Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

K&N Filter Test

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 01:03 PM

K&N Filter Test

I found a site where a K&N filter was tested against several different brands. Read the findings - under air filter test.

www.bobistheoilguy.com
Old 01-04-2005, 01:27 PM

Awesome my K&N gets here tomorrow!
Old 01-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is not an air filter they are testing out...it's for OIL filters!!! and the best two seem to be the K&N and Fram that were tested. The testing isn't scientific enough IMO to prove which oil filter will be the best. It doesn't appear that they are keeping all of the variables the same. But for what the test is worth it appears that the two filters have the least amount of resistance inside of them.

This could be regarded as good or as bad. If there is more resistance perhaps the filter is doing a better job filtering out debris in the oil. I don't know enough about the topic of oil flow, but i would imagine you want enough oil to flow through so that you don't run into problems.

That's my 2 cents let's see what others have to say
Old 01-05-2005, 12:48 PM

My K&N filter just came!

As for oil filters I think you are better off with Mobil 1. Fram is not so good and the K&N oil filter is good but pay a little less and go with Mobil 1.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:18 PM

The data on the air filter results are located under the section "air filter test"- the link is located on the left hand side of the web page.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:27 PM

You don't suppose that using an after-market oil filter will cause issues with warranty if you have an engine problem relating to oil / lube issues?? Guess that's why I've always used OEM Nissan filters...
Old 01-05-2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by 04SEelite
You don't suppose that using an after-market oil filter will cause issues with warranty if you have an engine problem relating to oil / lube issues?? Guess that's why I've always used OEM Nissan filters...
Is this true ? does anybody else agree what he just said ?
the reason why I'm asking 'cuz I'm about to get K&N filter & oil filter
Old 01-05-2005, 05:50 PM

Check out this guys website...it's about sentra's. According to bob the oil guy from the link above he works as an engineer for Nissan. So I trust himhttp://www.sentra.net/tech/garage/en...d%20Lubricants
Old 01-07-2005, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by msoemax
Check out this guys website...it's about sentra's. According to bob the oil guy from the link above he works as an engineer for Nissan. So I trust himhttp://www.sentra.net/tech/garage/en...d%20Lubricants
While he may be somewhat knowledgeable, he is too opinionated. Although Mobil 1 is a fantastic oil, Amsoil generally always comes out on top. He also states that Nissan OEM filters are the best and that is definately not true. Mobil 1 and K&N filters are far superior in all the filter tests I've seen over the years.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by mvb4704
Is this true ? does anybody else agree what he just said ?
the reason why I'm asking 'cuz I'm about to get K&N filter & oil filter
K&N OEM replacement air filters give you absolutely no benefit whatsoever. Many have over oiled them after cleaning and Nissan has refused warranty claims because the filter oil was found on the MAF sensor. The Magnusson Moss Act was passed by the Federal Trade Commission to protect consumers. The act basically states that you are allowed to use any aftermarket part you want unless the car manufacturer provides you with the parts for free. However, your aftermarket part caused the problem, they may choose to not cover it under warranty. I've never seen this happen with an oil filter, but many here on the org have had problems with warranty issues using K&N filters. It's not so much K&N's fault, but rather most have over oiled the air filter.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Virus
While he may be somewhat knowledgeable, he is too opinionated. Although Mobil 1 is a fantastic oil, Amsoil generally always comes out on top. He also states that Nissan OEM filters are the best and that is definately not true. Mobil 1 and K&N filters are far superior in all the filter tests I've seen over the years.
I agree with you there. It would be interesting to find out if Nissan calls for GL-4 gear oil for the Sentra since he does make a comment about Motul being better than M1 gear oil, which is GL-5 (don't know about Motul).
Old 01-07-2005, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by 04SEelite
From your owners manual:
Selecting the correct oil filter
Your new NISSAN vehicle is equipped with a high-quality genuine NISSAN oil filter. When replacing, use a genuine NISSAN oil filter or its equivalent for the reason described in "Change intervals".
So, you can use other quality oil filters. I do use Nissan's BTW.