam cleaning w/o the water. that crap it loosens will burn off and out the exhaust it will go...or get stuck to the cat...who knows. that small bit of cleaning is what the people feel.
This is true, but what is the point in a "small bit of cleaning"??

So with seafoam's marketing and people praising about it...why not use it?
Because its relatively ineffective; when I tried it there was 0 difference in anything. Car Idled the same, gas mileage was the same. All it did was puff out lots of white smoke to make you think it was working. I stuck the car on the dyno before and after......guess what SAME NUMBER. I then used MOC's induction system cleaner kit (2 bottles; one goes in the tank, one in the booster line) and it yeilded 5hp and 8ft-lb on the dyno. I think seafoams benefits are purely psychological.

if you REALLY want to clean the intake manifold you can always unbolt it and give it a good scrubbing.
I do this every 15000 miles or so.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by S00NR1
Dyno??? You are kidding, right? LOL

No, Im not kidding. If it really does work, and actually clean like its supposed to. The results would show up on a dynograph. They didnt.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:45 PM

I've seen the difference with cleaning the outside of the manifold with Seafoam. Very impressive. Even back when I used to used Chemtool, it didn't work on it's first go around. You can't expect anything to work once especially when you're not forcing the cleaning action with a brush or cloth. The Seafoam people never claimed there product works after one time. Just like most other additives like it, you have to use it every 3000 miles or so.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Because its relatively ineffective; when I tried it there was 0 difference in anything. Car Idled the same, gas mileage was the same. All it did was puff out lots of white smoke to make you think it was working. I stuck the car on the dyno before and after......guess what SAME NUMBER. I then used MOC's induction system cleaner kit (2 bottles; one goes in the tank, one in the booster line) and it yeilded 5hp and 8ft-lb on the dyno. I think seafoams benefits are purely psychological.

see the thing is...the "small bit of cleaning" is what the people are feeling and is what sells the product. if they can feel it in their **** dyno then it's good. marketing...ain't it great?
Old 12-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by DanNY
see the thing is...the "small bit of cleaning" is what the people are feeling and is what sells the product. if they can feel it in their **** dyno then it's good. marketing...ain't it great?
Marketing pwnz me.......

Deezo: MOC and Wurth products work the first ime, and every time
Old 12-03-2004, 02:46 PM

Well market those bishes like people market Seafoam. Personally, I like Seafoam but I'm always to see something new.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Wat

Well, they are hardly new. They have been marketed/sold to Pros for a while now. When I used to work at a Mercedes/BMW/Audi shop, thats the only thing we'd use on the customer cars.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So why don't you tell us where to get them and where to find out more about them? I'm sure there are some people who will read about them and give them a try. Then on comes the onslaught of Wurth and MOC praising threads.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Wat

818-896-2258

Try that #
Old 12-09-2004, 09:16 AM

I've never used it, don't intend to. But I wanted to see what it was made out of so I checked.

MSDS for SeaFoam and its tranny cleaner...

http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/trans_tune.pdf

Pale Oil = Hydrocarbon based oil / Petroleum base oil
Naptha = Lighter Fluid / Solvents
IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol / Rubbing Alcohol

Sounds like its not even got half the components something like STP engine treatment has. It may work great but I'm not putting oil directly into my intake manifold; small wonder it smokes. And if I want IPA, I'll buy some water remover or simply go to the drug store. Naptha isn't too terrible as it will burn well.

Seriously, I think the smoke is coming directly from the "pale oil" base. As I have said, I've never done this nor do I plan to but I've seen videos and pictures on the web. Take a look at an car that's engine is losing the rings for an example of burning oil. It looks much the same as a car with SeaFoam added... only the SeaFoamed car is usually much worse due to the fact that oil is being poured into the combustion chambers and not having to work its way up around the rings.

Bash away. I'm just giving you the facts as I see them. And I could be wrong about my conclusions but the MSDS doesn't lie.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Wat

for Barc
Old 12-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Barc
I've never used it, don't intend to. But I wanted to see what it was made out of so I checked.

MSDS for SeaFoam and its tranny cleaner...

http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/trans_tune.pdf

Pale Oil = Hydrocarbon based oil / Petroleum base oil
Naptha = Lighter Fluid / Solvents
IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol / Rubbing Alcohol

Sounds like its not even got half the components something like STP engine treatment has. It may work great but I'm not putting oil directly into my intake manifold; small wonder it smokes. And if I want IPA, I'll buy some water remover or simply go to the drug store. Naptha isn't too terrible as it will burn well.

Seriously, I think the smoke is coming directly from the "pale oil" base. As I have said, I've never done this nor do I plan to but I've seen videos and pictures on the web. Take a look at an car that's engine is losing the rings for an example of burning oil. It looks much the same as a car with SeaFoam added... only the SeaFoamed car is usually much worse due to the fact that oil is being poured into the combustion chambers and not having to work its way up around the rings.

Bash away. I'm just giving you the facts as I see them. And I could be wrong about my conclusions but the MSDS doesn't lie.
Just because the formula is simple doesn't mean it isn't effective. Pale oil is a naptha-based oil, it is probably added to lower the volatility of the mixture so it won't vaporize immediately. I wouldn't use it to clean my injectors, but on Bobistheoilguy's web page it is praised as an effective way to remove carbon buildup.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Wat

it is praised as an effective way to remove carbon buildup.

Carb cleaner is more effective
Old 12-09-2004, 07:33 PM

I wouldn't buy one, seem very sketchy what it does. Instruction seem hard to follow, so I don't see the need unless my car is over 200k miles I just might but why if you only have under 100k or even 50k miles on it
Old 12-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Wat

Carb cleaner or seafoam.

Instructions for carb cleaner

Remove part

Spray

Rinse

Repeat if necessary

reattach parts
Old 12-10-2004, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
Just because the formula is simple doesn't mean it isn't effective. Pale oil is a naptha-based oil, it is probably added to lower the volatility of the mixture so it won't vaporize immediately. I wouldn't use it to clean my injectors, but on Bobistheoilguy's web page it is praised as an effective way to remove carbon buildup.
I agree, simple does not mean ineffective. I can eat a can of beans or I can eat a nice steak. Both will cause my hunger to supress. However, the steak will do a better job and be much better going down.

And I realize what pale oil is. And if its added to keep vaporization to a minimum, then they should have added another product, i.e. one that was not aromatic or at the very least, one with a higher point of ignition. In my opinion, it is in there for the car to smoke, pure and simple. The naptha is there to complete the burn. The iso is there for those that put it into the gas tank as it will, in fact, aide in the removal of water from the gas tank. None of the components will do much harm to a running engine as all will burn, but none of these components have been shown to help, either. Or else you'd see this stuff in every mechanics shop and on every Wal-Mart shelf as a "tune-up in a bottle." The only thing I can conclude on looking at all the evidence is that SeaFoam will, at best, remove some carbon that may be on top of the piston and possibly on the valves as it will stick to it and cause it to burn more completely. This is purely speculative since I would say an engine with this kind of carbon build up would be in need of more than a simple quick-fix-in-a-can. It will, at worst cause the engine to run hotter, block the O2 sensors, foul the plugs, and generally wreak havoc on a modern engine that requires precise inputs of gas and air.

As I've seen, here too SeaFoam is praised as being effective. Does that make it any more or less worthy in reality? Just because someone on a "real" oil forum praises it doesn't mean that they are any more correct in their conclusions. I've yet to see anything published by the SeaFoam company showing a before and after shot of pistons, valves, or even seen a dyno chart. That which I have seen is not convincing, that's all I will say.

To me, all this seems like that infomercial I can remember a few years back showing a man hosing water over a running engine and saying it was able to withstand the water all because it had product XXXX in the crankcase. A little too hard to believe. "If its too good to be true..." I think we all know that addage.

If it works for you, use it. But remember there are several people already announcing fouled O2 sensors and SES lights from pouring this into their cars. Were it me, I'd simply go out and buy some xylene or toulene, naptha, ipa, and probably some kerosene and mix about a pint and pour that into my car... slowly... before I poured a base mixture of pale oil into it (which reminds me more and more of the old "ATF will clean carbon deposits" trick). Even with that mixture, I'd be speculative that it did anything.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:54 PM

dont remember who this happened to but someone here was talking about how seafoam fuked up there engine and some sensors. i say, why fix something that isnt broken?
Old 12-12-2004, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by acidspit86
dont remember who this happened to but someone here was talking about how seafoam fuked up there engine and some sensors. i say, why fix something that isnt broken?
Post that link because I doubt Seafoam caused it.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by acidspit86
i believe i remember this somone put it in through there brake booster line and within a few days or weeks or somthing one of his o2 sensors was reading bad he never really let us know what happened but last i knew i believe seafoam was going to pay for the sensor becuse they say o2 sensor safe on the bottle.

i think were remembering the same thread at least.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:18 AM

I have found Seafoam to be very effective on my teeth even if it doesn't damage them. Tastes like crap, though.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:39 AM
I'm needing a caw

Did you put the Seafoam in the gas tank also? If not, then this is not a fair comparision. The reason why that moc cleaner helped your dyno # is because there's probabl some tolulene or something that slightly increased your octane number. Nothing really to do with any type of cleaning.

Quick Reply: People who are sick of hearing about seafoam, and all its BS, step inside